Track Signal Light Stand - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2020, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Track Signal Light Stand

Hello everyone,

I do apologize if this has been posted before. I really have done some searching and I'm not seeing what it is I seek.

I would like to try my hand at making a simple track signal light. I'm quite handy with electronics...that part doesn't concern me at all but from the model building aspect, I've never done anything quite like it. I would like to make a simple red light/green light on my little display. I'll activate it with IR detectors and get a 555 timer and some relays and other components to drive the LEDs but the model making part is where I fall short.

I've read where people are constructing these kinds of things but being really green, I was hoping to see a tutorial or some additional depth in the model building side of it. Dimension for the poles and suggestions on material all would be really helpful. Does anyone know of a website or a posting where I could find a little more info? Having no experience my expectations are really quite realistic and I really don't need something that looks 100% realistic but I would like something that looks reasonably passable.

I thank you all in advance for any suggestions you might have.
punkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2020, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

For pole-mounted signal lights, I use a piece of brass tube painted grey with a brass washer, painted black, soldered to the top for the "target." A piece of brass tube, also painted black, is soldered in the target and holds a red/green (common anode) LED. The ladder is a piece of 1/2" hardward cloth (galvanized mesh) cut to width/length.

You can see one next to Casey Joan on the left:

My other type is a low mount signal. Again I use a brass tube and bi-directional LED. In this case I use a brass fender washer soldered to a short pole. The concrete stand is hydraulic cement cast in a small "Dixie" cup.

toddalin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2020, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

This is wonderful. Can you tell me roughly how tall that light stand is? I don't have a turtle for scale of size reference :-)

Old 02-04-2020, 08:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Todd;

Your masts must be sturdily mounted. Otherwise, I would think that a 1:1 tortoise could knock them a-kilter or even knock them down. Nice photo.

Regards, David Meashey
Dave Meashey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2020, 08:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

One more question if you don't mind. The shield or cover that you have around the LEDs. what is it you're using there?

I can see now that this is an artistic endeavor supported by a collection of well honed skills. Note to self..accept the failures as part of the skill development.

Once again, I thank you.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
This is wonderful. Can you tell me roughly how tall that light stand is? I don't have a turtle for scale of size reference :-)
Maybe about 8" tall.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
One more question if you don't mind. The shield or cover that you have around the LEDs. what is it you're using there?

I can see now that this is an artistic endeavor supported by a collection of well honed skills. Note to self..accept the failures as part of the skill development.

Once again, I thank you.
Short piece of brass tube with one side ground to a slant. Brass is nice becuae you can solder the whole thing together, though the brass fender washers take a big iron.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hobby Lobby here I come.

I thank you for the suggestions.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

The small hand held butane torches (about 6 inches tall) are great for soldering heavier material or larger pieces. Try Home Depot or Harbor Freight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in