Precision Scale Co testing the waters in 1:20.3 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 08:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Precision Scale Co testing the waters in 1:20.3

Precision Scale Co, well known for their imports of HO and O scale brass models, has indicated they will produce the NP 0-4-0T+T "Minnetonka" in 1:20.3 scale (and O and HO), if they get enough reservations through their dealers. Here's a couple of links:

Precision Scale Co "Minnetonka" page

Prototype Photo of 'Minnetonka'

Unfortunately, being used to the HO, HOn3 and On3 scales, they missed the fact that 1:20.3 ("F" scale to you and me) has almost no-one modelling standard gauge, which this loco was/is. Amost all of the models offered in 1:20.3 are all 3' narrow gauge, which we call Fn3.

So, being a nice guy (and a pain-in-the-a** stickler for details) I called them up and asked them to clarify their website, pointing out that they were unlikely to get much interest in a standard gauge model for 71mm track. (They could produce it in 1:32 scale, which would be correct.)

It's a shame they got started in F scale without realizing what a mess the scale/gauge issue can be. While I think it would make a very pretty model in Fn3, it would have to be squashed down below to make the gauge work. Porter made a bunch of 3' gauge locos, so an accurate prototype could have been picked.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to wchasr
Default RE: Precision Scale Co testing the waters in 1:20.3

Electric or LS?

Chas
wchasr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mark at PSC emailed me back and confirmed it is Fn3, 45mm gauge. I suggested he make it clear on the website also.

I assume the dealers set the final price? Anyone have a friendly dealer who knows the $$ ?

Electric or LS?

Chas, I don't think PSC ever did anything in LS, so I assume it is electric. Let's ask that friendly dealer?

Old 04-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

from this thread:
http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSC...c.php?id=11139
"Here is an update from PSC "No delivery date yet... Est. MSPR $2,285"

sry, count me out....bummer!
c nelson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Posted By Pete Thornton on 04/23/2009 8:15 AM
Unfortunately, being used to the HO, HOn3 and On3 scales, they missed the fact that 1:20.3 ("F" scale to you and me) has almost no-one modelling standard gauge, which this loco was/is. Amost all of the models offered in 1:20.3 are all 3' narrow gauge, which we call Fn3.

So, being a nice guy (and a pain-in-the-a** stickler for details) I called them up and asked them to clarify their website, pointing out that they were unlikely to get much interest in a standard gauge model for 71mm track. (They could produce it in 1:32 scale, which would be correct.)

It's a shame they got started in F scale without realizing what a mess the scale/gauge issue can be. While I think it would make a very pretty model in Fn3, it would have to be squashed down below to make the gauge work. Porter made a bunch of 3' gauge locos, so an accurate prototype could have been picked.

They used to make the G-scale stuff in 1:24 (a beautiful Shay at that). Is that really any better?
toddalin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

"Subject: Precision Scale Co testing the waters in 1:20.3"
Wrong again Pete... if you had read the REST of the 1:20.me article you'd have known that. PSC already did 1:20 including the Caboose.

For everyone else that would like to see the original article, and not the plagiarized version, just go the the 1.20 site.
parkdesigner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Old Senior Member

Send a message via Yahoo to noelw

Posted By c nelson on 04/23/2009 11:57 AM
from this thread:
http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSC...c.php?id=11139
"Here is an update from PSC "No delivery date yet... Est. MSPR $2,285"

sry, count me out....bummer!

I've seen the detail on there other production for a long time and ya there price is in reson when you get down to the nuts and bolts..

They don't leave anything out. I watched them make parts for there Eng' s and know Mark and Beth for a long time now. Good people..

Hope they get more & more parts into our Garden Scale"s of 1/32, 1/29 and 120.5

Noel

Rio feather says... One leave train running here and takes a coffee break may find Koi fishies checking out how deep an Engine can swim when Swing Bridge is left open. It happen to Big Feather Tweedledum.... Burnt fingers nbr. SA#49
Our Video's http://www.youtube.com/user/noelw71
Our Broadcast channel http://www.livestream.com/noelw
noelw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2009, 08:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Wrong again Pete

I subscribe to the One-20point3 group on Yahoo, where Dave posted the info before Durango Dan got around to it. There was no 'rest' of the article to read.

MSPR $2,285

Hopefully the street price will be a lot less. There is quite a selection of brass locos for
Old 04-29-2009, 05:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

I don't care if you are wrong or right Pete as long as you are correct !
Thanks for the post.

Andrew
Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 06:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

When Pete was referring to LS I think he means Live Steam not that they didnt do largescale since that was the question he was replying to and if you read on the post it says I assume electric......

I also researched the little loco and it was a standard gauge loco. Thus building in 20.3 would be the wrong scale. 1:32 would be correct but tiny. its a neat loco but personally do not run electrics.

Jason Kovac
Hazlet, NJ
SA# 79
http://www.thetraindepartment.com Your source for Regner, Roundhouse, Accucraft and live steam accessories
Kovacjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in