lightning and thunder storm - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default lightning and thunder storm

I wonder with the electricity in the outdoor garden, would this attract lightning?
Another question, is it safe to run the train on a rainy day?
mymodeltrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: lightning and thunder storm

First question, not really, if you have a very very large flat wide open layout there is a possibility the brass track could act as a lightning rod, but anything tall like a tree, building or even a large bush would be a much greater chance of getting hit by lightning due to its increased height.

second question: there was a time when all large scale equipment is designed to be run in all weather, LGB, HLW Aristo USA and early Bachmann all could take anything you could throw at them. Not so sure about some of the more fine scale stuff being made by Bachmann today, they should be OK to run in the rain but I would wait to hear from those who own. Large scale trains (and HO and N) run on low voltage DC, same as garden lighting systems, so no need to worry about electrical shock like in higher AC voltage 3 rail O gauge.

Now your trains are relatively rain proof, but remember your power source ISNT, so keep that powerpack somewhere dry.

I know the recent K-27 has "issues" with its tender coal load mounting design channeling rain water INTO the tender body to have a nice visit with all those sensitive electronics. D'oh
Old 06-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
1st Class Member

Posted By mymodeltrain on 06 Jun 2013 08:04 AM
I wonder with the electricity in the outdoor garden, would this attract lightning?
Another question, is it safe to run the train on a rainy day?

Running in the rain isn't inherently bad... LGB products do right nicely in most all weather except heavy snow... They were designed to run in European weather conditions. However, a heavy thunderstorm in Europe is rare compared to what we have in the States... Not that they can't happen, but it's rare.

Some years ago, Tom Ruddell from Dothan, Alabama had a lightning strike hit the rails and blew his very expensive Bridgewerks power supply as well some other damages that I couldn't completely quote...

Twasn't pretty...

Might search for the posts on the forum...
Stan Cedarleaf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Tom Ruddell Lighting Strike c. 2003 (PDF 740KB)[/b]

SteveC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have run in the rain (light rain, not thunder storms) and snow for years. When I run in wet conditions I always use engines without sound and other modern electronics. It is the early LGB engines and LGB's diesels that are fairly well sealed on the top. Not like the USAtrains F3s with open grill work on top. My power supply is under a plastic tub and it is connected to the house power through a GFI plug. I use a Bridgewerks power supply with a remote. I leave it on and power it by plugging and unplugging it at the house. I do not have to touch it at all when conditions are wet. Chuck

chuck n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Several locomotives have upward facing speakers in the top grills, and don't run those in the rain. No matter what is said, they are NOT waterproof.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Last summer while running my GP40 in Alaska, it started sprinkling and I didn't want to stop running, so I just put electrical tape over the openings onthe top and kept running. I didn't have any trouble. It was a very light rain though, and not for a long period. Normally my rule on my railroad is I will run on wet track (battery power) but not in the rain.

Ed
eheading is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 12:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Mhh intresting question, but why would you want to run your trains in the rain?
I would certainly "park the trains in a dry shelter disconnected from power and exsting track work, just to be on the safe side tho.
Kind regards Michael
Michael W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 01:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

If it is made in China, it will rust.
Thinking otherwise you are just kidding yourself.

Andrew
Garratt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in