CIWL LX sleeping car kit for gauge 1 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2018, 11:56 AM  

Default CIWL LX sleeping car kit for gauge 1

The ships-modelkitmaker Amati from Italy made a kit for a CIWL 1 gauge LX type sleeping car as it ran in the Orient Express and the Train Bleu. I bought one that arrived today. It is a kit with many, many parts which will result (when correctly build) in a very detailed CIWL car with detailed interior.

When completed I will post some pictures; by googling Amati Orient Express you wil find pictures of the Amati made model.

Regards
Fred
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2018, 03:34 PM  

Looks like it will be a beautiful model.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:25 PM  

Is that a wood kit?

I just watched another similar car build... incredible detail possible.

His friend Jerry Dillon looked up at the hillside and said; There is a big ledge, and the whole damned hill is a total wreck with quartz boulders of ore.
Totalwrecker is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 06:02 PM  

It is a kit with indeed lots of wood, but also many brass, other metal and plastic parts. There is a good review of the contents here: https://modelshipworld.com/index.php...3533-lx-amati/
Regards
Fred
Old 07-19-2018, 09:47 PM  

This will be fun to watch. Please post pictures as you build.

His friend Jerry Dillon looked up at the hillside and said; There is a big ledge, and the whole damned hill is a total wreck with quartz boulders of ore.
Totalwrecker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2018, 09:45 AM  

I took a serious look at this kit, and I don't like to spoil peoples pleasure but there are a lot of things that are strange about it. So here is a bit of warning:

1) I have built three coaches from wood including an LX sleeper which was my very first Gauge one coach that I scratchbuilt. It was wood with styreen overlay for solving the problem of sealing the wood grain. I stopped building cars in wood as they have one weak point: The end to which the weight of the train is attached through the coupling (continental screw, chain and hook) takes all the weight of a heavy train through a very thin band of wood about 1cm x 6cm, this can pry off the end of the car (I am speaking from experience... And have since heavily reinforced this portion of said cars)

2) The wheels for the trucks are made of aluminum ditto for the axles... Well I guess you can always buy four wheelsets to replace those but at that kind of price...?

3) The roof seems to have a completly wrong turn under at the ends, this is likely due to the construction technique used of rolled thin brass sheet, nevertheless this "highly detailed model" has a wrong roof profile! By the way the prototype used an aluminum casting for that part of the roof. This is most important.

4) I am very curious as to what sort of sheeting is used for the sides? I just hope for the potential buyer that it is not printed paper like the inside.

5) The diaphragms seem to be an aluminum or white metal casting. making them useles from an operating standpoint.

There are other less obvious issues like the thickness of the different componments of the interior which seem way oversize. Plus what seems to be an overly complex building sequence: Building and completing this car seems to be an act of patience...
Two other odd factors for me are the relatively high price for the kit, which doesn't really offer an alternative to finding a J & M one on the second hand market. And the fact that it is designed as a shelve queen that is a static model.
Mind you I am personally in the market for one or two Lx sleepers myself, to make up the Paris Nord- Calais cars of the blue train (which often carried three); but this just didn't seem to me to be a viable alternative, alas. Just a word of warning.

Last edited by du-bousquetaire; 07-22-2018 at 09:48 AM. Reason: forgot an important item
du-bousquetaire is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2018, 05:50 PM  

Sorry it turned out to be a disappointment.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:02 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by placitassteam View Post
Sorry it turned out to be a disappointment.
Thank you, but it did not turn out a disappointment at all. I do not agree at all with everything "du-bousquetaire" (no first-name but nickname: grumpy) mentions and I will see for myself when I build the kit. When finished I will post pictures and share my experience.

Regards
Fred
Old 07-23-2018, 09:04 AM  

Dont confuse being grumpy with trying to inform people not familiar with this equipment in the USA about some of the pitfals of this kit. Which at that price are just not acceptable; the manufacturer should do his homework at those kinds of prices.
I was raised to scale model railroading in the USA in the sixties, and feel that some of the conquest modelers made in those years should be upheld.

It has nothing to do with grumpiness. I am not a rivet counter, But I feel a roof's shape is an important part of the proportions of the whole. If that isn't right than it should be corrected, especially at those kinds of prices.
Perhaps my post will encourage the manufacturer to correct this fault in which case it will be a positive contribution.
Enough said, Simon
du-bousquetaire is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2018, 11:06 AM  

To show the roof shape problem here a picture of a J&M LX and the plan (I have not yet finished the roof, but it should look according to plan when finished ) of the Amati model:

Regards
Fred

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in