Accucraft Mogul Coal Conversion - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2008, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Slipped Eccentric
Default Accucraft Mogul Coal Conversion

Well, I started a post on this while the old board was up again, so this first post will just be to bring it back up to speed.

I've decided to convert an Accucraft Mogul to coal firing.¬* If that wasn't enough I've given myself a deadline of next saturday!¬* I've made some decent progress so far and expect to get a lot accomplished this weekend.¬* To help and learn some tricks Jeff Redeker will be making the trek North tomorrow.

Tuesday Feb 5th:

Wednesday Feb 6th

Slipped Eccentric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2008, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: Accucraft Mogul Coal Conversion

As of tonight all of the needed parts have arrived.¬* The boiler just needs two more parts shaped, a few holes drilled and then its ready for final assembly.¬* The tender has been dis-assembled and the plumbing has been planned.¬* Will be picking up a disguising part for that tomorrow morning.¬* My only real concern is getting the axple pump finished and working.¬* Please excuse any dark/blurry pictures, been a long day...

Friday Feb 8th:
The Firebox ready to go into the shell

The Barrel and Firebox Shell mocked up with the running boards, cab, water glass and turret

More of the same, this time a driver's eye view
Old 02-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rbednarik

Justin,

Looks real good. Hey, I recognize that manifold! Looking forward to seeing it next weekend, need some coal?
SA #1361
rbednarik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Wow fast progress!! Looks really good. I guess I need to get the parts ordered for mine huh...I can't wait to see it on Sat.

Jason Kovac
Hazlet, NJ
SA# 79
http://www.thetraindepartment.com Your source for Regner, Roundhouse, Accucraft and live steam accessories
Kovacjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Justin's coal fired express.¬* The next step is a Aster standard gauge engine, let me know when you are willing to expand your work.

Happy Trails on the Rails
Offering services to enhance your steam locomotive
Charles
SA #614

[b]Triple R Services
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2008, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the positive comments guys. I was trying to use a new (to me) style for staying the crownsheet and suffice it to say it didn't work so I'll have to start the boiler over. Not a huge setback as I hadn't soldered the whole thing together yet but dissapointing. I'll go into more detail once I get some shuteye. Tomorrow will hopefully be axlepump and plumbing.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Justin,

Very interesting. Keep up the good work. If it was easy we would all be doing it!
SA #62
David Rose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2008, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Big update this time so I'll split it into two parts again.¬* First off though thanks again for the encouragement.¬* I'd love to do an Aster sometime Charles, and I think it would be a LOT easier than the accucrafts especially if its already an alchohol burner.¬* I'm all set on coal for now Ryan, but thanks for the offer.¬* You'll have to help me break her in on the inagural run (be it this weekend or if you're at ECLSTS).¬* The sooner the better on your parts Jay, if I can do this in a week on mine I should be able to breeze through yours while my memeory's still fresh on it.

Now to the boiler.¬* Sorry again for blurry pics, I'm having a love/hate relationship with my camera lately...

This is a good view of what went wrong:

As you can see, instead of going with staybolts from the barrel to the crown sheet I tried going with girders:

Well, the girders flat out refused to line up right no matter how much encouragement/fussing/cussing I threw at them.¬* There was also so little room to work with that I couldn't get a proper support inside to peen the rivits over.¬* I decided to just use the rivits as postioning devices and still try to solder the whole lot in place.¬* This was the beggining of the end.¬* If you look at the top picture again you can see the rivits through the crown sheet are still poking up into mid-boiler.¬* There was enough solder to join everything so I went ahead trying to line up the holes for the side stays.¬* Drilling through to ream them wasn't cutting it and I actually ended up with holes next to the pre-drilled holes in the firebox.¬*¬*

At this point I knew it was over.¬* I could have tried plugging the extra holes but really would not have been happy with and and never would fully trust it.¬* So, for now the mogul boiler Mark1 will make a nice flatcar load or something.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Now for the good!¬* Got quite a bit accomplished today.¬* Mostly the fiddly little stuff that just seems to go on and on in a project like this.

First up was the axlepump.¬* Here's a piccie with the pump and most of the piping attached.¬* All it needs now is mounting holes drilled and the ececntric/strap made.¬* Have some parts for the strap but need to raid the scrap bin at work for a few pieces.

Next up was figuring out mounting postions for tender accessories.¬* Picked up some Trackside Detail parts Saturday for the various openings in the tender top.¬* The toolbox will flip open for access to the hand pump, and the water hatch will open for adding water and checking that the bypass for the axlepump is working.

Got the oil line routed from the lubricator to the new steam distribution block on the reversing valve.¬* Tucks away very nicely under the outer jacket.

Lastly for today I made up the new superheater.¬* I don't like the way the line on my K27 conversion ended up, so this time the lines comes off a fitting from the front flue sheet, runs into a flue then down to the cylinders.¬* I bit more Aster-esque as well.

And to offer up proof that I'm not the only one who had his hands on this project, here's my helpers for Staurday¬*Jeff Redeker and Mike Peterlin doing some precision machine work on the cylinder reversing block.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Justin
As per the photo, Jeff is all talk and not action....either that or he has gone and done it again-flashing thus the censored "x" with not photo in the post!

At this rate you're turn around time per engine will be about a month per job.¬* That is a lot of coal from deep down in the pits, maybe we better go visit the coal veins in Scranton this weekend.

Happy Trails on the Rails
Offering services to enhance your steam locomotive
Charles
SA #614

[b]Triple R Services
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in