How old are we? - Page 12 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2019, 01:03 PM   #111 (permalink)

I think a person can get it easily by buying used. With us dying off more of that is available. I think too many fail to buy their track right away. Get tied up in buying cars/engines before they have something to run it on. I got my track early on, then worked on making my buildings. Was years I only had one engine and one McKeen car that I made. I am selling off some stuff as time goes on. I'll be 75 in a couple of weeks.
Jerry Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2019, 10:19 PM   #112 (permalink)

42 years old, started buying large scale stuff in 1997... but before that I was running HO since I was 2. My parent's say it's the worst mistake they ever made. ;]

Trot, the aging, fox...
TrotFox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2019, 09:34 PM   #113 (permalink)

Just turned 60 in December, been into model railroading ever since my eldest brother set up his Lionel in the basement with a good percentage of automated accessories, I think I was 4 at the time.

My first railroad was in N scale that I built on a 5' x 9' ping pong table at 13.

After my wife and I were married, we worked on an HO layout on the same ping pong table, and the N scale stuff that I had saved in boxes, I built several 2' x 4' mini layouts that some were sold, and 2 were auctioned off for Benefits.

After my wife and I moved into our own home in 1993, I started purchasing G scale stuff. First layout was 2 loops around a 5' x 7' pond. Now it's an elevated layout that runs around our raised garden boxes, approximate size is 20' x 48'.
Attached Images
File Type: png layout.png (582.1 KB, 11 views)
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 04:11 PM   #114 (permalink)

A few years back, was at one of those "Greatest Hobbies" shows and spoke with a guy there that was supposedly a Piko designer and he spoke of needing cheap entry level G model railroad stuff so parents would buy it for their kids and that would get them into the hobby. He spoke of G people being older and maybe literally being a dying market. And like the locomotive he was running costs like $550. My parents must have hated we kids as even with adjusting for inflation, they would have never bought something like that for us.

I can see model railroading losing popularity due to computers and video games and smaller homes and the desire for immediate satisfaction. I might see that G model railroading could tend to be more for the older kids as it can be expensive, take up expensive space, be used as a garden decoration, be something one can relax and watch.

Putting your info out on the Net is not really a good idea. I will say I am very experienced at being a kid. And I got into G in the 80s, can't remember when. Was a fan of G for a while and was a poor boy but then found a Bachmann set at some now long gone Pace club store and that was the beginning of wasting a bunch of money, time, and space.

Doug
bmwr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 05:05 PM   #115 (permalink)

Well, I'm 48 (turning 49 in a few days).
I've been in model railroading since I was about 11.
Started in HO, then over to G.
Then I went back to HO. Nowadays I build in HOn3 and G.
Graff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2019, 04:46 PM   #116 (permalink)

Currently 55. Started with model railroading when I was 5. O gauge then HO and added N scale in the mix. Got my own place Still building an N scale empire in the basement after 25+years but added a loop of LGB in a garden.
TDJR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #117 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to smcgill

62 years young ...
smcgill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2019, 11:15 AM   #118 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

Like the song, another day older and deeper in debt

Tennessee Ernie Ford

You load sixteen tons, what do you get?

Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in