Is Gary Raymond still in Business? - Page 3 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #21 (permalink)

Default RE: Is Gary Raymond still in Business?

Enginear,
What sideframes are you going to use? That might make a difference in the wheel you choose. When I need to buy wheels to replace plastic I use Gary Raymond A34RL, now $5.95 per axle. They have a nice profile and track really well. If its for the Aristo barber (rollerbearing) truck, I would just stick with the Aristo 29111D at $22.80 for four. I'm not sure Gary Raymond makes a wheel without the axle flange that will fit the Aristo rollerbearing truck without modification to the sideframe or the axle. As a side note, years ago I purchased a whole bunch of used Raymond wheels in the A34 series at a train show for $1.00 per axle. I also had at the time some Aristo barber trucks with plastic wheels that needed conversion. In this case I pulled the wheels off the axles and had a machinist friend turn down the flanges on the axles. They then were a good fit for the Aristo sideframes.
Paul Burch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #22 (permalink)

Hi Paul
? where do you find the 29111D
thanks dick
Dick413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #23 (permalink)

Wow, that's a find at a buck! Good advice on turning those. I had hoped that GR would have done that to a model for sale. I could just get the Aristo, I think they will be too large for under the flat car? I was hoping for something 33 or even 28". Aren't the Aristo's 36"??
Enginear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #24 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Dick the 29111D is an Aristo part number, any Aristo dealer or Aristo themselves.

Of course they are periodically out of them for a year at a time...

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 10:57 AM   #25 (permalink)

Wholesale Trains lists 29111D's as available at $22.80 as does the Aristo store,same price. If they actually are available or in stock is another thing.
Paul Burch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 11:15 AM   #26 (permalink)

so what's wrong with the USA 33'' wheels from the well cars?

Dirk
SD90WLMT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #27 (permalink)

I already have four sets of Aristo trucks with spinners that I thought I'd use first. Maybe I'll save them for another project.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #28 (permalink)

thanks Paul i tryed aristo out of stock and some other dealers still no good did not try wholesale trains
thanks
dick
Dick413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #29 (permalink)

I may have to end up with NWSL wheels. They have taken care of me before with my O scale cars. They pretty much do them as ordered it seemed for large orders. Last time I ordered 100 axles to get the discount. I don't know if they do that for G scale. Even if they do, it seems all these car's trucks are different. Probably still not as bad as O scale over the years. I don't even see a listing for the Aristo w/ spinners. They do them for O scale Lionel and Atlas. May have to wait for Aristo........................or order the USAs,.... or turn down some sanvals or GRs????
Old 01-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #30 (permalink)

As to the Aristo Barber truck and using Aristo metal wheels, the more readily available Aristo ART-29111B wheels can be adapted to use in place of the ART-29111D wheels. The issue to deal with concerns the projecting hub on the suffix "B" wheels. (If you just try to install the "B" wheels in the Barber truck, they won't rotate freely.)

However, there is a method that Aristo Forum member, Ron Wenger, suggested a long time ago that I used and later documented in a vignette*.

That method is to countersink (bevel) the flange side of the brass bushing inserts that goes into the side frames. So doing provides just enough extra distance to accept the ART-29111B projecting wheel hub area so they will freely turn when installed. I've done countless wheel installations this way for the Aristo Barber trucks

* See article, Aristo-Craft Metal Wheel "train accessory" kits and wheel issues
When there, be sure to SCROLL DOWN TO "Adapting the Barber Truck to Accept ART-29111B metal wheels"

-Ted
Ted Doskaris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in