G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Installing LED headlights

5K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Dan Pierce 
#1 ·
I have a B'mann Consolidation with an Airwire900 board powered with a 14.8v battery. I want to install a 5mm LED headlight but don't know what size resister to install. any help would be appreciated

#4 ·
I've always used 1K ohm resistors with my LEDs. Those tend to work up through all the track voltages common to large scale. If you know you're going to be running on lower voltages (battery power, for example) you can use lower-value resistors, but you don't really save anything by doing so--except time if you can't find your blasted stash of 1K ohm resistors and can only find 680 ohm resistors. (Purely hypothetical situation, mind you.)

Later,

K

#9 · (Edited)
Yeah, I never use resistors anymore. Too much math! ha. I order the CLs in bulk from mouser. Great little devices.

I also do the LED strings like Kevin said, Lowes and Home Depot have the warm white strings all year. The after xmas stuff is also great, you get some nice colored ones for signals and signs and stuff.

#14 ·
I have stopped using resistors too. The CL2 limits current, and work for anywhere from one to a dozen LEDs in parallel. Yes, they cost more than resistors, but for me, the ability to use them anywhere for any number of LEDs make them much more useful.

#16 ·
There's millions of different leds, normally pick a "warm white" for a diesel, and a yellower one... they are cheap, buy a few and see if you like them.

The CL2 should only have the LED on it, you seem to be asking to power the entire esc...

The CL2 sets a constant CURRENT, not voltage.

Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.