LGB DCC problem - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2020, 02:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 1
Default LGB DCC problem

Greetings everyone, I’m new to the hobby and I recently converted to DCC. I have an LGB SD40 (25558) with a factory installed MFX decoder. It worked fine when I was running it on my analog system, but now it won’t move. I can operate the lights, sounds, cab radio and the diesel sound even revs up and down as the throttle is manipulated, but the loco stays stationary. Now it wont move in analog. I’m using an NCE Procab 10 Amp system. My USAT GP9 (DCC equipped - Thanks to Greg’s website for the “down and dirty”) functions just fine on the layout.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Does anyone have any solutions? Your assistance is greatly appreciated!
Setscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-03-2020, 07:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Eastern MA, USA
Posts: 3,865
Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce
Default

Turn off MFX. CV 50 is set to 10, change it to 2. Now the engine will be DC and DCC, no longer is MFX on.
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2020, 08:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
LGB333$$$$'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: McLean VA
Posts: 186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Turn off MFX. CV 50 is set to 10, change it to 2. Now the engine will be DC and DCC, no longer is MFX on.
Dan - I'm not familiar with Marklin's MfX decoder technology. Does Marklin use CV50 for a different purpose......Massoth XLS Configuration Manual indicates CV50 is for dimming lights' voltage?
__________________
Tom White
Large G Scale Railfan
www.olddominionrailways.com
LGB333$$$$ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2020, 07:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Eastern MA, USA
Posts: 3,865
Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce
Default

Some CV's are a standard via the NMRA. However, most are not and cv 50 is used differently in many engines.



I repeat change CV 50 to 2 to turn off MFX as the decoder looks for MFX first, DCC second and DC third. Also some pulsed power units make the decoder think it is DCC but the decoder gets 'lost' when it can not sync with digital pulses hence no analog can be found.


Also make sure your system and the decoder are set to the same speed steps.
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2020, 09:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
LGB333$$$$'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: McLean VA
Posts: 186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Some CV's are a standard via the NMRA. However, most are not and cv 50 is used differently in many engines.



I repeat change CV 50 to 2 to turn off MFX as the decoder looks for MFX first, DCC second and DC third. Also some pulsed power units make the decoder think it is DCC but the decoder gets 'lost' when it can not sync with digital pulses hence no analog can be found.


Also make sure your system and the decoder are set to the same speed steps.
Dan - These are very helpful points about Marklin's mfx technology. I have two engines, their LGB RhB 50th Anniversary and the LGB Heidi Steamer, that I've used on my DCC layouts, and I've not tried using them in Analog/DC power. But to play it safe, I'm going to use CV50 to turn off the mfx.

Some of these Marklin/LGB locos with mfx, also are shipped by the factory with the Analog sound turned off. After turning off the mfx features on the decoder, what CV setting does someone use to then activate the Analog sound? Some hobbyists have had problems activating the Analog sound and have been told you can only do it using a Marklin CS3?
Tom
__________________
Tom White
Large G Scale Railfan
www.olddominionrailways.com
LGB333$$$$ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2020, 08:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Eastern MA, USA
Posts: 3,865
Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce
Default

CV50 is used for turning on/off the DC and Marklin protocol.
10 is all on DC/DCC/MFX

2 is DC/DCC
8 is DC/Mfx


Presently DCC can not be turned off.
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2020, 04:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
LGB333$$$$'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: McLean VA
Posts: 186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
CV50 is used for turning on/off the DC and Marklin protocol.
10 is all on DC/DCC/MFX

2 is DC/DCC
8 is DC/Mfx


Presently DCC can not be turned off.
Dan - Super helpful! Other than changing the default address, I haven't tried to program either of my two LGB/Marklin locomotives with their mfx/dcc/dc technology since I was worried about messing up something. Since I now know how to shut off the mfx, I'll feel more comfortable trying to change CVs. And it's interesting that two years ago a couple people told me that you'd need a Marklin CS3 Central Station to be able to turn on the Analog sound. Glad you corrected that!
__________________
Tom White
Large G Scale Railfan
www.olddominionrailways.com
LGB333$$$$ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2020, 07:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
krs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,662
Default

Ithink you need to remember that Marklin had been developing and improving their mfx/DCC decoder over the years.


The early versions after Marklin took over LGB ran quite poorly in DCC; analog sound initially was also very limited. One can even see that just looking at the new item flyers over the years that advertise better and better analog sound capability.
Even the 2020 LGB New Items catalog still advertises "Running sounds will also work in analog operation" for many locos.
krs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2020, 08:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
LGB333$$$$'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: McLean VA
Posts: 186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krs View Post
Ithink you need to remember that Marklin had been developing and improving their mfx/DCC decoder over the years.


The early versions after Marklin took over LGB ran quite poorly in DCC; analog sound initially was also very limited. One can even see that just looking at the new item flyers over the years that advertise better and better analog sound capability.
Even the 2020 LGB New Items catalog still advertises "Running sounds will also work in analog operation" for many locos.
Hi KRS - Thanks for your input too. Glad to hear that Marklin has made improvements to their mfx technology so that DCC and Analog also run better on their DCC decoders.

I couldn't find any information on an LGB 23194 Mogul I recently bought on the Garten Bahn Database. If you want any info on this Mogul to update your database, let me know and I'll be happy to provide it to you. Contact me at: Thomas White/[email protected]l.com

Tom
__________________
Tom White
Large G Scale Railfan
www.olddominionrailways.com
LGB333$$$$ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:15 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.