Piko 0-6-0 loco quit working - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2019, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Piko 0-6-0 loco quit working

I bought a 0-6-0 NYC by Piko. Ran with no problems on my outdoor layout. Now it will not run at all? Same results on my indoor layout. Cannot get it to run or turn on. Nada.

Just got it two weeks ago on Ebay brand new. Ran fine last Saturday until it rained. Rain will cause all of my locos to slow or creep, I guess the water effects the voltage. So I stopped the loco once it started to crawl. After the rain stopped, the loco would not run. Tried again the next day, won't turn on. I tried it on my indoor layout and nothing either.

The loco is DCC. I don't have DCC. Shouldn't be a problem. Fount it weird it would only smoke at low throttle like 1/2. At 3/4 throttle it wouldn't smoke.

DidI waste $300 on a Piko loco. I have all LGBs and never had any problems.

What should I do, where can I have it serviced? Won't run on both of my layouts.

I don't know what to do

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3869.jpg (146.2 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by dlclarkii; 12-23-2019 at 09:57 PM.
dlclarkii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2019, 07:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
I'm baaak!

Don't run a loco with electronics in the rain?

That would be my advice. Decoder equipped locos have microprocessors. They do not take kindly to moisture.

What is the make and model of your power supply? I suspect from watching your video and also stating that no smoke at higher throttle settings, you have a marginal system.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2019, 03:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Greg is absolutely right. I own the Santa Fe version of that exact same loco, and I had the exact same performance issues as you did before your loco conked out.
A conversation with Jonathan soon revealed that my problem was definitely related to an inadequate (1amp) Lionel power supply. I then upgraded to a 3 amp Bridgewerks power supply. Problem solved.
And that's what you need to do to get your Piko locomotive running right. That's ,of course,assuming that running it in the rain hasn't ruined it.
It looks to me that the seller you bought it from is not an authorized retailer of Piko products. In that case, you will have to call Piko, explain the situation, and see what options that they offer you.

If this train really was brand new, and still factory sealed, there is an owners manual, and exploded parts diagram, inside a plastic envelope that's in the box.
All the information that you need to contact Piko America is included in the envelope.

I suggest that you call them on Monday morning.

Ask for either Jonathan ,or Dan. I'm sure that they will be glad to provide you with what ever assistance with your train that they can.
You can also find their contact information at pikoamerica.com.

Good luck!
Andrew
RkyGriz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 10:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

TY for the replies. I'm a newbie that just started this year for my 2 year old daughter to enjoy.

It's not my transformers, I have a Tech3 2500 for outside and a 9500 for an inside. The Pike loco will not run on either layout. Since the video was taken, I added a second power feed so there's two power feeds on opposite ends which helped with the loco slowing down at the opposite end. I have a power tap on each side of the switches. Notice I have a reverse loop in the middle to switch directions of the train. If I knew how much trouble switches would be I wouldn't installed them.

I run my LGBs in the rain all the time and never had a problem. Even in summer downpours. Run the Piko once in a sprinkle and it's a DOA.

I'll call Piko on Monday. I can't believe this brand new loco would stop working after a few hours of run time. Ran great until last Saturday when we had a shower in SE PA. I was outside installing Christmas lights when it rained and when I stopped hearing the whistle I noticed the train slowed to a crawl so I shut it off. Started it up later and now it won't run at all.

Posted a pic of the LGB loco I was using and now the using again. I wanted a larger loco so I could pull more cars. Bought it with a LGB starter kit I got for $226 on Ebay. The LGB cars are made in Germany but the loco is made in China. So it's not the best but atleast it still runs. Been running this LGB all year with no problems other than it can't pull a lot of cars. The LGB CO and Southern I use on my indoor layout and I pull 15 Bachmann Big Hauler cars hence why I have a 3A 9500 transformer.

https://forums.mylargescale.com/29-b...ml#post1144502
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3976.jpg (174.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3977.jpg (214.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg download.jpg (6.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg LGB_G_scale_train_72442_Starter_Set_MIB_New_York_Central_NYC_steam_locomotive_02_eue.jpg (14.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg CO.jpg (252.0 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by dlclarkii; 12-21-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

The sound decoder is the problem.

I have the schematics from the O&M on the loco. I get incoming track voltage on S1 and S2 to the decoder.

I can make the motor running by supplying track voltage to M1 and M2 which are the motor leads.

I guess I'll have to put a jumper in between S1 and M1 & S2 and M2 or spend $210 on a new decoder. The loco only cost me $225.

Wish I had a DCC to see if it would turn on the loco.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
I'm baaak!

Your power supplies are indeed somewhat marginal. If you run slowly, you will be able to live with them, but they have low current at higher G voltages. Your decoder-equipped loco can draw almost twice what your LGB does.

Also, on such a small loop, if you need a second jumper, your track connections are poor. What type of track are you using, and did you put "conductive" grease in the joiners before assembling? I'd recommend rail clamps.

Yes, you continue to talk about running your LGB in the rain, they do not have microprocessors in them... seriously do you leave your laptop running in the rain?

When you put a jumper between the track and motor connections on a decoder and then apply track power you normally instantly destroy the decoder. That is the #1 no no in DCC decoders

I'm giving you this advice to be helpful, and to avoid further frustration on your part.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]

Last edited by Greg Elmassian; 12-21-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2019, 07:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

In your first post it was a $300 loco and now it's only $225?
I'm confused.

His friend Jerry Dillon looked up at the hillside and said; There is a big ledge, and the whole damned hill is a total wreck with quartz boulders of ore.
Totalwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2019, 08:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalwrecker View Post
In your first post it was a $300 loco and now it's only $225?
I'm confused.
$271.92 total with tax and shipping on Ebay.

Or $299

https://www.trainworld.com/manufactu...und-and-smoke/
Old 12-21-2019, 08:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Elmassian View Post
Your power supplies are indeed somewhat marginal. If you run slowly, you will be able to live with them, but they have low current at higher G voltages. Your decoder-equipped loco can draw almost twice what your LGB does.

Also, on such a small loop, if you need a second jumper, your track connections are poor. What type of track are you using, and did you put "conductive" grease in the joiners before assembling? I'd recommend rail clamps.

Yes, you continue to talk about running your LGB in the rain, they do not have microprocessors in them... seriously do you leave your laptop running in the rain?

When you put a jumper between the track and motor connections on a decoder and then apply track power you normally instantly destroy the decoder. That is the #1 no no in DCC decoders

I'm giving you this advice to be helpful, and to avoid further frustration on your part.

Greg
What do you recommend? I thought I had the right transformers? I thought Tech 3 we're good enough for G scale, especially the 9500?

I'm trying to put a G scale train together on a budget for my daughter to enjoy.

I don't use joiners because they're expensive, maybe later. I will have to put conductive grease on the joints. Like I said I'm a newbie at this

I won't put jumpers in, but it's a last effort if everything else fails. I put track voltage to the male pins on the loco to see if the motor would turn and it does.

I will contact Piko, thank you for the advise.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hi. Watch this video of my Piko 0-6-0 Santa Fe running on a 1 amp power supply and note how poorly the sound and steam functions operate with an inadequate power supply:
Then watch this video of my Piko 0-6-0 Camelback locomotive running on my newer Bridgewerks Mini mag 3-s 3 amp power supply,which is a somewhat older model,but is more than capable for the job of powering my simple layouts.

Please note that both of these 0-6-0 Piko locomotives use the exact same sound/DCC system ,and thusly have basically the exact same power requirements in order to operate properly.
Andrew

Last edited by RkyGriz; 12-22-2019 at 10:25 AM.
RkyGriz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in