Parts list and or wiring diagram for 22194 SP Mogul or GN/C&O 0-4-0? - Page 2 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Jerry McColgan
Default RE: Parts list and or wiring diagram for 22194 SP Mogul or GN/C&O 0-4-0?

Posted By jgallaway81 on 18 Feb 2011 06:10 PM
Hey Jerry, sorry about your troubles.

If its any consolation, it doesn't just happen when you are older. My wife also has issues which we need to keep a very careful eye on.

I happened to have discovered the manual while looking for the parts diagrams for ANY of the three engines, either the C&O or GN 0-4-0 switchers or the SP mogul. That blasted little mysterious vanderbilt tender is the ONLY LGB item in my roster that I haven't found diagrams for.

Hi (sorry but I don't know your first name),

We were incredibly lucky. It turned out that Marilyn did not have a glioma as was at first believed but that sure put our priorities in perspective and toy trains did not make the top 10. Marilyn has stopped seeing the neurosurgeon and is instead seeing a neurologist which says everything.

A side effect for me has been that I do not seem to keep focused on anything anymore. Perhaps that will change when she retires in a few months.

I have discovered over the years that there is a high percentage of MLSers who have severe medical situations in their families that they are dealing with (quietly). Sometimes things that are said on MLS may reflect things in someone's life that has nothing to do with toy trains.

That Vanderbilt Tender is an oddity that has mystified me as well. I am not sure if the one I have is from a Mogul or from a 2-4-0 but I know the other tender I intend to use was from a 2019s and is definitely NOT wired correctly for a 22194.

Eventually I will get back to it and sort it out. I do appreciate your assistance,

Jerry
Jerry McColgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default RE: Parts list and or wiring diagram for 22194 SP Mogul or GN/C&O 0-4-0?

I know this is a old topic but I just got one in and the plug was torn off. I have a plug but need to see which order they go There is a set of three and a set of two not sure how to but back in plug. Any one have picture or order?
Mike
Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 04:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

If you have the oil tender with the 5 pin connector, then search this site for the 69232 tender info as it shows info form Stan Cederleaf and myself on what we found on the 5 pin connector wiring.
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 05:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

Sound Systems Forum/Topic: LGB Mogul to Sound tender connection[/b]

SteveC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 05:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

this info is helpful for the tender but I can not find which wire goes to what pin. I have 2 sets of wires coming from the mogul I set has 3 wires and the other is 2 wires What I am looking for is which wire goes to what pin.
Mike
Old 12-17-2012, 04:17 AM   #16 (permalink)

On the 5 wire cable connection:

2 of the wires are easy to figure out... With the engine switch set to 0, wheels are connected to 2 of the pins and these pins go to the socket at the rear of the tender.
Looking from the rear of the engine, left pin to engine left wheel, right pin to right wheel.
Now set switch to highest number and a third wire is connected to one side of the engine, this is the common power lead for light and sound.
A 4th wire is for the rear tender light(5 volts) and the fifth wire is for the sound card if present.

I do not know of a real wiring diagram for any LGB locos, just cable documents and I never saw one with the mogul with 5 wires.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:35 AM   #17 (permalink)

Thanks Dan this is the latest mogul with the vandy sound tender
Mike
Old 04-12-2015, 11:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

Time flies...

Here it is now 2015 and I find myself back where I stated this topic.

I now have the same questions and when I Googled the questions about the 22194s I ended up back here at my old topic (I'm not a fast mover or thinker these days but that's OK since the layout is exactly as it was when I started this topic years ago). Many of the trains have probably not been run in the meantime.

What has changed is that I have decided to change the crawl space layout to LGB MTS rather than analog track power as it turns out that most of the locos already have decoders in them.

Surprisingly I am back with the two 22194's. The new big LGB LOK book has been very helpful in figuring out which locos are likely to have factory decoders.

It is a problem programming them all with ID numbers that I can keep track of but I've figured out how to use my Massoth Navigator with an LGB Central Station III to program the ID of any decoder equipped LGB loco anywhere on the layout - until I got to the 22194s. The LOK book said the 22194s have decoders built in and strangely they react (move) when I try to program them but they do not respond when I try to run them with the Navigator.

One has an LGB Mogul Tender with a Sierra Sound System and the other has the dinky LGB Southern Pacific Tender.

Tomorrow I will try putting an LGB 55021 or Massoth L decoder in the SP tender and see if I can then program the loco and tender.

I will also go back over the previous posts and see if I can download the referenced links but so far they have to worked.

I will probable have more LGB MTS questions and I appreciate the help that has been given.

Dan, I'll be looking into substitutes for the LGB 55021 and Massoth L decoders or whatever else is plug in compatible with LGB 6 & 10 pin interfaces (mostly Moguls, Forneys and Mikados). I really hate putting decoders and sound units in the Forneys but I have done it a few times.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone within several hundred miles that are running LGB MTS layouts and at this point in my life it really seems perfect for me.

LGB - I'm REALLY glad I met ya all those years ago. I sure miss LGBOA!!!

Thanks guys,

Jerry

PS Hopefully any errors are minimal I am trying to type this while using the TV as a monitor.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:56 AM   #19 (permalink)

OK. Some progress here. I did check the links plus I found the instructions which say:

Multi-Train System
To use this model with the LGB
Multi-Train System, both loco and
tender have to be equipped with
decoders.
Locomotive:
The locomotive is equipped with a
DCC interface to connect a decoder
(Fig. 6). Remove the plug on the
decoder interface and connect the
decoder. We recommend the 55027
MTS Loco Decoder III. Its plug fits
directly onto the socket of the interface.

Hints:
- The plug of the decoder fits only in
one direction onto the pins on the
loco circuit board.
- If the decoder is removed, the original
plug must be replaced on the
DCC interface. Otherwise, the loco
will not work.
- The power control switch does not
work when a decoder is installed.
Tender:
The tender has a direct decoder
interface. For Multi-Train System
operation, it can be equipped with an
LGB MTS Decoder (LGB 55021). The
MTS Decoder Interface Cable (LGB
55026) is not required.
Hint: If this model is equipped with a
decoder, the digital/analog DIP
switches on the tender circuit board
must be set to OFF. The DIP switches
should remain in this setting, even if
the model is used on an analog layout.
Attention! We strongly recommend
decoder installation by an LGB service
station. For more information,
contact your authorized LGB retailer
or an LGB service station (see
Authorized Service).
When loco and tender are equipped
with decoders, you can control the
functions remotely. Press the lighting
button (“9” with remotes) to turn
the lights on or off. Press the function
buttons to control the following
functions:
1: Whistle
2: Bell
With a Loco Remote or Universal
Remote, press the numbered loco
function buttons. For example, to
trigger the bell, press button “2” on
the Loco Remote or Universal
Remote.

I hate to use up two to four of my remaining LGB/Massoth decoders but at least it appears that the info I had that these locos came with decoders was incorrect so I won't waste more time in that direction.

With the cost of two decoders per 22194 I may first look at some other LGB locos that just need a single decoder.

Jerry
Old 04-14-2015, 06:11 AM   #20 (permalink)

Jerry, make sure when programming locos with 2 decoders that you only have one hooked up at a time.
This is easy for the 22194 engine as you would leave the tender disconnected. The tender is not as easy as it gets its power from the engine.
Also when having problems make sure the decoder (CV29) and central station are set to the same speed steps. The MTS III with a navigator can do 14 and 28 speed steps and many 55021 decoders will do both.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in