LGB Spark Arrestor - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2020, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default LGB Spark Arrestor

I'm a little excited right now.I found the LGB Ridgeway Spark Arrestor/Bear Trap assembly,without the stack attachment,or the exhaust hose on Train_Li for $19.95.

It's definitely a hard to find piece.

I could only find the stack attachment pieces, and exhaust hose, on Ebay.

The cost was a little pricey at $41.99,with free shipping,but I bought it anyway so I could complete my LGB #23191 Mogul's snowplow assembly.

I also went ahead and added another $21.99 to the total by purchasing the LGB factory chain set, on Ebay, to complete the conversion.

We received our stimulus check, so the wife gave me $100.00, and said to knock myself out and get some "train stuff". So, I decided to get what I've been wanting for the Mogul for a long time.
I'll also be purchasing the LGB #65001 American Steam Module sooner or later.

To that end,I added the LGB 65012 sound trigger unit to my Trail_li order as it was only $16.99,an that is a pretty good price for it.
Trail-Li's shipping cost was very reasonable at $9.98 for priority mail shipping. And they said that they expect to ship my order on Thursday of this week!

The #65001 sound module will have to wait for a few more weeks until I can sort out my LOA from work and see if I qualify for unemployment insurance while I'm off trying to avoid the Covid-19 virus. We'll see.
One question is if it's better to get a #65001 unit with either a plug-in volume control knob, or one with the built in control knob. I came across one with the plug in control version on Ebay last night, and I was sorely tempted to spend the extra money on it as it was new, and only $140.00 plus $18.00 shipping and tax, but I wanted to think about it,so I went to bed and, woke up this morning with the intention of going ahead and buying the unit, but it was already sold! Dang!

I was thinking that it may be better to find one like that when I finally decide to buy one due to mounting considerations in the tender, and easy access to the control knob. Also, with that type of volume control knob, I believe that the sound unit can thusly be mounted laying face down on the tender bed, giving better sound by using the speaker mount for the LGB sound card.
And , yes, I know the unit can be disassembled, and installed in a various number of ways, I just like the idea of installing it in its' factory built configuration ,if possible

What you guys think?
Later!
Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ridgeway.jpg (61.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Stack Attachment.jpg (235.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Chain Set.jpg (280.1 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by RkyGriz; 04-27-2020 at 10:12 PM.
RkyGriz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2020, 08:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

The external volume control is better as if indoors you want low volume and outside a lot of volume.

Myself I like using the Zimo MX645P22 on single motor installs as it gives you sound, light, smoke control but to tune it you need a dcc setup. I used the 75451 IC to run the smoke unit as when you tie the open collector outputs together you get 300ma for a function. Oh, and cost of the decoder is $100 plus $25 for the loco project. only issue for some is there is only 1 programmable reed input.
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2020, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Was there only one used or do they have stock? Last I check they were out of stock and not available. I'm also interested since I'm missing the spark arrestor on my C&S #7.
dlclarkii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 05:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi. I really don't know what their stock situation on these is, but the link does show it as available:
https://www.trainli.com/all-about-kg...192-054-p-6958
Call them at 775-302-8111
They're located in Reno,Nevada,so they are on Pacific Time. Their hours of operation are 10AM to 4 PM PST.
You can also email them.
All the information that you need to contact them is also shown on their website.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RkyGriz View Post
Hi. I really don't know what their stock situation on these is, but the link does show it as available:
https://www.trainli.com/all-about-kg...192-054-p-6958
Call them at 775-302-8111
They're located in Reno,Nevada,so they are on Pacific Time. Their hours of operation are 10AM to 4 PM PST.
You can also email them.
All the information that you need to contact them is also shown on their website.
Thank you! Reno, what a beautiful place to live, right next to Tahoe.
dlclarkii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2020, 11:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

You're welcome! I've lived in Reno-Sparks-Fernley for most of my life , and Reno is ideally situated for outdoors men and women due to it's proximity to world class skiing, fishing, hunting, camping, hiking,etc. If you're a person who enjoys the great outdoors, Reno-Sparks is a gateway to some of the best areas that the Sierra Nevada's have to offer.
We definitely have a lot more to offer than just gambling.

Last edited by RkyGriz; 05-01-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Good news!
The good people at Train_Li were as good as their word. The spark arrestor , and LGB #65012 sound trigger, arrived today.
And this thing is huge!
The LGB chain set also showed up, as well. It's a bit bigger, and more heavy duty, than the chain set that I made for the snowplow installation.
Now I'm only waiting on the lower part of the assembly to show up, so I can install everything on the mogul at the same time.
A video of the completed assembly will follow as soon as I receive the other parts, and complete the final assembly.

Such fun!

Last edited by RkyGriz; 05-01-2020 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hi,all. The remaining parts of the spark arrestor arrived today. I encountered a small problem with the installation.

Basically, I was wondering how the whole contraption would attach to the stack. I kind of assumed it just snapped on.
I was wrong. When I looked up the stack assembly for model #23192 on trainsonly.com, I found that there is a small peg,or screw, that is used to hold the whole thing firmly onto the stack.
Well,duh!
So, I looked through my extra parts collection and found a small,short slotted screw that was nearly perfect for the job.

It was just a little bit too big in diameter to fit the hole.

Using a micro drill bit, and my fingers for the drive, I enlarged the mounting hole enough to fit the screw.
15 minutes later it was done, and I'm very pleased with the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200507_185106.jpg (235.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20200507_185115.jpg (265.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20200507_185329.jpg (102.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20200507_185421.jpg (219.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by RkyGriz; 05-07-2020 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Always liked the look of that contraption.

Nice!

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2020, 12:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks, Greg !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in