live steam for the Beginner - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2019, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Toney
Default live steam for the Beginner

For the beginners here that have a fancy to run live steam instead of electrically driven models, there is an estate sale over in the classifieds and live steam portion of this site. Many many entry level engines such as the Ruby and its varients, Aristocraft 0-4-0 switcher, 2 truck Mich/Cal Shay, a couple of the geared Regner models(do not need RC as they run at a walking pace). There is also a pair of USRA 0-6-0's that are super nice runners and give one a standard gauge steam locomotive for under $1000. Prices are as good as they come. Excellent chance if your thinking about getting an engine. Nothing like the smell of hot oil and steam and not needing any electricity to run a train in any weather! If the item lacks a price, email Sam and he will get you a price. Mike the Aspie
SA#16
Mike Toney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

But, there are no prices listed and us newcomers don't have a clue to what a fair offer would be.
'Reasonable' doesn't include a $ value... so I passed.

His friend Jerry Dillon looked up at the hillside and said; There is a big ledge, and the whole damned hill is a total wreck with quartz boulders of ore.
Totalwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2019, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalwrecker View Post
But, there are no prices listed and us newcomers don't have a clue to what a fair offer would be.
'Reasonable' doesn't include a $ value... so I passed.
Excuse me, but Sam posted prices in the list several days ago. (Unfortunately, he does it by editing his original post, so the changes don't show up as an Active Topic!)

General opinion seems to be that his prices are very reasonable. $900 for the USRA 0-6-0 in 1/29th is a steal and it is a very easy engine for a beginner.

Old 12-29-2019, 01:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Correct, and if it doesn't have a price, you dont have to make an offer if you have no clue. Just ask Sam what price he has in mind for that model. Jeesh people, its not that hard. Neither of the 2 models I bought had prices, I just messaged him and asked what prices he hand in mind. I was very pleased at BOTH asking prices that no further haggling was needed. I paid for one right away, and the other more expensive one once my bonus from work was in my account. Sam is very much trying to help newbies into the hobby with the many Ruby and other beginner level engines there. Both Regners, a Lumberjack(freelance geared logger) and a Frieda(would go well with LGB Euro 2 axle rolling stock) would be excellent beginners engines, same for the Rubys, 2 cylinder Mich/Cal Shay or the two 0-6-0's. Mike
SA#16
Old 12-29-2019, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

As a curious outsider, when I didn't see prices, I lost interest. As a model railroader, I'm used to seeing asking prices
Now it appears if you know Sam... but not having a clue as to what is reasonable and if I can afford, it's hard to make an offer.
If I can't afford it, I'd rather remain anonymous.

Maybe the Jeesh People don't mind, but it's cliquish the way it is.

Have fun.

His friend Jerry Dillon looked up at the hillside and said; There is a big ledge, and the whole damned hill is a total wreck with quartz boulders of ore.
Totalwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2019, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Now it appears if you know Sam...
John, I don't know Sam. But we 'large scale railroad modellers' know that most people on this forum are honest, especially those helping a widow to dispose of her husband's collection.
Quote:
but it's cliquish the way it is.
I don't think so - I just find it friendly. I have no problem emailing someone I've never met, thousands of miles away (or local) for a chat, a discussion, or a request for a price.

John, I am not trying to be rude or to give you a hard time, and of course we don't think you should bother to email Sam - or reply to this - if you are not interested.

Last edited by Pete Thornton; 12-29-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Pete Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2019, 01:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

The fact that Sam got somewhat caught up and updated the list with prices on most of the items makes John's complaint moot at this point. Stick to your electric trains John, if you cannot manage the simple emails to ask what the asking price is on a model that might be lacking a price, then you will probably have issues asking questions as you learn how not to burn yourself or burn down the house when trying to operate a live steamer. Nothing elitest about the way Sam did the ad. The collection is massive, and not exactly local to Sam. It took a bit to get prices listed. If you were serious about a certain model and it lacks a price, be an adult, grow a pair and post a message in the thread asking for a price or do it privately thru the email address that Sam posted. But I guess that is beyond your ablities, and if thats true, then so is operating even a simple live steamer. Just calling it like I see it. Mike
SA#16

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in