Double Heading Locos - Is it tough on the locos? - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Double Heading Locos - Is it tough on the locos?

Is it tough on electric model locos to double head?

I was considering getting 2 locos of the exact same model. But then I was thinking even this may be tough on the locos as when grades start one loco is going uphill say while the other is still level. I know this is only for a short time but was still wondering if over time this would be tough on the locos? And then the problem would be exacerbated by having one in front of a train and the other pushing from behind?

Am I putting more into the thought process than needed? What are your experiences on double heading similar engines?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2008, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to NTCGRR
Default RE: Double Heading Locos - Is it tough on the locos?

i used to worry about that and wonder, 13 years later I'd say no, as long as they are the same company in the lash ups. I run 3 unit lash ups all the time. with or w/o a load.

Marty Cozad
North Table Creek GRR
Nebraska City, NE
Is it "REAL" or just 1:29 th
NTCGRR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Marty! Follow up question. Do you only double or triple head? Or do you have one loco at the head and one pushing from behind?

Old 04-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

My experience is that USA trains locos behave very well together (same model), but my Aristos are less forgiving (same model, more variability in performance). The faster loco gets the lead position - seems to be easier on the couplers. The difference between them is not great but it is a factor. I regularly run 3 u-boats together. Mind you I haven't run them for 13 years either - ask me later
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2008, 11:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

It is not hard on the engines at all. I have two SD-45's two SD 40-2's and three NW-2's Plus a F unit A&B.

I have never mixed manufactures so I cant say what the differents is.

One test I do is to put two units on the track. ( like a SD-45 and a SD40-2 which are made by differt manufactures)

Space them about 4 inces apart. Turn on the power ( Make sure they are going the same direction.) If they are compatable the 4 inch space you put between them should remain pretty close the same. If one pulls away from the other or one runs into the other depending on orientation. Then you might have trouble.

Or course then there is the guy who went to Marty's last year and put his A & B units on the track with the B unit facing the wrong direction. Not only did his A unit pull all the Passenger cars but it also pulled the B unit which was trying to go the other direction.
Of course this individual could not figure out why after two laps around Mary's layout he had to change batteries. Or course we are mot mentioning any names of course. It might have a derogatory impact on my reputation.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

I mix them up all the time. But,I use Airwire with individual receivers in each loco so if I have two locos that are not reasonably matched I just make a change to CV 6 to more closely speed match. I love that flexibility. I have been running a new Aristo GP40 with a USA GP30 and GP38-2.
Paul Burch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

One thing to note, if you are using track power, is that any interruption of power to the locos themselves will induce excessive strain on the drive system.

Say you're running SD-45's. Lead loco (at 16 pounds) hits a dead spot, and now the trailing loco has an immediate extra 16 pound load to push (as well as pull the rest of the train). After the trailing loco shoves the lead unit through the dead spot, the lead engine now goes immediately to its previous power setting (thing of 0-40 MPH in 1/2 inch), and simultaniously gets an additional 16 pound dead weight load thrown on it, as the trailing loco hits the dead spot.

You're not likely to notice this happening unless the dead spots are longer than the length of two locos...

Not a good thing...

Life isn't a journey to the grave, intending on arriving safely in a pretty and well kept body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, loudly proclaiming,'Wow! Whata ride!
(Embracing the Dimside. Let the Farce be with you. Dimness is what you make of it. Make mine Dim.)
This could get interesting...
Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to NTCGRR

What I'd really like to see is Paul B. bring his two Macs and try one at each end taking the coal train up the high line.
Airwire is the only RC I think I would trust to do that.
My powered units are always up front.

Marty Cozad
North Table Creek GRR
Nebraska City, NE
Is it "REAL" or just 1:29 th
NTCGRR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2008, 05:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

If you tie the locos together electrically, dead spots will not matter, matter of fact they disappear as you have more power pick up points for the locos.
I always run 2 locos with the wires between them and have had no problem as long as they were matched (from the same MFG.)
Aristocraft sells the MU cable to te the locos together.
I run my LGB Stainz 2 locos and a powered tender together.
I have passenger trains with some having wheels with power pickups and tie these to the engine, no flickering lights!!!
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2008, 11:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Torby

like to see is Paul B. bring his two Macs

That sounds cool.

At Ric's operating session last fall, I took some cars down to southern division with my Mallet, and Ric wanted to try it. He coupled his Uninta Mallet to the front. "Ok, on the count of 3," but he'd forgotten to tell his loco to go forward. The result of those two strong locos pushing on the train were .. er.. amusing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in