MTH Big Boy v USA Big Boy - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default MTH Big Boy v USA Big Boy

Ok I've been doing the dollars Verses SINCE thing looking at the work situation. I want the USA Trains Big Boy but the cash outlay is quit a bit. The MTH Big Boy look real nice for the money and would give me a BB for the time being. Plus it could be bashed for additional detail missing.

Here's my problem, How you who own the MTH feel about pulling 1:29 cars? To far out of scale? I'm not a bolt counter but I need some cemilence of realism when I run.

Plus for 2/3 the money I could have 2 engines. The BB and a Triplex.
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: MTH Big Boy v USA Big Boy

First of all I don't have either. There's Ray and Nick and others who could do a better comparison. I do have the MTH Challenger and run just DCS engines now. I had two USAs. What I can say is the MTH engines are a great value. They run good and are built to last. I run my MTH diesels with 1/29 scale cars all day long. Some brands are even larger and are not to scale and do look worse. I've heard that some passenger cars are too big for proper looks. Ray has comparison shots on his website of both engines together and the MTH BB with 1/29 pass cars. Have you seen them? Joe
Enginear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ray would be the one to answer your question from an owners perspective. However from my non-owner perspective, I myself consider 1:29 to be too large for 1:32. To me it is quite noticeable and I don't care much for the mixing of the two scales on the rails. Scenery is different.
Splicer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Opinion:

Why does everyone love the Big Boy? It is massive, Looks powerfull especially with the tender with 7 axles following 12 axels on the Loco.

If you Model 1/29, only the USA will capture that feeling for your railroad. It is more expensive. It is Metal, is massive in size and Weight! It will certainly press the rails down like the real Big Boy! There is somthing about Die Cast Loco's that capture the soul and Spirit of large steamers. I have a USA BB under my TV when shes not runing and I never get tired of looking at it and the detail.

Good Luck,

Pete
Esppe Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2009, 07:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have both the MTH & USA Big Boy...Both great locomotives..

I also run both 1/29 & 1/32 rolling stock but I won't put a 1/29 boxcar behind a 1/32 locomotive without having some buffer cars in between say like 20 MDC hoppers. Some cars are kind of in between the two scales and will actually work very well behind either Big Boy. On the same note I won't put a 1/32 boxcar behind a 1/29 locomotive.

I actually run my MTH Big Boy more than the USA...the MTH version is a heck of a lot easier to handle!

I also run both the MTH Hudson & the USA Hudson though I have to admit that the USA version gets much more run time than the MTH esp. since I've DCS'd it...

What's kind of neat about the new MTH Triplex is that it's actually a little taller & wider than the MTH Big Boy.

The only bad?? thing about buying a new MTH Big Boy is where you going to find one?? All the dealers I deal with have been out of stock for over a year & MTH is out of stock. Rumor has it that MTH is going to do another production run..maybe. The new ones that I've seen on Ebay are bringing more $$$ than what they sold for.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have a line on a used on in my area for a good price but after reading the posts I think in the long run I would be much happier with the US trains Big Boy.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hopper cars are the way to go.

Cheers
Tom Leaton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ok you talked me into it. I'll just have both. I can't let the MTH go for 500 bucks. So I will go get tomorrow. What the heck even if it ends up not suiting me I can always sell it I'm sure for more than that. It's still new in the box.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Doug,

Where are you getting a MTH BiG Boy for $500?

Please let everyone know.

Don't forget, you will have to get the TIU, to have whistle, horn, station announcements.

Does the big boy come with a hand held remote?(I think it does)

Doug, what part of Ohio do you live?

Thanks Dave
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 06:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Dave- I live 20 miles west of Cleveland. I'm not sure what comes with the Big Boy, but I think it's just the engine and you have to buy the control separately. Thee is only one at that price. It belongs to an elderly man who can't get it on the track. I offered to just build a siding in his train building so it could just stay on the rail but said that one was for younger men. So unless he changes his mind again I should get it today. I'm fine either way and I'm 500 closer to the USA BB then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in