And I eat My Own Words... - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2019, 05:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default And I eat My Own Words...

I said I wouldn't do it, but the price was rock bottom.So, I bought a brand New Piko 0-6-0 Reading R.R. Camelback locomotive and tender. This thing was so cheap, I couldn't resist. I like the Piko Camelback. It has a lot more detail, and looks like it can haul a good number of cars. I watched a youtube video of the exact same model running with 10 cars on a layout,and it impressed me enough to take a chance on this one. Especially since the seller was motivated to sell! It also comes with factory installed smoke and sound, so I can't go wrong for a price that was less than 1/3 of the manufacturer suggested retail price of $674.00. It's coming from Surrey,B.C.,Canada and from a reputable seller on Ebay, SHipping time is going to be somewhere around 10 days to 2 weeks. I'll let you know when it arrives and what my thoughts are on this Piko camelback 0-6-0 locomotive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Piko Camelback.jpg (105.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Piko Camelback.0.jpg (59.6 KB, 19 views)
RkyGriz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 12:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Never say "never."

The biggest issue with the Piko locos is the running gear. They use cheap plastic push-in clips to hold the connecting rods in place, and they have a tendency to pop out. A little adhesive will help that. Oh, how I wish Piko would put the same energy into their US locomotives as they do their European locos. Congrats on the new purchase.

Later,

K
East Broad Top is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019, 04:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you! This thing was so cheap that you'd probably be surprised if I told you what I paid for it. The seller was apparently highly motivated to sell. Seems she starts high ,and then if it doesn't sell right away, she reduces the price until someone grabs it. She reduced the price of this loco by $200.00 over a period of 3 days.Maybe I should have waited a few days and she would have reduced it again. And maybe someone else would have grabbed it. I didn't want to take the risk of losing a rare opportunity to grab this expensive loco at a cheap price. It cost me about $3.00 more than I spent on my Piko 0-6-0, if you can believe that, and that's with shipping included!

Old 05-21-2019, 05:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rky, enjoy your new loco. I have a soft spot for Camelback's, still have one in HO, brass that Have on display. LiG
Nick Jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 03:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

That's cool,Nick. This will be my first camelback. I'm not certain what I'm going to be doing with it yet. I may try to double my money by reselling it on Ebay,I may keep it, or I may rip out the sound system,adapt it to my LGB mogul,and then sell the rest for whatever I can get back out of it. It didn't cost me much more than the Piko 3220 digital sound system,and the more I think about it,the better it sounds. I did purchase the Piko 36221 analog sound system for my Piko 0-6-0 yesterday evening. I was thinking about buying the more 36220 system for it,but it's a cheap train,so I figured"Why spend the extra $70.00 on it?"I did take the time to disassemble the 0-6-0 earlier today to figure out where the wires are for the smoke generator,a Suethe 7,that works best between 11-16 volts,so I will be wiring it directly to power and the sound system,without installing the included voltage regulator that's in the sound kit.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

RkyGriz, you are getting into the interesting part of this hobby, mix and match parts from many different things to get the effect you want. Keep us posted on what you do. LiG
Nick Jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 07:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RkyGriz View Post
The seller was apparently highly motivated to sell.
Art Knapps have now given up on selling trains, or indeed being anything of a hobby store and seem to just want to sell diecast cars and 'man cave' stuff.
Too bad, as locally (Surrey and Vancouver BC) we now have no Garden Railway hobby stores.
Cheers,
David Leech, Delta, Canada
David Leech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 08:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

You live the Vancouver, Surrey area? That's exactly where this thing is coming from. Surrey,B.C. I know how you feel. Most hobby shops are long gone ,and those few that remain don't carry much in the way of trains these days. Which is pretty sad. We have a Hobby Lobby near here. They sell H.o. and N. That's all. And what they have is overpriced.THe wait there is usually long,and their customer service leaves much to be desired. I try to avoid them at all costs. Thank god for Ebay!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in