G scale model vehicle sizes... - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default G scale model vehicle sizes...

hello all, i'm new to this site...i have a G scale train (conrail u25b) that i've had for many years and i'm currently planning a layout in my backyard. the train isnt my main concern right now but i'm trying to figure out which diecast model cars/trucks would be a perfect size suitable for the 1:29 scale trains...(ex) 1:24 or 1:32 scale...i have 1:18 scale cars but i know for a fact they are too big...i'm just trying to find the scale thats closest to the size of my train. thank you
conrail2570 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: G scale model vehicle sizes...

1/24th scale works fine for us.............
Nicholas Savatgy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Dish Washer

Take your ruler with you when you go shiopping for vehicles.

Many manufacturers box everything in the same size box and call them all one scale.

So you have a box that a true 1/24th scale Chevelle comes in also holding a 59 Cadillac.

So while the box may say 1/24th or 1/25th, it might actually be closer to 1/29th.

Randy
Randy Stone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

You can vary the scale of model car/trucks/etc on your layout to convey distance. A smaller truck up on the side of a hill may be 15 feet away but since the model is smaller than 1:29 and the building it is next to is also smaller it can convey a building "up in the distance. Take your ruler and shop around. Even the toy aisle at the dollar stores sometimes have some great finds.
jamarti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hello,

I am using everything in 1/24 even though I tend to trend towards 1:20.3 scale. 1/24 has fit OK with everything I have put together so far and they also tend to be availble. The biggest problem I have had is that a lot of farm gear is in 1/16 which is overly large. I am modeling some International Harvester since that what what my father in law (that just passed away) used on their farm. I did find some International Harvester logging gear in 1:24th.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
SRW

I too have found discrepancies in models claiming to be 1:24 scale. Since some of the stuff I model is 1:20 narrow gauge and some is 1:29 there is already a BIG stretch in scale along my layout. The classic "what is Large Scale"? model train dilemma. When you get them home and build them or take them out of the box they seem to be slightly out of scale to what they claim to be.
As others who posted before me said you may have to play with perspective a bit in where you put them in your garden or layout in relation to your buildings and trains. If you wish to 'force perspective' and convey a sense of distance it can actually work to your advantage. Place models where they 'look right' is the way I do it, which seems to be the Large Scale 'credo' for most folks wrestling with the question of scale.
SRW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

When I got started (not long ago), I had the same concern- 1/32 or 1/29? Randy (Rivette, who posted earlier) enlightened me to the fact that the diecast car manufacturers are not real accurate when they scale things. As a result some of the cars are not really 1/24 or 1/32 or whatever. After some toying around (there's a pun in there somewhere), I settled on 1/24. My trains are 1/29, however most building kits and structure kits come in 1/24. There are also a lot of figures (Aristocraft, cheapie Chinese ebay, etc.) that are 1/24 and readily available. The 1/24 vehicles look good with the trains and work well with these other items. Hope this helps. -Kevin.
dieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

We have a 1:22.5 scale layout and use 1:24 - 1:25 diecast vehicles. I like they way they look together.

I've been under the impression that most prefer 1:32 diecast cars for use with 1:29 scale layouts, but maybe not based on the posts so far.
San Juan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
SRW

I find 1:32 scale stuff looks too small when i get it near my trains and buildings, works with my 1:29 stuff great but looks dinky next to my narrow gauge stuff and makes those engines look too massive and I model all my buildings to 1:24th to split the difference and sometimes that stuff looks fine and sometimes it looks 'off', but like I said before, if you place them in other parts of your layout, further back where you wish to convey some sense of distance or away from other larger scale buildings/models, etc. it works just fine, to your advantage really. In a way that's the neat theatric aspect of Large Scale trains to me. There's a certain acceptable 'slop' factor that you may not have in smaller gauges. large scale seems more forgiving to my perspective.
SRW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

thank you
conrail2570 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in