G Scale Model Train Forum banner

A question on 3d printed figures and parts

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Greg Elmassian 
#1 ·
I am a fan of the small locomotives and cars, not only because they can have lots of character, but also because i think they are more appropriate for smaller layouts. So I have been looking into some "critter" type locomotive kits from jolly old England. One vendor had 3d printed kits. The listings included warnings about heat causing bad things for 3d printed items and they included sources like a hair dryer (guess you can't wash and blow dry your hair and their printed locomotives at the same time, what a shame). Wanted to ask if the 3d printed stuff is any more prone to heat damage than regular plastic pieces?

Doug

#2 ·
Yes, in general... kind of makes sense since the filament printers use heat to melt the plastic in the first case.

The SLA printers that work on cured resin are different, but that process is so much more expensive, I doubt that is what you are looking at.

Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.