Looking for LNER A3 Flying Scottsman Pricess Royal Class or similar train - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for LNER A3 Flying Scottsman Pricess Royal Class or similar train

I'm looking for LNER A3 Flying Scottsman Pricess Royal Class or similar train for a project I'm building with my son. I don't want to spend a small fortune on a live steam or a super expensive ultra detailed unit but that seems to be all I have found in large scale. Is there anything else I'm overlooking? THANKS!
Cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: Looking for LNER A3 Flying Scottsman Pricess Royal Class or similar train

There is not much British outline stock in large scale that is in the lower price range. I suppose if Bachmann ever made Gordon in large scale, you would have a rough base for an LNER A1 (Flying Scotsman). Of course, you would have to "de-face" Gordon. Your closest choice for large scale British stock is the Hogwarts Express battery set made by Lionel, but it is in "rubber" scale, based on a GWR Hall or Manor class 4-6-0, and the quality of the motor and gears is "iffy." I wish I could point you to something more encouraging.

How far into your project are you? Could you switch to OO at the present point? Try this web site: http://home.ca.inter.net/~brmna/ (or do a search for British Railway Modellers of North America.) It is the home site for the British Railway Modellers of North America. There are several North American suppliers for OO and N scale (& possibly some O scale) British Railway models. US and Canadian suppliers can be found at the link that states "BRMNA supplier members." There are many choices awaiting you in OO and N scale.

Hope this helps,
David Meashey
Dave Meashey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default RE: Looking for LNER A3 Flying Scottsman Pricess Royal Class or similar train

Dear Mr Cosmos - Dave is right, there are no large-scale models of either an LNER A3 or any of the larger LMS models in the lower echelons of $$$. AccuCraft made a now rare Gauge 1 electric A3 'Flying Scotsman' [note spelling] for around $1500-1800 or so a few years ago - there is one for sale at a dealer up in Scotland for about $1600, used. Nobody makes a ready-to-run large-scale LMS Princess-Elizabeth-type loco, if that is what you mean - there is no such animal as a 'Princess Royal' class locomotive. Over here in UK a number of custom builders will build one for you, but for a price you may not want to read. A similar locomotive type called 'Duchess of Sutherland', was made as a live-steamer only by Aster. They change hands - VERY rarely as they are VERY highly-prized - for around $6000 or so.

As for your present quandary, I haven't a clue what to recommend.

tac
www.ovgrs.org
tacfoley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well, if you will settle for an LNER A1 or A2, I had already figured that the Aristocraft 4-6-2 Pacific in 1/29th has a decent drivetrain for a 1/30th (10mm/ft) LNER Pacific. Mine cost $350, but that was a few years ago.

If you are not too fussy, you can strip the US details from the boiler, add smoke deflectors and repaint it. The tender will need a new 6/8-wheel frame.
Here's a photoshop from Aristo's Manual - original loco on the top, revised on the bottom. Might look good in BR Green?

Old 05-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Dave Meashey thank you for the information it is highly appreciated! You were VERY close I want to build a Gordon for my son since that is his favorite Thomas the Tank Engine. Scale isn't that important, being blue with red stripes, the number 4 on the tender, having the proper number of wheels and looking similar to Gordon is what is most important. Painting I can do, changing drivetrain and extensive modle building might be out of my league as I'm not that crafty with plastics yet. I have a friend that is a profesional artist and he agreed to building me a face for Gordon, so I have that covered.

tacfoley thank you for your reply and your corrections. I'm not up on my British trains as much as I would like to be and I saw written that Gordon was similar to the Flying Scottsman and the "Princess Royal". Thank you for the update on what Gordon really is.

Pete, that Aristocraft LNER A1/A2 may just be the ticket! However it seems to be going for ~$725 OUCH!
Cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2011, 04:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Cosmos - getting a second-hand Aristocraft mike might not be so hard - I agree, $725 for a new one is a mite hard to take, especially as you are going to throw away the tender [it's around twice as big as ANY British tender, BTW].

On the other paw, I'm intrigued to see what an LNER apple green USRA mike would look like! Especially one with smoke deflectors and buffers, too!

Best

tac
www.ovgrs.org
Old 05-19-2011, 07:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jgallaway81 Send a message via MSN to jgallaway81 Send a message via Yahoo to jgallaway81

Cosmos... if you are willing to accept a first gen pacific, check ebay. sometimes the older version can go for as little as 3-4 hundred. You could then turn around and sell the tender for a bit to help recoup your initial cost.

Just a thought. The original pacifics, not capable of a huge train, but could handle three or so heavyweights with decent curves. I think I've only seen Gordon with two, maybe three coaches, so it shouldn't be too bad of a starting point.

The other option would be to try to find someone who is looking for a newer tender, and would be willing to go together on one of the newer engines with you.
@import url(http://www.mylargescale.com/Provider...ighlighter.css);@import url(/providers/htmleditorproviders/cehtmleditorprovider/dnngeneral.css);
jgallaway81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Correction - Pacific.

Doh.

tac
www.ovgrs.org
Old 05-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Posted By tacfoley on 18 May 2011 01:40 PM

Nobody makes a ready-to-run large-scale LMS Princess-Elizabeth-type loco, if that is what you mean - there is no such animal as a 'Princess Royal' class locomotive.

tac
www.ovgrs.org
Hi Tac,
If I may 'gently' correct you here.
But according to my memory, and my Ian Allan train spotting book, the Stanier 4-6-2 class of locomotives numbered 46200 - 46212 (excluding the Turbomotive 46202) were indeed called Princess Royal class locos.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Princess_Royal_Class
46201 was Princess Elizabeth, but the first in the class, 46200 was 'The Princess Royal', hence the class name.
All the best,
David Leech, Delta, Canada
David Leech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 03:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Posted By David Leech on 22 May 2011 06:35 PM
Posted By tacfoley on 18 May 2011 01:40 PM

Nobody makes a ready-to-run large-scale LMS Princess-Elizabeth-type loco, if that is what you mean - there is no such animal as a 'Princess Royal' class locomotive.

tac
www.ovgrs.org
Hi Tac,
If I may 'gently' correct you here.
But according to my memory, and my Ian Allan train spotting book, the Stanier 4-6-2 class of locomotives numbered 46200 - 46212 (excluding the Turbomotive 46202) were indeed called Princess Royal class locos.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Princess_Royal_Class
46201 was Princess Elizabeth, but the first in the class, 46200 was 'The Princess Royal', hence the class name.
All the best,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

Thank you, Mr Leech, for putting me right [again]. Perhaps in future you might consider offering your advice earlier in the thread, thereby avoiding embarrassing a well-meaning, but ignorant contributor.

tac
http://www.ovgrs.org/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in