should I renew? - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2020, 06:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default should I renew?

Been a long time subscriber to Garden Railways. Used to love it and would consume the content in a few sittings. Seems these days I consume the content in less than a sitting. Seems to me that there may be less pages, bigger pictures and titles, and other ploys to fill pages, with little information. And then going from 6 per year to 4 per year. I admit I have not pulled out my old ones to compare to the new ones, but seems the change of ownership has lead to lower value. It is still a source for what is new in the G world, but there isn't all that much out there.

Time for my renewal.Think my last subscription was for like 3 years and only see now for one year. Kind of feeling that I should just every 3 months stop in the book store and leaf through the latest copy of GR and probably read all the valuable content in it and decide if it is a keeper or not.

Wadda you guys think on that?

I know, support the hobby and all of that but i still want value for my money. Seems like Gr needs to put on the cover, 'Some settling may occur during shipping" so people won't be disappointed when they open the box and find it is half empty.

Doug
bmwr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2020, 07:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Doug;

With Marc Horovitz gone, I am in a similar dilemma. I get the feeling that Kalmbach Publishing is now BIG Business and has lost touch with its readers. I have until the next winter issue, but am leaning strongly towards not renewing.

Regards, David Meashey
Dave Meashey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2020, 12:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

I understand the dilemma. I'd hate to see the magazine go away but it is thinner then it used to be.
I'm hoping the new editor will improve things.

Old 03-01-2020, 05:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

TV is a vast wasteland and end up watching things just because nothing else is on. Have watched some of those restaurant rescue shows where the restaurant is doing poorly so instead of improving things to try and get customers in, they try to cut corners to save money and end up making the restaurant worse and maybe that keeps customers from returning. I wonder if that is kind of the situation GR is in. I am sure GR does not have the readership that say Model Railroader has and they have decided to cut back on the quality to save money. I would also assume that the Kalmbach people aren't hardly as much G scale oriented as Horowitz was. G is new to them and I am sure they don't print hardly as many magazines as Model Railroader, so just create a little content every 3 months and add big pictures and titles and such to take up space and reduce the magazine page count and figure nobody will notice and will keep buying the magazine. And I know the G world is not as big as HO and N, but Kalmbach needs to hire some real G writers with a love of the hobby to keep the magazine going. Also saw where they claimed that the use on Internet makes the paper magazine less attractive and that the value is in the website subscriber only content. I hardly have time to get on this group, let alone search through their site. This group does it for me for Internet G stuff.

Doug
Old 03-01-2020, 02:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
And I know the G world is not as big as HO and N, but Kalmbach needs to hire some real G writers with a love of the hobby to keep the magazine going.
The new editor doesn't seem to be much of an expert. But then one of my complaints was always that they dumbed everything down!

The real issue, which you missed, is that younger folk (a) don't read magazines and (b) don't play trains. So as us old f***s die off, there's no-one to take our place and buy more magazines. Unfortunately I see far too many estate sales on the various buy/sell/swap sites.

Haven't you noticed that every website is now "mobile friendly"? The menu is just 3 little bars on one side. THis site has a version that works well on tablets, etc. I use it when traveling.

And you don't have to watch TV. You could work on your trains, or even read a magazine.

Last edited by Pete Thornton; 03-01-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Pete Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2020, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

I still like to get it, if you help to keep it going it may reach others.
Jerry Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

I see your points, specially for an already very knowledgeable reader. But from my new to the hobby perspective, I've found Garden Railway be be a great resource.It's a good source of curated, quality information on the hobby. The alternative of web searches of forums often results in great information. However, it can more often results in dated and incorrect information from years ago ... IMHO. Of course, that's not particularly a good reason for you to renew. It's just a good reason for me to renew and hope others do as well to keep it going. Perhaps if they could find a way to increase content that more seasoned hobbyists would find use. Seems like letters to the Garden Railway editor might be useful.
cvcanada is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2020, 06:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

When I got into G many years ago, it wasn't to relive my childhood with trains, but it was to have yard decoration that wasn't woman oriented like a goose in an apron or kissing Dutch boy and girl. The fairy garden thing seems popular these days and a Birdwater and Raspberry approach to garden railroading would fit right in with that. I have seen in Garden Railroading where they used some fairy garden stuff, but no article on say some real whimsical railroading. If they could get some of those buyers on board, maybe they would think it was worth doing more with the magazine instead of letting it deteriorate.

Seems to me, instead of getting writers that are real G people, they are just using their regular HO and N people. Kind of like having outsiders write.

Doug
Old 03-05-2020, 10:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwr71 View Post
Seems to me, instead of getting writers that are real G people, they are just using their regular HO and N people. Kind of like having outsiders write.

Doug
This is a point I was going to raise...
Having contributed to the mag myself a while back (article and online vids), I feel its up to us as a G community to keep it alive and write for GR. Its only going to get thinner, like our hair, if we dont help it out.

The knowledge of members in this forum is worthy of print.

Cheers
Rob

Youtube: Addleoo Bush Tramway
RobMW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2020, 10:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

I agree with many of the points here. I recently subscribed as I am getting back into the hobby now that I have a yard with some space. I have been disappointed in the magazine and probably won't renew.
Clubber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in