Trainworld or Trainland - Page 2 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2016, 10:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garratt View Post
I can still hear that brash female voice "TrainWorld, Item number". It has scarred me for life!

751 McDonald Ave. Brooklyn, New York
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6358...7i13312!8i6656

293 Sunrise Highway Lynbrook, New York
https://www.google.com/maps/place/29...674324!6m1!1e1

The video is a year old now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns4TFF5aOPE

Andrew
Andrew, thanks for clearing up the misconceptions about the Lynbrook location. Google Street View pretty much shows it as it is. A pleasant location in suburban Long Island.
backyardRR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
TDY to Earth

That is the location... no doubt in my mind. The exterior of the building has been redone, and the big fence is gone. Much better looking.
Dr Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

I've been to both locations, the areas are very different, but the attitude is the same. That also goes for in person or on the phone, ALL BUSINESS, if you are prepared with part numbers you will do fine on the initial order. Have never had an issue with anything, not to say it doesn't happen. If you can deal with the ATTITUDE you can find what you are looking for, and at a reasonable price. Jersey dealers are the same, just not as abrupt.
Nick Jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 03:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. Useful comments, appreciate it.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Jr View Post
I've been to both locations, the areas are very different, but the attitude is the same. That also goes for in person or on the phone, ALL BUSINESS, if you are prepared with part numbers you will do fine on the initial order. Have never had an issue with anything, not to say it doesn't happen. If you can deal with the ATTITUDE you can find what you are looking for, and at a reasonable price. Jersey dealers are the same, just not as abrupt.
"All business" is fine..I have no problem with that..but there is a fine-line between "all business" and "rude attitude" I stopped ordering from Trainworld/Trainland a decade ago, because of the attitude.

Problem order: They charged me more than their advertised price in the current issue of Garden Railways. When I contacted them to let them know, the only solution was "you can return it"..I didnt want to return it! I only wanted a refund for what I was over-charged. It wasnt a ton of money, and I wanted the locomotive, so I just let it go rather than deal with the hassle of a return. (This could have been a legit mistake, but it seemed a bit fishy..)

Tried again maybe a year later..having learned the previous lesson, this time I made sure to get the price confirmed while I was on the phone placing the order..On the phone with the lady taking the order, near the end of the ordering process:

Me: "can I have the total price please?"
Order lady: "I know my job sir"

Me: (not understanding what she meant by that..saying nothing in reply..a silent pause goes by for a few seconds)

Me: "hello? still there?"
Order lady: "yes sir?"
Me: "can I have the total price please?"
Order lady: "I know my job sir"

Me: "umm..ok?" (still not getting it..then finally it sinks in..)
Me: "can I have the price of the order?"
Order lady: "I know how to do my job"
Me: "cancel the order..good bye."

She refused to give me the price! because she "knew her job" and apparently was incapable of making a mistake, so I had no right to question her..wow.

never ordered from them again, and never will..

Scot

Scot Lawrence -
Rochester, NY USA
SA #2089
www.scotlawrence.com
Scottychaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2016, 05:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

You know, with all the amazing things that NYC offers, theatres, museums, restaurants, people watching, etc., I cannot imagine taking the time to go to TW. Even old FOA Schwartz was more likely to wow than TW. jus sayin

I have done business wit TW NJ since 1986.
All of the above is true.
They used to have superb competitive pricing , so the attitude is less tolerable by far.

I agree about Star and Nicholas Smith, but neither is competitively priced.

With a bit of work, once can find a bit better new retail prices. and pleasantness.

I have the same reaction to the charmer answering the phone, but, they ARE imho competent, and a little civility and gratefulness on my end usually makes those folks very willing to please.

I have had a couple of missing items, missing bucket and spigot on the original CONOCO LGB tank car, it was promptly and courteously sent. That was about 1988.

Bought an NOS 2051s which advertised as new, was probably a returned item. I arrived with one dim headlamp and, a broken handrail under the cab window. When I asked for a handrail to replace the broken one, I was asked for a photo of a broken hand rail! Nothing like making things easy for a customer with a damaged item......

I have from time to time received my LGB boxes crushed due to careless packing.

I have spent many thousands with TW, and at one time happily so.

TW was an amazing place when walthers had a death grip on most other distributors. There was a time when TW bought old stock, closed them out, and made LGB affordable, (even hordable!!! LOL).

In Denver, there is Caboose Hobbies, still pretty amazing, but less so than ten yrs ago. But they were full retail, and a walthers distributor. I had no qualms about saving 40-60% and foregoing the local merchant, one I had also done business since 1970!

WIth Marklin, more careful and limited production , dealers dropping, and the demise in general of people who have trains as an interest and disposable $$$$, and Walthers, presently I think the days of really affordable LGB are gone, but for the used market.

They are , I believe high volume, low service, somewhat low prices, and, simply, to geared to help, only to process and ship, which sans problems, they do well, and, reflect modern sales. FWIW, I recently bought a new BMW, and was treated with rudeness, disorganized communication and delivery and generally poorly as the old Murray Motors dealership has been purchased by a big, low end national dealer, Sonic.
I know how the other half lives, and it sucks.......

OTOH, Costco rocks when there is a problem.

Its top down management that sets the tone with employees.
if I sold to geezers, (as a large part of the train world)
, I might be a bit more old school in service.
I guess if you have Sopranos as your customers, the 'tude is to be expected.......

Last edited by stevedenver; 06-17-2016 at 06:36 PM.
stevedenver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2016, 04:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

Exclamation

via email today !

doug c
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2016, 08:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug C View Post

via email today !

doug c
Nice to give you a whole days notice
Old 10-29-2016, 06:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

Lightbulb

Actually I was reminded that Ken B. originally posted this Oct. 9th on another forum as a thread, when I popped in there to post if not already done.

Not too many peoples will travel many miles to attend a store 'minor event'.

IF Ron is travelling around, maybe he will be this years embedded manufacturer rep at the regional LS reseller booth, at our ST'17.

Plausible as Piko had their product&sales mgr embedded at the booth for day 1 of ST'16. He seemed to have a great time visiting with potential and existing consumers of their product line.

doug c
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2016, 01:14 AM   #20 (permalink)

Scotty People pay extra to have that New York Attitude (NYA) in stores. It adds to the ambiance. Same thing in taxi cabs and on the subway, you expect to have the NYA thrown at you every day.

If New York did not have NYA, then it would be just like Peoria, and I have nothing against Peoria but it does not have an attitude.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in