Big update this time so I'll split it into two parts again.¬* First off though thanks again for the encouragement.¬* I'd love to do an Aster sometime Charles, and I think it would be a LOT easier than the accucrafts especially if its already an alchohol burner.¬* I'm all set on coal for now Ryan, but thanks for the offer.¬* You'll have to help me break her in on the inagural run (be it this weekend or if you're at ECLSTS).¬* The sooner the better on your parts Jay, if I can do this in a week on mine I should be able to breeze through yours while my memeory's still fresh on it.
Now to the boiler.¬* Sorry again for blurry pics, I'm having a love/hate relationship with my camera lately...
This is a good view of what went wrong:
As you can see, instead of going with staybolts from the barrel to the crown sheet I tried going with girders:
Well, the girders flat out refused to line up right no matter how much encouragement/fussing/cussing I threw at them.¬* There was also so little room to work with that I couldn't get a proper support inside to peen the rivits over.¬* I decided to just use the rivits as postioning devices and still try to solder the whole lot in place.¬* This was the beggining of the end.¬* If you look at the top picture again you can see the rivits through the crown sheet are still poking up into mid-boiler.¬* There was enough solder to join everything so I went ahead trying to line up the holes for the side stays.¬* Drilling through to ream them wasn't cutting it and I actually ended up with holes next
to the pre-drilled holes in the firebox.¬*¬*
At this point I knew it was over.¬* I could have tried plugging the extra holes but really would not have been happy with and and never would fully trust it.¬* So, for now the mogul boiler Mark1 will make a nice flatcar load or something.