my first G scale layout in my classroom need some help - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 12:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default my first G scale layout in my classroom need some help

im starting my 1st g scale layout.... in my classroom. i teach government/economics/entrepreneurship all combined. i thought with the coming of high speed rail this would create intrest in the topic. im putting the western pacific california zepher on the track so we can have a compare and contrast with the high speed rail idea. what do you guys think? i have started the track building should be done by the start of school. if any of you guys have any information about the zepher or high speed rail ill take them. thanks gentlemen for helping me out.
sqor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 01:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mik

Send a message via AIM to Mik Send a message via MSN to Mik
Default RE: my first G scale layout in my classroom need some help

I'm assuming since you teach "government/economics/entrepreneurship all combined" then you're already quite versed on the cost/benefit arguments and traffic/population density requirements to make high speed rail even viable.

And perhaps the more obvious NIMBY objections as well. (Face it, building a new dedicated RoW through high population and/or affluent areas is a REALLY big problem, even repurposing an old one is not without major hurdles)

Plus the cultural love affair we have with the automobile that often makes such a project iffy, even when all the other economic factors favor it!...

Plus our irrational insistence on private funding (and local property taxes!) for most railroads, while we heavily subsidize nearly every other form of transportation...

And the objections (some valid, others not so much) against spending ANY public monies on so-called "pork projects"

And then there is the strange management mindset that you can somehow raise revenues by cutting services..........

From what I can tell, about the only thing high speed rail has going for it right now is the flying public is finally getting tired enough of being treated like cattle to consider a change.

Pretty sad.
Mik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 01:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes thanks for that i am studying the high speed rail business plan these days planing to have some guest speakers and try to give both sides of the argument... and really i just need people like you guys ....who know some stuff on trains past and present to help .... this layout is like a billboard including facts going all around the track it self ...if i could figured out how to put pictures on here ill put them up...soon

Old 07-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am trying to add some pictures but i dont know how to do it. Do i need to pay for the right to do that ?
Old 07-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

You don't need to be a first class member (paid member) to post pictures but it is easier (I guess it's easier, I've never been a member but I think I will join soon). The photos do need to be on a web site, like Flickr or something similar. Click on the chain link at the top of the message area when you are composing a message and copy the link to the photo.

Here is one I just added that way.
Bob
Bob in Kalamazoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Are you somewhere in California? There are many supporters of increase quantity and quality of rail passenger service who are not supporters of HSR . You gotta learn to crawl before you try to run.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

One more thought. The CZ was a nice train, but it wasn't fast or direct. It would be incorrect to draw conclusions from its operation and apply it to any other service, particularly one which is planned to be straight, direct, fast, and frequent.

Just a thought.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Is the discussion about the WESTERN PACIFIC California Zephyr, or the AMTRAK California Zephyr? Strikes me that comparing the WP to current high speed rail projects is a bit "apples & oranges", when one could use the current Amtrak example.

What caught me is the phrase: "The CZ was a nice train". Since I currently hold a paid ticket for the Amtrak CZ in early October, I don't want to think that the CZ was a nice train.

JackM

Serving the transportation needs of the Land of the Crabapple since 2009
JackM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

yeah really either one ... students do well comparing things that are not to much the same .... im using CZ because its the most celebrated at least from what i can remember. plus the CZ is at disneyland giving it more realism for them. anyway i live in central california by fresno and teach in high school near there. Most people i know hate the HSR idea because they are farmers, but i think this HSR is going to be pushed through anyway. so i want them up on the idea since we will be paying for it for awhile heck some of these kids could be working for HSR too.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

You've now put the exclamation point on the whole HSR argument.

Who paid for the Transcontinental Railroad, indeed, all of the railroads that the California Zephyr rode on?

Robert
rdamurphy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in