Trainworld or Trainland - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2016, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Trainworld or Trainland

Folks I am going to be a tourist in NYC later in the summer. I'm confident my family will endour one side trip. I wonder if there is a better location to check out, particularly knowing my interest lies in Large Scale, Trainworld or Trainland. If you have thoughts or comments, I would appreciate them. Thank you.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2016, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Keep in mind that Trainland is actually not in NYC but in Lynbrook Long Island about 15 miles outside of Manhatten. Trainworld is in Brooklyn. If you have a car there is no real problem. If not, the LIRR Lynbrook station is not too far away. Brooklyn will require the subway. Trainland does stock large scale but I have found that most items come from the warehouse in Brooklyn. So, either should work but if you are looking for a specific item I would try Brooklyn. Or call ahead to check.
Oh and either way you get there, avoid rush hour.
backyardRR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2016, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

I visited my daughter in NY a few years back and went to Trainworld. Was underwhelmed to say the least. Many people on phones taking orders. A little G scale in the back room but not very much.
Martan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 06:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDY to Earth

I went to Trainland in Lynbrook a few years ago. The small parking lot had a 15 foot high security fence with six strands of barbed wire [3 on each side] and rolled concertina wire on the top. The roof was protected by concertina wire as well. Told me a lot about the location. I spent about $400 in cash and was required to show photo ID before they would take my money.

Staff was not helpful or pleasant. Basically was told, "If you can find it, you can buy it". My mail order experience was less satisfactory; refused to EXCHANGE defective LGB cars. BEST OF LUCK.
Dr Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2016, 07:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

When there wasn't a problem, everything went well with my internet/ mail orders all was fine. If there was a problem, here is the missing part. Next time contact LGB, don't bother us.

I had similar problems from another net supplier, but they are no longer in business. Could it be because I stopped buying from them too?

I've never been to the stores, my only experience is with the remote contact.

I don't know what your plans are, but three excellent "G" gauge stores in the northeastern US are:

Charles Ro, Malden, Ma

Nicholas Smith, Broomhall, Pa (suberban Philadelphia)

Star Hobbies, Annapolis, Md

I've had excellent service from all of the above. They have large inventories on the floor and with a question they are helpful finding something in the back.

Chuck

Last edited by chuck n; 05-31-2016 at 08:10 PM.
chuck n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2016, 08:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah Chuck all the ones that I stopped buying from because of issues with my orders have also gone the way of the dodo. The collective karma perhaps?

Andrew
Garratt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2016, 09:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Andrew

With Trainworld an LGB car arrived without a brake hose on on end, a small thing, but it wasn't there.

I called and later received it taped to a card. Great, but for the note attached.

Later I had a order of three items to St. Albans. They had two items which I quickly received. Nothing was said about back ordering the third. Six months later it arrived with the queen post on one of the bolsters was broken. Called, the answer was "call LGB, it's their problem, not ours".

End of my business with them. I was able to fix it, but the aditude left a lot to be desired.

What bothered me most, was that neither of these purchases were my first with either vendor. At the time, a significant amount of my inventory came from them.

Chuck

Last edited by chuck n; 05-31-2016 at 09:23 PM.
chuck n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2016, 03:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Chuck, I spent quite a lot with St Aubins and was happy to save on shipping requesting surface mail overseas. I would often buy several items at a time so they in their daftness would put them all in a big box which exceeded the allowable box size then send them by the most expensive shipping service possible. I am convinced they got incentives to use the more expense services. What should have cost $100 or so in shipping, cost me $500! Defeated the entire purpose of doing business with them. A nitwit could do better so I blacklisted them for 10 years then they carcked it, like the dodo. All history now...

Andrew
Old 06-01-2016, 08:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rivet View Post
I went to Trainland in Lynbrook a few years ago. The small parking lot had a 15 foot high security fence with six strands of barbed wire [3 on each side] and rolled concertina wire on the top. The roof was protected by concertina wire as well. Told me a lot about the location. I spent about $400 in cash and was required to show photo ID before they would take my money.

Staff was not helpful or pleasant. Basically was told, "If you can find it, you can buy it". My mail order experience was less satisfactory; refused to EXCHANGE defective LGB cars. BEST OF LUCK.
This does not sound like the Lynbrook location (Trainland). Perhaps Brooklyn? (Trainworld) The location in Lynbrook is certainly not in a bad area.
backyardRR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2016, 09:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

I can still hear that brash female voice "TrainWorld, Item number". It has scarred me for life!

751 McDonald Ave. Brooklyn, New York
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6358...7i13312!8i6656

293 Sunrise Highway Lynbrook, New York
https://www.google.com/maps/place/29...674324!6m1!1e1

The video is a year old now

Andrew

Last edited by Garratt; 06-01-2016 at 09:23 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in