Restoring the sheen to rolling stock paint - Page 2 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2020, 11:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsop View Post
Hi Homo Habilis, thanks for the idea.i am based in the Uk so not sure if I can get that product. Put it did make me wonder if applying some Johnson&Johnson Pledge furniture spray and see if that brings back the colour - may just try some on a small panel and see if it makes any difference. Phil
The plastic modellers I have spoken to use pledge to seal their paint work prior to applying decals so it should work. I have used a wood polish which has a bees wax component to restore the surrounds of the signal lights on a 1:1 museum railway I volunteer at.

Armourall is available in the UK
https://www.amazon.co.uk/armor/s?k=armor+all
Batsco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2020, 09:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

Armor all wont really do it. Its like putting a wet finger on a chalk board to see it turn darker.

The chances are hight that after 15 years, the paint is fully oxidized. This is like rust for paint and plastics...depends whatís underneath.
The plastic, it depends.

I deal with strong sun here in Denver. Frankly, i bring my stuff in , even if shaded, to avoid the inevitable bleaching. Uv is strong even under the trees.

I use a product called classic dry wash and guard. Nfi

Its meant for concours cars.

I used it on a 60 year old raleigh bike with hand pin striping, which had dulled.

The product shined the paint, and took off the oxidized surface without harming the delicate red pin stripes and gold water decals.

Its a miracle product. It has ultra fine pumice suspended in a non mineral solution, snd as you rub, the pumice breaks down to even finer micro particles.

I use it on guitar finishes, and plastics.

It is your best bet, imho, with the above caveats. If the paint or plastic is fully baked and oxidized throughout, its unlikely to help.

Another more available oprion might be mcguires glaze car wax. Super low abrasion, but, mineral base, so some decals might be affected. Fully dry ink and paint graphics, probably not. Youll need to be prepared to clean the residue from plank crevices, etc.
stevedenver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2020, 04:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Well, I have had success in bring the red back to a deeper color on my USAT locos, and also restoring the black of the ties on my track.

The paint is fragile, so I would be concerned with any abrasive, i.e. you don't know how thick it is, quite different from a car, a guitar, and a quality classic bicycle with a good paint job to begin with.

I have likewise had success with the mcguires cleaner wax, but again the abrasive worries me as it indeed will remove some paint, oxidized or not.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 09:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

Iíd be cautious of warm water on plastic,it might cause warping. I realize paints vary, but on old cars we use DuPont number 7 polishing compound But old cars donít usually have decals.
BrentGroth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2020, 02:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
1st Class Member

Hi all,I have always used Pledge furnisher Polish. I have used it on Lionell many Years ago and used on G gage and Live steam Engines . Have had Verry good luck. Try it , You will keep a spray can for Your self .iT WILL KEEP YOUR ROLLING STOCK AND ENGINES preteen
Old 06-15-2020, 03:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Yes, but if you are where the sun can fade your paint, some UV protection is helpful. Armorall has had UV protection for some time, but if you worry about armorall, then get 303, a uv-only protectant, originally used for airplane cockpits where fade from sun is terrible.

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in