CIWL LX sleeping car kit for gauge 1 - Page 4 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #31 (permalink)

Hi Fred great job with the new roof ends, I figure with all the time you spent building it you might as well spend a few hours making correct ends for the Lx. Would you beleive it the real ones were made from aluminum castings! Ammatti should correct this and as they use castings they could make one for it. (also make real wheels, operating buffers and a bellows type or rubber cast diaphragms.) In which case it would be a going proposition. Best to all.
du-bousquetaire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferroequinologist View Post
also stationary close up comparisons.
regards
Russell
The Amati sleeping car next to a J&M dining car:

Regards
Fred
Old 09-14-2019, 08:09 PM   #33 (permalink)

Thanks Fred, the coach looks fantastic the only immediate difference I spot is "smaller" ( or is that more in scale?) vestibules at each end and the bogies. But it does look good to run it with the J&M coaches. A longer train of these with some J&M's would be fantastic.
I'm afraid if got one I would not only run out of patience spending all those hours building it but most likely damage it wanting to run it outside all the time, not to mention the inadequacy of the internal details on my J&M's would be highlighted in comparison!
Good job well done especially the new roof ends and thanks for sharing the build, well worth following.
Russell
ferroequinologist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #34 (permalink)

The Amati CIWL LX sleeping car now running in Le Train Bleu in the garden.

LX sleeping car build from a kit at the end of the train. The locomotive is an ASTER live steam SNCF 141R (with a wrong head board of Le Mistral); the further carriages are J&M Models LX sleeping car, Restaurant car, Train Bleu Salon-bar and Fourgon.

Regards
Fred
Old 09-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #35 (permalink)

Thanks for the video Fred, great looking train and the coach does look fantastic in the train. It's a nice day here and you have inspired me to get out my CIWL J&M's and the the 141R for a run as they haven't been run for a while.
Russell
ferroequinologist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 08:09 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferroequinologist View Post
Thanks Fred, the coach looks fantastic the only immediate difference I spot is "smaller" ( or is that more in scale?) vestibules at each end and the bogies.
Russell
Hello Russel,
The vestibules of the Amati LX car are 24 mm; those of the J&M Models LX car are 27 mm. A scale drawing I have shows that the real vestibule is 950 mm (which is 29.6 mm in 1:32), so both are too small! The overall length of the car-body (22200 mm) is correctly scaled down at 693 mm
Regards
Fred
Old 09-19-2019, 01:58 PM   #37 (permalink)

Default CIWL LX sleeping car kit for gauge 1: The building of the kit is finished

After fifteen months of construction, I have finished building the Amati CIWL sleeper kit. It already ran last weekend but now the final details such as the ceiling of the interior are also ready. See the photos and the video.

More photos can be seen on my website:
http://sncf231e.nl/amati-kit-for-a-c...-sleeping-car/

With the end of the construction it is time for a conclusion:

It is a very nice kit. Amati makes quality; all parts fit well and look good. Most model builders with some patience can assemble this kit. The description and drawings are also in order. And building was a long-term but enjoyable activity.

Is there nothing to criticize: Yes there is something. If you are looking for a gauge 1 carriage to run on your track or a club layout then I would not recommend this kit. If you build it according to the description, it will not be able to run on a track. Furthermore, the built model, even if you make changes to make it run, is rather fragile and certainly not suitable to take to a club .

Regards

Fred
Old 11-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #38 (permalink)

Now that I finished building a CIWL LX sleeping car from a kit I noticed that Accucraft is going to issue the same type of car based on the former J&M models range. They are using the J&M brand for these. More information on their website: https://www.accucraftestore.com/euro-ciwl-sleeper-car.

Regards
Fred

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in