G Scale novice - help with battery on G scale 66 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2008, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default G Scale novice - help with battery on G scale 66

hi all, my first post.

i recenlty purchased an Aristocraft Class 66 in EWS, i want to use it using a battery but am having a little trouble. the manual is quite basic and doesnt say what battery to use or how to hook it up,

i purchased a 12v battery from an electrical store and as there was no instructions on how to install it i had to figure it out myself, there are two plugs, one plug goes to one end of the loco and the other plug to the opposite end. i placed one plug onto the +ve terminal and the other plug onto the -ve , the lights came on but then the wires started melting/smoking
Im not electrically minded but thought that the wire was melting because too high voltage was running through it

so i then tried a 9v battery, the lights came on but the motor wouldnt run

as i say i have never even looked at a g scale loco before so would basically like some advice on how to hook up a battery to the loco
im assuming all aristocraft locos are similar so hopefully someone can help.

northwestengland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: G Scale novice - help with battery on G scale 66

Welcome to MLS.

I have a bit of bad news for you. Its far more complicated and expensive than just buying a battery and sticking it in. 12 volts is just not enough either for this 4 motored beast.
Go here - Battery PowerĀ* ( look under the Power Car posts ) for some ideas for making a battery/RC trailer car which you can hook up to the plug, throw the switch to battery and off you go.

-Brian
Old 01-12-2008, 04:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Seems there is another problem, 12 volts should not have melted wires!

Time to get a schematic and a voltmeter!

Regards, Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

well what could it be then ? could it because i put the connectors straight onto the terminals ?

The battery i used was "AINO MICRO AM 12-1.3 (12 VOLTS 1.3 AH)"

i never intend to purchase wagons for the loco so could only put a battery inside the loco

as i say i may have connected it wrong, as theres no diagrams and im a novice its all guess work

Quote: "and a voltmeter! "

12.5 volts showed

the connectors on the loco look like the one above on the right, excepot both wires are black and theres two connectors, one to each end of the loco. i guess that one connector was +ve and one was -ve

in a minute i'll post a pic of the inside of the loco
Old 01-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Modulator

The voltmeter was to help you verify the schematic is correct, because something does not make sense at all, there should have been no problem plugging in 12 volts at all. That's why I said schematic AND voltmeter, as in both are needed together.

Unfortunately, very few of those over here in the US. Sorry you are having trouble. If you can get a schematic, we can most likely help.

Regards, Greg

Old 01-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry there not the best pics but it may help, there are two of these connectors, with two wires coming off each connector.Ā* one connector goes to one small circuit board at one end of the loco and the other connector goes to another circuit board at the other end
Old 01-12-2008, 04:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

perhaps i am being very stupid here ?

one connector is +ve and the other is -ve ?
Old 01-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

It won't matter which way its hooked up. One way will make it go forward, the other way backwards. I seriously doubt you melted wires unless there was a preexisting problem. The battery pack you have would probably only last 20 minutes tops at low speed. A fully charged 12 volt pack should show over 13 volts fully charged (did you charge it?). I'm guessing the pack only had enough juice in it to turn the lights on.

-Brian
Old 01-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Modulator

No stupidity involved, but you need a way to regulate the voltage so as to control the loco. So, unless you want the loco to run at a fixed speed, you need to add a controller.

First problem is to repair what is wrong. Do you have any schematic telling you what polarity goes to which pin on the connector?

While we are looking into this, you need to decide how you want to run the loco. You can go with many different systems to control the loco, and basically the more money you spend, the more options you have. An inexpensive battery power system is available from Remote Control Systems http://www.rcs-rc.com/

Tony (the owner) is a great guy and may have helpful information for you. He is often on chat here from 7pm to 10 pm Pacific Coast time (gmt-8).

Regards, Greg

Old 01-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

with the connectors, is one pin +ve and one -veĀ* on the male connectors ? as theres two wires coming from each connector this would suggest so

i wasnt sure as there was two connectors if one connector was +ve and the other -veĀ* orĀ* each connector had a +ve and -ve on it

they way i had it before was to put one connector on +ve terminal and one connector onto the negative terminal,

as i say it worked but the wire started melting and smoking,

was it becaue i had both pins of one connector on the positive and both pins of the other connector on the negative

its so very hard to explain on a forum, especially when your such as novice as me, im only used to 00 scale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in