What is the latest? - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2019, 01:34 PM  

Default What is the latest?

I've been out of it for more than 10 years and my G/1:32 Garden RR rolling stock, engine and assorted figures have been in storage. I always thought that I would rebuild in 1:20.3.

BUT now that I pulled them out and considered selling/disposing of the collection, all the memories came rolling through and now I am reconsidering the choice of scale for my next RR.

My question and the reason for this post:

Part 1: What is currently available in 1:32 industrial (short) or switching engines? And where is the best place to see what is available? My Lionel GP-9 is a bit long. And I've never thought that the USA switcher looked the part.

Part 2: is 1:20.3 still popular? Years ago, it was gaining in popularity and I sometimes wished I went that route.

Thanks in advance,Jeff
ClassTimeSailer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2019, 05:28 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassTimeSailer View Post
My question and the reason for this post:

Part 1: What is currently available in 1:32 industrial (short) or switching engines? And where is the best place to see what is available? My Lionel GP-9 is a bit long. And I've never thought that the USA switcher looked the part.
Jeff, deducing from the Lionel GP9 comment, you are actually looking for 1/29th scale items. There is very little available in electric 1/32nd scale; MTH is perhaps the only vendor.
In 1/29th there is still USA Trains going strong, but their smallest diesel is an NW2. An 0-6-0T dockside is also shown. http://charlesro-com.3dcartstores.com/usatrains.html

There is plenty of Aristocraft equipment available, even though they have been out of business for about 10 years. They made a little center cab diesel, and the stuff is often seen on eBay or Facebook "G scale swap&shop" group.

Quote:
Part 2: is 1:20.3 still popular? Years ago, it was gaining in popularity and I sometimes wished I went that route.

Thanks in advance,Jeff
Fn3 (1:20.3 3' Narrow gauge) is alive and well, although Bachmann appear to have given up on it. Again, their equipment is readily available either new or used.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:04 PM  

Thanks. We had a USAT NW-2 and thought its stature was too large. The GP9 was more in tune with our MDC and formerly 1:29 USAT cars that I cut down to size 1:32.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:13 PM  
I'm baaak!

Pretty sure that most of the Lionel large scale stuff was very close to 1:32.

If you stay in 1:32, you can still find some of the MDC cars now made by Piko and atill 1:32, and MTH will be your only other "reasonably" priced option.

Pretty slim pickings if you need reasonably priced stuff. If you switch to 1:29, the used market is active as well as USA Trains....

1:20.3 has a fair amount on the used market, and there have been some blowout prices on Shays, Climaxes and Heislers.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2019, 01:34 AM  

Lionel was 1/32. Except that the diesels which were 1/32 had 1/29 trucks. Anyone doubts it just measure.
Paul Burch is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2019, 02:54 AM  

I have a (somewhat battered) Aristocraft center cab diesel converted to battery power.

I also have a Hartland (or is it Delton?) Mac converted to battery power.

I like them both.
ThinkerT is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2019, 10:13 AM  

Interesting! When I last gave up my right of way, it seemed that 1:20.3 was taking off with an expanding market of off the shelf product and I've been eyeing a fallow corner of the lot for a narrow gauge layout. Now what!? iIt's all fun. Thanks again. And Greg, your site is fantastic. A Lionel Atlantic? Hmmm...I'm glad you guys are here.
Jeff

Last edited by ClassTimeSailer; 11-28-2019 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 11-28-2019, 02:27 PM  
I'm baaak!

That Atlantic can be made to be a good loco, just make sure you get one with undamaged crankpins. Add some weight, safeguard the gear mesh and away you go. It can be detailed better, the tender is a bit small, but there's no other Atlantic in the scale, and it does not look bad with 1:29 stuff either.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2019, 04:56 PM  

Jeff,
If you're handy and have a 3D Printer then here's a 1:32 EMD SW1500 that you can print out as the files are free.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:916416

This page has some 1:32 rolling stock....

https://www.thingiverse.com/raby/designs

MTH will be coming out with the SD70ACe in 2020...

https://www.mthtrains.com/sites/defa...v_1/index.html

Aster/ Accucraft has plenty of 1:32 stuff...

https://www.accucraftestore.com/rs-gaugeone
Old 11-30-2019, 12:34 AM  

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Toney

And if you fancy giving live steam a try, Aster/Accucraft(now combined as one company) still put out some amazing locomotives and some rolling stock in 1:32nd scale. The prices are not for the faint of heart however. But then again, nothing in gauge one is. Marklin is still doing its European thing in gauge one as well. They did a tinplate line in Gauge one with some USA style stuff, also very tinplateish called Marklin Maxi. As others have said, several lifetimes worth of 1:29th scale stuff on the second hand market. In fact, the nice USRA 0-6-0 in live steam by Accucraft is in a collection listed here on MLS for sale under the live steam heading of the classifieds. Really nice runner, can handle tighter radius than larger gauge one models. Hope you make a new start in large scale, whatever scale(s) you chose to model in. Mike
SA#16
Mike Toney is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
1:32

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in