CIWL LX sleeping car kit for gauge 1 - Page 2 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2018, 12:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

The roof end is a curved shape whereas on the Amati it is a straight line. However this can be made the correct shape by just forming a wood part for that last section. There is a step on this portion at least on pre WW2 units, which tends to hide this but you can see the curve very neatly. We in Europe knew these cars when they were still running and remember the curve because at that time that step had been removed as well as the end ladders.
Of course this kit could also be used to make a finely detailed interior for a J&M car (although the thickness of the doors for instance is too great). But that would put that car at a formidable price wouldn't it...
But don't get me wrong I certainly didn't want to ruin yours or anybodies pleasure in buying this kit. I just feel that for me who is familiar with these for having seen them a good deal, I felt it would be my duty to warn people from oversea about these discrepancies. It probably can be made into an operating unit.
du-bousquetaire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2018, 12:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

Here are some pictures I just made of that LX I built back in 1987 it is made of aviation plywood and styreen overlay (to have a smooth steel like finish). It is a bit beaten by time and storage on my old railroad terminal shed. It is giving me the idea that I should fit in a complete restoration sometimes soon. The interior is plywood (of apropriate thickness) and some photo overlays of WL interiors however these inlaid wood decoration are from a car from a diferent series than the Lx and is therefore not correct (At the time there was so little around in gauge one I was satisfied with it).

It has a few passengers about to tuck in including if I remmeber Marie Antoinette, a gentelman, a ballerina on her toes and tutu, the Pope in robe and the maréchal Foch. (the historic caracters were plastic collections sold in France with coffe jars in the sixties that I painted. Mokarex I think was the firm's name)

The trucks which are brass sprung and posses swing action bolsters came with modifications from a Stewart Hines kit for "American" GW bogies. The nearest thing then available to make WL bogies. The journal boxes have correct WL lids, as well as the lettering and insigna etched by a printer friend of mine. At the time I was interested in the PLM and it was for my Rome Express, hence the Pope's presence...

The roof is made from samba wood (or Poplar) you make a rectangle the right width heigt and length, then you plane it to the correct roof contour. Afterwhich you file the end shape (I now use a belt sander on stand to do this much quicker and very good results) then you seal it and putty up any defects, add evergreen ribs (today I would use brass as the evergreen expands to quikly in the sun),and spray grey!
I used a jig saw to cut out the windows interior partitions and doors.

Last edited by du-bousquetaire; 07-24-2018 at 01:01 PM. Reason: missing info on the build.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thank you for posting these pictures; you selfmade LX looks very good.
Regards
Fred

Old 08-31-2018, 03:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thank you Fred; it is about 32 years old and shows that quite a bit. It certainly needs a restoration effort one of these days.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

After finishing the interior of my Amati kit of the CIWL LX sleeping car I realised that when adding the
carriage sides the interior, even if the roof is removable, will not be easily seen: so here are some
views of the interior on compartment and corridor side.
Regards
Fred
Old 11-22-2018, 08:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

Fred,
That interior looks spectacular.
You have done a magnificent job.
All the best,
David Leech, Delta, Canada
David Leech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2018, 10:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

Magnificent!

His friend Jerry Dillon looked up at the hillside and said; There is a big ledge, and the whole damned hill is a total wreck with quartz boulders of ore.
Totalwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2018, 12:11 PM   #18 (permalink)

Beautiful job! Thanks for posting the unobstructed interior shots. I like to do interiors and love seeing what other people do with theirs. Always something new to learn. Congratulations on a splendid creation.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:08 PM   #19 (permalink)

I restarted working on the Amati sleeping car. I finished the corridor wall and installed this:

The conductor is closing the window:

View on the conductor desk in the corridor:

View through a compartment door on the corridor; the windows could be cleaner:

Regards
Fred
Old 06-30-2019, 04:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

I also added the compartment side wall:

More pictures on my website here: http://sncf231e.nl/amati-kit-for-a-c...-sleeping-car/

Regards
Fred

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in