Mikado ordered! - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2020, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mikado ordered!

Thank you guys for all the help answering my questions. So much has changed since I last was involved with this stuff, was a bit overwhelming. My Mikado is ordered! Now I just need to get a control system. Also if anyone is looking to sell some track I'm lookin! I'm on long island.
Wr3ckage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2020, 07:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

When you say control system, are you looking for DC or DCC and if so, remote or wired control? What are your future plans? I ask as if you get larger engines in the future then a 5 amp system may not be the way to go.
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2020, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Modulator

He's been talking about the DCC system he is buying on several threads on several forums, He's looking at the ESU system with the PDA/Android display with the big silver knob.. 7 amps 21 volts.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah what Greg said. Posted on a few forums trying to get as much advice as possible since I'm basically a beginner because it's been so long since I have done this. Any input is helpful. I'm going by Trainland today to look around. Mikado will be here within a week so I wanna have the new DCC system ready to go.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

I have several friends that have the ESU system and it will not program some newer Marklin decoders. My Zimo system works every time on these decoders. You must set CV50 to 2 to turn off the Marklin protocol as the decoders in Marklin/LGB locos look for marklin first, then DCC and then DC operation. Also these friends could not change the engine address and they had multiple locos by the new LGB.
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2020, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
I have several friends that have the ESU system and it will not program some newer Marklin decoders. My Zimo system works every time on these decoders. You must set CV50 to 2 to turn off the Marklin protocol as the decoders in Marklin/LGB locos look for marklin first, then DCC and then DC operation. Also these friends could not change the engine address and they had multiple locos by the new LGB.
Hmm that makes me worry now.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Modulator

As I tried to point out, inexpensive systems, often lack some features. Also newly designed systems often miss something or have some bugs.

Make sure you can return your ESU system if you cannot program your new loco, this MFX stuff is causing havoc.

Greg

Old 02-21-2020, 09:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

I run a Piko Cental Station and I chose to use a Massoth Navigator & R/C module instead of the Piko Navigator.
I run with a 5amp power supply. I run a small to Medium size railway with 3-4 single motor locomotives at one time. I sometimes run 2 dual motor loco's but that is all I have tried. Works great. Also can upgrade to a Massoth Central station later if needed or add boosters and use my same controller and accessories. I did this to keep the expense down until I was sure I liked DCC again. I did not like the original MTS and sold it off several years ago. I like what I have and so far, this has been all I needed. I also run newer Marklin MFX with it and have no problems changing CV's with it.
wolfetrac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2020, 01:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Yep, you definitely want to stick with Massoth (Piko made by Massoth) if you want to use MFX stuff, from all issues I have read about.

Many people turn off the MFX mode first thing.

Of course now this example is more expensive and the OP's goal was inexpensive.

Greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in