No NGRC 2020+? - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2017, 02:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default No NGRC 2020+?

I have heard a few random comments here and there that there will be no Convention in 2020. The 2019 Convention may be the last one. Anybody else hear anything about this?

Just curious.
Michael
Members of Rose City Garden Railway Society
www.rcgrs.com
Members of the NorthWest 'G' RR Club
barnmichael is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2017, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

I thought every 5th year was Denver.
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 09:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Friends,
The 2020 will be bid on at the 2017 convention in Tulsa. 2018 is in Atlanta and 2019 is in Portland. Both on schedule for full steam ahead!
Ted Yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnmichael View Post
I have heard a few random comments here and there that there will be no Convention in 2020. The 2019 Convention may be the last one. Anybody else hear anything about this?

Just curious.
Michael
Who starts these rumors?
Old 03-10-2017, 08:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeman View Post
Who starts these rumors?
Apparently, there was some discussion at the 2016 Convention about this. Some comments were made that the 2019 Convention may have a higher than originally expected attendance since there may be no convention in 2020.

Just what I heard.
Members of Rose City Garden Railway Society
www.rcgrs.com
Members of the NorthWest 'G' RR Club
barnmichael is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 10:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Im*********

Sounds like you have found a group of people to NOT listen to!

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 10:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have been a vendor at the last 7, never heard any thing about the end.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default 2020 ngrc

First... The accepted minimum time to put together a National Convention is 3 years, though you need longer if you want to accomplish certain things. It is a ton of work for a Regional club to put on a NGRC and the lead time for things such as convention centers, hotels and custom convention cars is very long. As an example, when BAGRS commissioned the SF Cable Car for the 2006 convention, Accucraft had a lead time of 5 years and even then we received only a partial order by the time of the convention.

The bid window used to be longer... I remember both Florida and Denver bidding at the 2010 Convention held in Washington and they locked up 2014 and 15. BAGRS put in a bid for the 2016 NGRC at the next convention held in Chicago (I think). Then, if I remember correctly, no clubs bid on 2017 or 2018 until the 2014 NGRC in Tampa where both Atlanta and Tulsa stepped up. Now we jump to the 2015 NGRC in Denver and I was surprised when no clubs put in a bid for the next open date, 2019. Since I was the chairman for the 2016 NGRC I figured a club would contact me so I could arrange time during our Banquet so that they could make their presentation. Nothing... No contact before Denver and nothing afterwards and I started to get worried because I did not want to see the conventions come to an end. It was in late August 2015 when I floated the idea via email to the West Coast club's presidents about hosting the 2019 NGRC. I got more than a few negative responses and then Bill Derville of the Rose City Garden Railway Society contacted me. It took quite a bit of convincing other club members on his part but now they are 100% behind the effort and things are progressing quite nicely.

Now lets hope a club, preferably on the East Coast steps up this year in Tulsa to bid on the 2020 convention. Like I said, it is a lot of work and it takes a dedicated club with enthusiastic volunteers to pull it off. It also takes about $20k in seed money for deposits and such that gets paid out years in advance so it definitely takes some vision by the local club to pull it off. The BAGRS members had quite a few heated discussions before we committed and I'm sure this is true for every club that takes this on.

Now for 2021 I have a radical idea... I think it is time for the Southern California Garden Railway Clubs to band together and put on the largest convention yet!. Because of the large geographic area, I envision a "progressive" convention. One that starts in the South (San Diego?) and progresses North. Maybe spend 1 or 2 nights in each geographic region until the convention ends up in, let's say Santa Barbara or even San Luis Obispo, for the vendor hall and clinics. Or go North to South... Or make a giant loop that ends up at Disneyland... Or...
Yes, it would be a logistics nightmare but wouldn't it be great! There are so many outstanding layouts in Southern California... I'd take 2 weeks off to see them all!

Russ Miller
NGRC 2016 Chairman
Russell Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Im*********

I like the idea Russ, and have a lot of respect for you how you put the recent convention together.

I think you need to consider how people will view the extra cost of "relocating". Actually it's probably just the travel between locations, if someone was to attend for several days.

I think it's a cool idea, although since I still have to work for a living, it might be tough to take 2 weeks off.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2017, 04:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Elmassian View Post
I like the idea Russ, and have a lot of respect for you how you put the recent convention together.

I think you need to consider how people will view the extra cost of "relocating". Actually it's probably just the travel between locations, if someone was to attend for several days.

I think it's a cool idea, although since I still have to work for a living, it might be tough to take 2 weeks off.

Greg
Thanks Greg, It was a lot of FUN planning and throwing the 2016 NGRC.
You know, what really got me thinking about this progressive idea was a show (Infomercial?) I saw about "Adventures by Disney" It turns out they have it down to a science where all of your luggage and stuff ends up at the next destination without the guest having to lift a finger. Hey... I wonder if they can be contracted?

Yeah... i'm still working full time too... I've just been with TAP Plastics for 37 years now so I get 6 weeks vacation a year.
Russell Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in