Pola/LGB Buildings - Page 2 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2020, 10:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
krs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RkyGriz View Post
Hi guys!

I'm considering buying a couple of Pola/LGB buildings for my modest layout.

I found one of the buildings shown in the original LGB layout that I copied on Ebay.
It is the Pola 905 Kleinbach Freight Station.
What do you guys think of the quality, and suitability of such a building for an American Western railroad setting?
It's looks really nice.

For a Western railroad setting, why don'y you look at some of the US-type Pola buildings?
Like this Freight Station?
https://www.eurorailhobbies.com/prod...stock=PO330880

BTW - As others have already mentioned - Pola quality is great - also stands up well outside if that's where your running your railroad, well, except for the glue after a few years. It helps if you bring the buildings in during the winter if you don't run your trains all year round.
krs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2020, 10:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
krs

Quote:
Hi guys!

I found one of the buildings shown in the original LGB layout that I copied on Ebay.
What do you guys think of the quality, and suitability of such a building for an American Western railroad setting?
It's looks really nice.

For a Western railroad setting, why don't you look at some of the US-type Pola buildings?
Like this Freight Station?
https://www.eurorailhobbies.com/prod...stock=PO330880

BTW - As others have already mentioned - Pola quality is great - also stands up well outside if that's where your running your railroad, well, except for the glue after a few years. It helps if you bring the buildings in during the winter if you don't run your trains all year round.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:05 AM   #13 (permalink)

Korber, you can still find new/used ones on eBay and swap and shop, saw one on market place sometime back, great product and holds up well. They were bought out in Oct 2016 and are now sold by Mr Muffins trains all they are showing is HO and O but doesn't look like they are producing any G yet. I took their 573 station and added a cut down aristo craft waiting platform to it and made a small rural station that fits nicely
choochoowilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 12:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
krs

Yesterday I did a bit of research on Korber and their G-Scale products for the G-Scale database.
Apparently Mr Muffin Trains obtained only the H0 and O-Gauge kits, the G-scale ones were purchased by Entertrainment Junction in Cincinnati.
Looked up Entertrainment Junction - nothing there about Korber G-Scale kits.

But this morning I came across a bit of Korber history here:
http://www.gscaletrainforum.com/inde...ine-house-kit/

As you mentioned, various ebay sellers are still offering quite a lot different Korber G-Scale kits, many in their original packaging.

Right now I have found reference to the following Korber G-Scale items; there may be more
559 Speeder Track Side Shanty (with automatic opening doors)
560 Red Barn
562 Aunt Millie’s House
564 Home Town USA Church
568 2-Stall Engine House
568 Diesel Shed
568A Wall Extender
570 Centerville Station
572 Centerviille Station Platform with one bench
573 Centerviille Station
575 Trolley stop, covered platfrom
576 Aunt Bertha’s farm house (7 3/4 x 8 inches)
579 Yard Master
580 Elmer Trackside Shanty
581 Elmer Station with two benches
600 Benches (2)
xxx 3-Stall Roundhouse
xxx Farm House

Not sure if the 568 Diesel Shed and 2-Stall Engine house are the same or the product ID of one is wrong.

It's also interesting that there is a 570 Centerville Station and a 573 Centerville Station.
It seems the 570 version is the earlier one and the later 573 one includes additional building elements - thus the new number.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:17 AM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

Korber also made a trestle set for the LGB 4 foot (1200mm) bridge.
553 is the bridge mounting piers, 554 is the trestles.
I have the original 553 still in the shrink wrapped box. Any one looking for this?? It is very heavy.
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
krs

Thanks Dan,

I also found a few more Korber G-Scale items:
519 Stone Tunnel Portal, single track
550 Sandhouse
561 Gray Barn
562 Aunt Millie’s House was available in white, light yellow, light green, light blue or light brown
568 Diesel Shed is actually called "2-Stall Engine house" on the actual package of that item. The term "Diesel Shed" comes from an old forum post and was just descriptive
582 Elmer Station Platform

I never found a G-Scale roundhouse, only found that in O-gauge, so I'm not sure if that ever existed.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

Piko and Pola are great. The Uhu cement that comes with them is very good. I reinforce corners and roof seams with strips of styrene plastic, 1/4 inch square or smaller.

Colorado models are also very good, while you have to supply your own glazing & base, and paint them too. However they seem to be out of business. There's a new web page that only links to irrelevant ads or articles, no products.

== Bob
bob7094 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2020, 04:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi guys!

It's looks really nice.
I also want to add a western style water tower(like the Pola 923, but I was just wondering what you guys think, or could recommend for a suitable first building for my layout?
Thanks again!
Andrew

Andrew - I've been a G scale hobbyist now for over 30 years and definitely Pola and Piko G scale buildings are top quality......I use them indoors and outdoors. Pola Germany hasn't been making the G scale for some years but has recently started re-production of some of their Western style buildings like their Silverton Loco Shed and Silverton Train Station. I bought those many years ago, and last year I bought their three-bay loco round house for my new garden RR. There's a used Pola 905 fully assembled on eBay right now for $50 by Trainz but shipping assembled can be expensive. Best place to find used Pola or Piko G scale buildings at reasonable prices would be at train shows in your area. I buy my Pola and Piko buildings at both UplandTrains.com and OnlyTrains.com which have reasonable prices......go onto their Websites to view what's available.
LGB333$$$$ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2020, 11:57 AM   #19 (permalink)

you cant beat Pola's quality with buildings being used out doors. I received a tip from another Garden Railroader that 1/4" square wood strips placed in the corners of the buildings and secured with caulk the buildings are even stronger. I have used the early UHU brand glue wich weakens after 5 to 8 years. the caulked wood strips held secure at a minimum extra cost
ncdodave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2020, 11:02 AM   #20 (permalink)

OP
100-160 that is ball park for Kleinbach, the two building version in new condition. 125, for built in good, complete unbroken condition. I think new, its about 160+ last time I looked. I cant recall with any real certainty.

IMHO, Pola is tops, quality plastic, and, has some charming detailing, chipping stucco, molded bases, etc. They hold up well outside, with a few exceptions, like thinner roofs on the double engine shed, euro water tower, to name a few.

Thick plastic roofs wont warp in hot summer sun, the thinner models may. I no longer leave mine in direct sun, and, on some, like the double brick engine shed, I cover the roof with aluminum foil.

POLA models look European, unless they are US models, imho. OTOH, its a garden railroad, and you can use whatever appeals to you. Some color changes, details, etc can alter the appearance...to some extent. I find tile roofs, for the most part, are not used too much in US rr buildings. POLA AND PIKO make really nice US stations.

Id suggest patience and perseverance on ebay. I have had a few steals, but few and far between. But, they do show up. expect 150 , ball park, for buildings.

you might check out reindeer pass , in the used section. I saw a couple of nice, fairly priced POLA items.

PIKO has certain models that are also great quality, but not all. Grizzly flats, large water tower are really well designed and robust. some houses are less so.

POLA styrene glue (Uhu) is superb. It is no longer included the kit, as I understand.

I use fabric glue called Quick Grip, that I love. slightly flexible, super strong, and, can be cleaned off. Also, it grips almost immediately, but allows for final placement and alignment. Regular gel type styrene cement also works, but isn't as strong as POLA/Uhu.

Last edited by stevedenver; 05-22-2020 at 11:22 AM.
stevedenver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in