The real Orient Express - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2016, 07:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default The real Orient Express

http://forums.mylargescale.com/membe...ss-ticket.html

Departure Sep 25. I'll post pictures.
RHMebane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2016, 05:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

I am sorry but the Venice Simplon Orient Express is not the real Orient Express It is a cruise train made up of CIWLT cars most of which were never used on the real Orient express and that have largely been modified (new trucks) both inside and out and are in no way an authentic reproduction of the real O-E. The real O-E was a train that departed Paris Est towards Constantinople through Germany, Austria, Hungary and Romania . It ran into the late 70s, there were two other variants the Simplon Orient Express which left Paris Lyon to Switzerland, Italy , Yougoslavia then continued to Constantinople through Bulgaria or Athens. Then you had the Arlberg orient express which went through from Paris Est to Basle Switzerland, Austria (the Arlberg) and so on. These all wagon lits train before the war had coaches and couchette cars after the war added to their consist. The Simplon was even for quite some time through the sixties and through to the eighties a slow train full of immigrants visiting their family in Yougoslavia where it was a very slow train stopping all over the place and I remember being in a second class compartment invaded by farmers taking their products to local market in 1983. Or taking it to Venice in the early '80 and it left Paris around seven oclock PM without a dining car or even a lounge. Of course the price of the ticket was reasonable compared to the price on the VSOE which is a outrageous.

Last edited by du-bousquetaire; 09-15-2016 at 05:56 AM. Reason: spelling
du-bousquetaire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2016, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ignore mr grumpy (who posted just above)

In my view the train captures the grand urge and romance of 1st class's overnight travel and so in my book is fine to be called the orient express

You enjoy yourself and please do post the pictures
Johnsop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

In terms of realism has anyone else seen the new remake of the Agatha CHristie book by Kenneth Brannagh yet?
andybriggs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2017, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

"Ignore mr grumpy (who posted just above)"

Regrettably, posting does not allow for tone and inflection. I read it more as a wistfulness for something that has gone and cannot ever be experienced again in its original form. While in college, I rode home on the real Broadway Limited and the real Spirit of St, Louis. Had to ride coach, of course, but even the badly threadbare PRR of the mid-1960s managed to put forth a brave face on those two trains. I will never experience riding like that again and have a certain wistfulness regarding those trips. Still I enjoy riding the current Amtrak cars.

I have the same feelings about touring the real Hershey Chocolate Factory, especially now that it no longer exists. Chocolate World cannot hold a candle to the real thing, but it is now as they say "the only show in town."

Have a good and a fun trip.

Best wishes,
David Meashey

Last edited by Dave Meashey; 11-28-2017 at 10:28 PM. Reason: word flow
Dave Meashey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2017, 07:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybriggs View Post
In terms of realism has anyone else seen the new remake of the Agatha CHristie book by Kenneth Brannagh yet?
I will see it soon but I know already it has little or nothing to do with the real Orient Express. This picture shows it must be a strange minded props person with this film-crew:

Regards
Fred
Old 12-03-2017, 06:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

By the way since this thread hasd been revived: Mr Grumpy isn't nagging, he is knowledgeable on French railway history and just thought it would be helpful for US fans to know this and thus pass on the info.
Just like my modeling Pennsy one half of the time makes me wish I had experienced Dave Meashy's trips on the Broadway or the Spirit of Saint Louis.
I really feel that Forums are a great opportunity for those who know, because they have been railfans for 50 odd years to pass on information to those who don't; or especially to those who are too young to know or too far away to have the litterature to know these things. No grumpyness implied and I am not a rivet counter by any means although I make models of rivetted construction equipment because I feel that they correspond to a classic era in railroading. Ask the many guests to my steam ups for the past 30 years if I am grumpy.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

The current OE cruise train is trying to recreate an OE that existed only during the salad days of trans Europe luxury train travel that existed before the depression and WW2. The OE Mr Grumpy ;-) is describing is very much the train that existed in the post war years when it was really nothing more than a regional train with a glorified name plate attached. The fact that the cold war cut off the route to the "orient" and they instead redirected it to Venice says alot about what a ghost of the original train it had become.

The Simplon OE is an echo of an era long long gone. But I would love to ride it.

Last edited by vsmith; 12-03-2017 at 10:40 AM.
vsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2017, 11:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

The real direct orient express (there were 3 different versions of it the direct orient,the Arlberg orient and the Simplon orient express) was a luxury train installed by the CIWLT in the 1880s at which time it certainly was a luxury train reserved for diplomats, businessmen and aristocrats over a whole range of administrations: the Est railway of France (with a Calais leg operating on the NORD) the German through Bade Wurtemberg and Bavaria, the Austrian railways, the Hungarian railways (there was a branch or through car going to Prag though)the Yugoslav railways, Bulgarian, through cars for the Greek and the Rumanian railways and turcish railways. As time wore on war interfeered so its operation was closed and after the war was taken up again first by an all non German itinerary (Arlberg and Simplon) and because of the conflict between the CIWLT and the DSG which had seized some CIWLT stock during the war. Also for strategic reasons. Little by little it regained its usual itinerary during the Weimar era so at that time all three existed again. I don't exactly remember at which time it was discontinued again prior to WW2. After WW2 it resumed it's operations once again and ran untill the CIWLT stopped operating trains over long distances in the '70s I beleive. It ran right through the iron curtain (As a famous early James Bond movie attests) and after the war it was no longer an all CIWLT train but included coaches from the various administrations it served. Please note that the reason for the Arlberg and Simplon variants is as I said above a post WW1 security measure and a form of boycott of the DSG.

Last edited by du-bousquetaire; 12-03-2017 at 11:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-03-2017, 04:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

After seeing the latest movie version of "Murder on the Orient Express" by Kenneth Brannagh I think it is right to say that the VSOE Orient Express is much closer to the original Orient Express of the 1930's than the train put together for the movie.
If you like to see more about the Orient Express and do not like to read books you might take a look at the the Orient Express App: http://orientexpresshistory.net/.

NB: The train models shown in this App are 1 Gauge ASTER and J&M models.

Regards
Fred

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in