Mike M - Page 2 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2020, 12:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Modulator

I'm pretty sure that the CURRENT Big Hauler is the same weight as the CURRENT Anniversary edition.

I keep trying to get you to understand the point.

Can I find an old, tired gen 1 loco that pulls worse than a gen 5?. Sure.

There are FIVE generations of Big Hauler, and I'm sure your 2 indeed pull differently,.

But we are trying to help someone else, who is asking.

The important stuff is to try to get a Gen 5 or a Gen 6 Big Hauler, so they have a better drive train.

If you want to compare the old stuff, then you have opened pandora's box, and you won't get a definitive answer.

Bottom line, they are not great haulers unless weight is added, and then you can kill the drivetrain with the older generations.

To the OP: if you are buying new, then you will want to understand what generation you are buying. Why? Because there are "new" BH out there that are NOT the current design, or even Gen 5.... locos can sit on dealer's shelves for years.

If you are buying used, then you will want to know what generation you are buying.

Here's some actual information, not opinion:

https://elmassian.com/index.php/larg...wer/big-hauler

Compiled over the years with help from people that know way better than Andrew or me.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2020, 12:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Update, Andrew, I see on the other thread your Anniv edition is a Generation 6 !!!

You failed to mention this as you compared to your old plastic siderod BH.

Not very good withholding that information.

So compare your Gen 6 Annie to a Gen 6 Big Hauler, same pulling power, same loco with cosmetic improvements, what I have been saying over and over.

So to the original poster, are you going to buy new or used? Let's get this back to helping the OP.

Greg

Old 04-20-2020, 01:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Mostly, I agree with you,Greg. But I still maintain that there is a definite weight difference between the 2 different models.
I didn't mention the SPC V6 because I didn't think it was relevant to this post.
RkyGriz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 08:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Would you mind weighing your 2 locos, although can you tell which generation your other one is? See my link for spotting cues.

Greg

Old 04-20-2020, 08:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

All version 5's with the one SPC V6 as seen in my video post.Betsy has the improved front pilot thanks to James in the Bachmann service department. I got it when the original front portion of the under frame broke off due to wear from the pilot. They were out of the V5 underframes, so I got lucky and got the V6 one for $40.00.
Do you want me to weigh the V5 or the V6 ?

Remember: I don't own any Big Haulers with the cheap, easily broken plastic drivers.

Andrew

Last edited by RkyGriz; 04-21-2020 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Yes Andrew, if you can get the weights of each it would help.

So, upon further research, apparently there were MANY different weights used in the Big Hauler series (which includes the "Anniversary" varient), and apparently the older ones were cast iron, never lead... strange.

So to retract my previous statements, I would expect variation in pulling power between different models, although it's not clear if the weights got heavier in line with the generations / evolution. One would expect so, but the robustness of the drive did not always increase with each generation, for example the generation with the "laminated" final drive gear.

More to come, will document on my site, if nothing else to have it documented somewhere.

Greg

Old 04-22-2020, 06:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

Hi,Greg.
Ok. I went and weighed 3 different Big Haulers today. The SPC #22 Anniversary Edition with the V-6 chassis came in at 5lbs.13.8 ounces. The Anniversary Edition #25 with a V-5 chassis came in at 5lbs.1.4 ounces. I also threw in my #51 Santa Fe standard edition that I upgraded from a V-3 ,or V-4 ,standard chassis to a V-5 Anniversary Edition chassis. This upgraded locomotive came in at 5lbs 4.4 ounces.
All three were weighed on the same digital scale.
As you can see, there is quire a variation in weight between the two locomotives equipped with the V-5 chassis and the one that has the V-6 chassis.
Its very possible that since the #51 Santa Fe is an older engine, it could have come with a heavier cast iron weight installed in it.

I think that its also possible that the all brass gear box ,and heavier front swing arm pilot on the V-6 chassis equipped SPC #22, that makes the difference in weight between the locomotives equipped with the V-5 chassis versus one that's equipped with a V-6 chassis.
Seems like a reasonable conclusion.
What do you think?
Andrew

Last edited by RkyGriz; 04-22-2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Clearly there is a difference in weight, but all of them are 5, 5-1/4 and almost 6.

That's not a huge variation.... about 3/4 pound between lightest and heaviest.

Big variations are two to 3 pounds, but I am surprised the variation is not as much as I feared.

Weight should be the primary factor, but difference in wheel surfaces, how much weight is on the pilot, balance (most people miss this one) are factors.

In any case it seems to have gotten heavier over the years, normally a good thing.

Greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in