D&RGW #50: LGB vs. Accucraft - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2015, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default D&RGW #50: LGB vs. Accucraft

Friends,
Anyone have access to both for photos together? I know there is a difference in advertised scales, but some modelers said the LGB version was likely a little large for 1:22 scale. LGB version is a good little locomotive. How about the Accucraft version? Anyway, just wondering about the comparisons. Thanks!
Ted Yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 06:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

I only have the LGB version, the original 2063 and it runs great and pulls lots of cars.
I now have 3 of these and all have been converted to DCC.

The newer LGB small diesels are lighter due to no more lead being used and do not pull as many cars.
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 06:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Yarbrough View Post
Friends,
Anyone have access to both for photos together? I know there is a difference in advertised scales, but some modelers said the LGB version was likely a little large for 1:22 scale. LGB version is a good little locomotive. How about the Accucraft version? Anyway, just wondering about the comparisons. Thanks!
Ted, actually, what I remember is that LGB #50 was said to be one of the few LGB models almost exactly 1:22.5 scale. Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi
zubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 08:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

I had a quick fiddle in paint.
There is this amazing resource called Google.... It has pictures of nearly everything.
My LGB version is a real smooooth runner. I believe it is 1:22.5. The door height is 73mm to give you some idea of scale.
I'm not telling which is which.

Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D&RGW#50_Compare.jpg (99.2 KB, 104 views)
Garratt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

The bottom picture is LGB. Two clues: the "CAUTION" sign on the door and the engineer in the cab.

The urban legend is that the floor of the cab had been removed by the Colorado Railroad Museum for repairs. They put the caution sign on the door to warn visitors of the hazard. This just happened to be the time when LGB came by to document and measure the engine for production.

Chuck

chuck n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Nah. It says "caution" because it's a diesel! :P

In all seriousness, though, I'd be interested in a size comparison as well. I've run the LGB version with 1:20 equipment out at the Colorado RR museum, and it looks respectable. (Industrial diesels, after all, came in a variety of sizes.) I'd be interested to see how it compares sizewise with the Accucraft version. It's one of the locos that's on my "someday" list. (Hey, it's got siderods! It counts!)

Later,

K
East Broad Top is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

While I don't have an Accucraft #50, I have seen it in person and it is larger then the LGB #50.

Although fairly similar in size overall, the width on the Accucraft #50 is probably the easiest dimension that "sticks out" when compared to the LGB #50. Meaning the Accucraft #50 is wider then LGB sized rolling stock. LGB #50 matches LGB/USA/Bachmann 1:22.5 rolling stock width perfectly.

The LGB #50 is a great little loco. Mine was converted to battery power and Airwire control. I also painted all the brass grab irons black and painted the bell a dirty brass.

Last summer I did some upgrading to the little guy including adding air hoses, close mounted Kadee couplers, and I also finally removed the caution sign on the door...think I used rubbing alcohol. However, unfortunately, I don't seem to have any recent pics of it.

Here are two older pics showing #50 on the layout (I included links to large images so you can see the details better):

Link to large image

Link to large image
San Juan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in