My First G Scale Set - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2020, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My First G Scale Set

I just thought that I'd share a few shots ,and a video, of my first G Scale, locomotive that I bought on Ebay back in late December of 2004. It has been fully restored to as close as possible to its' original factory new appearance.

This is from the Lionel "Gold Rush Special " set. It came with a brown gondola,and red drover's caboose,track,and Lionel #4060 transformer. Original price back in 1987 ,when this set was first released was, if I remember right,$218.00 at Toys'RUS. It was on clearance sale at one point for $118.00,but I still didn't have the money back then to be able to afford it.

Flash forward to December 2004. I was browsing on Ebay, and suddenly thought of this train set. I looked it up,and there was one with a starting bid of $34.99 with $15.00 shipping. So, I bid on it and spent the next couple of days hoping that no one else would bid on it.

The auction finally ended with not one single other bid, and so,I got this set for $49.99. Complete,and in the box. It arrived on December 26,2004, just one day past Christmas. If the seller had sent it out the day after I paid for it ,it would have ran under the Christmas tree that year. But the seller waited for 2 days before sending it out, so it didn't arrive on time.

Which was fine, as I really hadn't expected it to do so. Would have been nice,but that's life.

It had some minor cosmetic damage, and the stack turned out to be broken. I spent the next 9 years being content enough to just reglue the stack back on from time to time.

I found a nearly complete donor locomotive on Ebay about 9 years later. It cost $20.00. I bought it, and restored my original locomotive to the pretty little locomotive that you see now.

I just pulled it out of the bottom of the closet , where it has sat in a box for at least the last 2 years unrun.Which is kind of sad ,as it is my favorite of all the various G Scale locomotives that I currently own. I cleaned and lubricated it ,and it's still running like the little champ that its' always been.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200206_171227.jpg (196.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20200206_171247.jpg (147.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20200206_171307.jpg (115.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20200206_171318.jpg (165.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by RkyGriz; 02-07-2020 at 02:36 PM.
RkyGriz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2020, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

i have the Christmas version of that locomotive. good little puller, it's towed 3-4 cars up a 4% grade.
ThinkerT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2020, 01:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

I know what you mean. My 2 Lionel 0-6-0's pull 4 Bachmann J.S. passenger cars with no problem. Even more when I run them with freight cars. They're very hardy and durable.
I have actually have 2 of these little locos. I bought a donor for the original donor, and restored it ,to!

So, I have a lot of spare parts for them. Not enough to build a third one, of course, but a lot of spares if I need them.

Here's the other one:

It,too,is as complete as when it was new. Here's a video of them running together back about 6 years ago:

Do you have the Silver Bell set, or the red and green Christmas train?

Last edited by RkyGriz; 02-08-2020 at 03:35 AM.

Old 02-08-2020, 06:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

RkyGriz;

Lionel's offerings to large scale were very welcome at the time. There was not a lot of North American outline narrow gauge equipment yet, and Lionel and Delton equipment played nicely together. I wanted some two-board supply gondolas and chose Lionel's flat cars for my starting point. "Kit bashing" the flat cars allowed me to run a car type that just could not be bought back then,

Best Wishes, David Meashey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MechKnuckle.JPG (183.2 KB, 34 views)
Dave Meashey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2020, 11:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the info,Dave! Those cars look great!
Andrew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in