im new to g scale trains and all ready having fun - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default im new to g scale trains and all ready having fun

i recently purcased an lgb starter set with a steam loco and a flat car it is the santa fe. i am constructing a rail station. but i havent named my railroad yet any ideas?

Robby
brown#1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: im new to g scale trains and all ready having fun

Welcome to MLS Robby, glad you are having so much fun a great hobby.
Henson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome to MLS and the world of Large Scale Robby. As to the name, that is completely up to you. Most people choose something inspirational, or that makes sense to their RR. Mine is a combination of both, the Leona Timber Company is a logging railroad that was named after my Grandmother.

Kick it around and take some time, enjoy yourself.

Chris
up9018 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Welcome
many of us started with a starter set. Keep you layout managebale and affordable and it will grow with time and your abilities in all aspects of the hobby will grow as well. It really is the worlds greatest hobby.
I didn't come up with a name for years and sorta settled on 3 things that I had in abundance while building and with 2 Cocker Spaniels running half the layout. I call it "The Rock Root and Dog Poop" The road of hard knocks. There is also a company with 2 large structures on the layout and that is the CCSSSCC , the Cape cod Souvenir Sand Supply and Coal Company.
I think as you build and your RR takes shape and you find a purpose for your RR then you will come up with a name.
Happy RRing
cape cod Todd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Forget about it! We started that way, with an LGB starter set. Now we're hopelelssly committed, or need to be committed.

Just set it up and start having fun.

We did, and it evolved a lot since that first circle of track. Sometimes I think about tearing the whole thing out and starting over. Sometimes I don't!

http://chnm.gmu.edu/courses/magic/westover/
lownote is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hi there, helps to know where in the US you are before offering any advice as regions can often dictate advice.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Welcome:

I've had two railroads with different names. My first was in the Denver area, we lived on Green Mountain (in Denver is was usually brown). At that time I had two loops on different levels connectected by a cog railway. The upper loop was used for LGB European trains and the lower loop was for Colorado Narrow gauge. The name of the railroad was the Grun Mountain und Western, a mixture of German and English to match the trains I was running. The cog railroad became the Trans Atlantic Express.

In Virginia I have 1 loop and generally run North American style, both narrow gauge and standard gauge. We live near a lake called Clear Lake. The name of the railroad is CLEAR LAKE LUMBER COMPANY. Occasionally I will build a kit or get some unlettered cars. I have had Stan Cedarleaf, one of the sponcers here on MLS, nmake some decals for the CLLCo.

As others have said give it time and something will come to you. You can always change it and if you have lettered some cars for an older name, they will add to your memories. Here are a couple of CLLCo cars.

A Sheridan box car kit,

A "Phil's Narrow Gauge" reefer kit.

Again welcome to the hobby, if you can find and join a local garden railway club. If you let us know where you live, I'm sure that someone will be able to put you in touch with a local group.

Chuck

chuck n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Good day.

I am new to this and would appreciate it if you can improve my knowledge on the following brand names (LGB, USA, Bachmann, Aristo, AML) of locomotives in the following categories : Weatherproofing, Safety, Audio, Mobility, Power, Cost, Insulation, Maintenance and warranty. If it is possible can you inform me on which of the brand names has performed the best in any of these categories and which one you would personally choose to buy ? I am looking for an electric powered locomotive, scaled 1:29 for my garden.

Thank you for your time and comments.
Hendri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for your help and welcome hendri And I live in Herndon va (google search it)the w&od rr runs through it

Robby
brown#1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Robby:

I live in northern Virginia, not too far from you. When I get back home next week I'll send you a PM with my email and phone #.

Chuck

chuck n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in