DC/analog sound module for USA Train EMD NW-2 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2020, 04:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default DC/analog sound module for USA Train EMD NW-2

Hi Folks,

Thanks to an eagle-eyed relative with a generous and optimistic nature, I am the lucky recipient of a small but complete working G-gauge setup culled from a multiple-box yard sale haul simply marked "trains".

I'm testing it all before the grand unveiling to my son, which will be a grand day.

The setup consists of:

Aristo-Craft oval track + 4 straight pieces, which builds out to about 10' on the long axis with the extra pieces installed
CMI "The Sounder" 40M transformer/controller
USA Trains EMD NW-2 diesel switch locomotive with "New York Central" markings
and a couple of cars

My question is: What are the options for installing an on-train DC-powered sound device? I tracked down the manual for the engine, but apart from mentioning that there are power connectors on the engine to power lights and sound, there is no information.

Any recommendations or pointers to articles that explain how to determine what the options are here would be greatly appreciated, as I'm not well versed in this realm, and a lot of what I'm finding seems DCC-based.

Thanks!
Heat Sink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2020, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Modulator

There are tons of options, and basically the more you spend, the better the sound is.

$75 will buy an ok sound unit, $200 will buy you a great one.

Also $200 can buy a complete sound unit and DCC decoder that will also work on DC.

Will take some discussion to evaluate the many options, but start with budget first, and then will you want to go to some form of remote control later?

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2020, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Many consider Phoenix top of the line for sound, also at the top for price.

Tsunami is also very good.

Zimo gets you option of DCC.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

When a DCC decoder has sound that works in DC mode you get more than sound. Depending on the decoder selected you can get the following:
up to 10 watts audio output
Smoke motor and heater element controls
Many different light combinations
And if run on a DCC system with wireless control system you can get remote uncoupling (read servo controls), adjustable volume while running, ditch and gyro light simulation.
The ZImo units for large scale start at $160, and the HO rated at G scale voltages are $85 which I use in small single motor engines.
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2020, 12:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks everyone, that's good information. I'll probably just skip it for now, focus on getting this thing set up, and then go through the rest of the boxes and determine what else I have to work with.

A DCC-capable module that could be integrated into a DCC setup down the road would probably be the path, especially if the pricing is similar to a DC-only module.
Heat Sink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in