Adding Sound and DCC - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2020, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Adding Sound and DCC

Hi,guys! Just a question on how difficult it is to add DCC and sound to a Bachmann Anniversary Big Hauler 4-6-0.

The existing sound system is fine for just the basic chuff sounds, but sometimes I think that it would be nice to have similar sounds and capabilities in my Bachmann 4-6-0 as I have in my Piko locomotives with their Soundtraxx systems,or even my Bachmann Spectrum South Pacific Coast 4-4-0 that has a Phoenix Big Sound 96/97 sound system installed in it. It does not have DCC.
What sound system do you prefer ,and why?

What are your opinions on this?
Thanks !
Andrew
RkyGriz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Modulator

My opinion is what is the budget first?

What do I prefer? QSI or Zimo, ~$200 each.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2020, 11:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

It would be an easy install, they are quite simple.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

The Zimo MX696s is 160.00 at trainli and the sound file for the 4-6-0 is free.
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2020, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Ahh, much cheaper that I thought, cheaper than the Phoenix, wowsound, etc.

Greg

Old 02-11-2020, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys! How realistic is the sound on the Zimo units? I recently bought a Bachmann On30 4-6-0,and have been considering the TCS Wow V4 decoder for it. The Wow unit's sound is terrific !
Old 02-11-2020, 09:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just looked up the Zimo unit on Trainli. Do you know if it includes all the wiring harnesses,etc in order to set it up?
Old 02-12-2020, 08:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

The MX696S does come with the 2 ribbon cables. The seller has to load the T12 sound for the bachmann 4-6-0. I would also add the FRS8 speaker in the tender as it is 4 ohm and will give you 10 watts of audio sound and heavy enough for you to remove the tender weight!!
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2020, 03:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Modulator

The big hauler does not have a real easy to use, plug and play wiring setup, unless it has been added without my knowledge... which is possible ha ha!

Greg

Old 02-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Right, Greg. As far as the current Anniversary Edition Big Hauler is concerned, that's exactly what I thought.
Setting up a sound/DCC system on one of those babies is a little more complex than buying a system,and installing it in the tender.

I thought that there would be power connections for the chuff sensor, and the motor to be made from the locomotive to the tender and also installing power pickups on the tender wheels for what ever system I eventually installed.
Therefore it seems that there would have be a bit of work required before installing the system in the tender.

These trains are not the same as a computer where you connect a ribbon, or SATA cable, from the motherboard to ,say,the hard drive,and then just plug in the power connection. There has to be some other type of prewired set up available in order to support the device.
Just like a computer.

The current Bachmann Big Hauler is not currently set up as a plug and play device. I believe that the new 4-6-0 will be DCC ready, but the people at Bachmann still don't know when it will be released! I talked to one of the techs at Bachmann less than 2 weeks ago, and I asked him about it. And they just don't know ! Still!
Well, I guess that I'll probably just leave the Big Haulers that I own alone, and keep them as basic chuff sounds only.
It's better than nothing.
My question was inspired by the fact that I just bought my first DCC ready On30 4-6-0 locomotive a couple of weeks ago. I found a decent sound and DCC system for it that is plug and play. It has an 8 pin connector that plugged right into the existing factory installed board in the tender.

15 minutes later , and it was on the tracks , I was using the supplied remote to program which sounds I wanted into the unit , and running it.

It's really increased my enjoyment and appreciation for having sound in these trains!
I was kind if thinking about doing the same thing with at least one of my Big Haulers, and, yes, I knew that it would have involved a lot more work ,and modification, than what my little On30 4-6-0 locomotive required.
And ,yes, my On30 4-6-0 is a Bachmann !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in