myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

myLargescale.com > Community > Forums (https://forums.mylargescale.com/)
-   Beginner's Forum (https://forums.mylargescale.com/29-beginner-s-forum/)
-   -   New Member Intro (https://forums.mylargescale.com/29-beginner-s-forum/90568-new-member-intro.html)

Aflyer 06-17-2020 10:57 AM

New Member Intro

Hello all, and thank you for making joining this forum so easy.

Been searching the G scale forums for a day or two, and learning a little bit about outdoor railroading.

I am a longtime S gauge modeler and have a WIP railroad about 12 X 18 in a dedicated room. Just to insure that never gets completed, I have purchased some G gauge trains to put a little layout in the garden, LOL.

I want to build an L shaped single track loop, that will be about 90' long. The area is pretty flat drainage is good, going around some small shrubs and a Japanese maple.

General questions are:
If I go DC transformer power how many feeders needed for 90' of track. If I go with battery power who makes decent but not killer expensive.

I really want a simple build here, not elevated what's a good method for sub roadbed? I am building in south central NC, frost not a big concern.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice,
Aflyer

dmcchaser 06-17-2020 01:54 PM

Hi Aflyer,

I'm fairly new at this as well, but I'm happy to share what I know.

I went with battery power right out of the gate, so I can't speak to DC power needs.

What locomotives you have and what systems they already include or don't include will affect the cost and complexity of the battery conversion.

I have an older RailBoss system from G Scale Graphics in a Bachmann 55 ton Shay, along with a Phoenix sound board. I really like how it works, but it is a bit cumbersome dragging a full-size R/C transmitter out to run it.

I just finished installing an AirWire system in a Bachmann Climax. This system utilizes the built in DCC decoder and sound board. So far I really like the system, it has a ton of customization and control features so the learning curve is a bit steep. Someone with a background in DCC would have an easier time, but I came into it cold.

I also have a live steam locomotive that will be getting a radio control system from https://www.rcs-rc.com/
These systems are primarily for Live Steam locomotives, but on board battery power options are available too.
I don't have direct experience with the system yet, but I can say Mr. Walsham has had excellent customer service answering my many questions.

Totalwrecker 06-17-2020 02:10 PM

Welcome aboard,
I went with batteries onboard and R/C

The new Railboss R/C transmitters fit in your pocket ..

https://www.gscalegraphics.net/store...roducts.html#/

Aflyer 06-17-2020 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcchaser (Post 1156102)
Hi Aflyer,

I'm fairly new at this as well, but I'm happy to share what I know.

I went with battery power right out of the gate, so I can't speak to DC power needs.

What locomotives you have and what systems they already include or don't include will affect the cost and complexity of the battery conversion.

I have an older RailBoss system from G Scale Graphics in a Bachmann 55 ton Shay, along with a Phoenix sound board. I really like how it works, but it is a bit cumbersome dragging a full-size R/C transmitter out to run it.

I just finished installing an AirWire system in a Bachmann Climax. This system utilizes the built in DCC decoder and sound board. So far I really like the system, it has a ton of customization and control features so the learning curve is a bit steep. Someone with a background in DCC would have an easier time, but I came into it cold.

I also have a live steam locomotive that will be getting a radio control system from
These systems are primarily for Live Steam locomotives, but on board battery power options are available too.
I don't have direct experience with the system yet, but I can say Mr. Walsham has had excellent customer service answering my many questions.

dmcchaser, thank you for your response.

The only locomotive I have right now is an Aristocraft U25-B. I have a 1/2 dozen freight cars, and a pile of LGB brass track. The loco and rolling stock are new and were a bargain, the track is used but was a very good deal. It won't be enough for the loop I want I will need a lot more straight track.

An inexpensive remote control system is a great plan but probably down the road a bit. Going with a battery pack would make things easy while I build a loop and test it out. I need to verify what to buy so I can get it ordered.

Need to figure out if I am just going to lay track on the ground, or build a ladder system to mount the track too.

Thanks again,
Aflyer

Aflyer 06-17-2020 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Totalwrecker (Post 1156104)
Welcome aboard,
I went with batteries onboard and R/C

The new Railboss R/C transmitters fit in your pocket ..

John,
Thank you for your response, Those transmitters are pretty sweet and reasonable priced.
I wasn't thinking about the R/C when I asked about battery power, obviously I would need both.
Think I will go ahead and start with track power first, as I already have a power supply.
Now to decide about ladder sub roadbed or track on the ground.
Thanks again,
George

dmcchaser 06-17-2020 10:54 PM

The nice thing about starting with powered track is you can always switch to on-board battery power later if you want.

I highly recommend putting your track on some sort of subroadbed support --the ground can and will move around a surprising amount. It's nice to be able to go out and run trains without having to deal with track that has shifted on you during the winter. Or heavy rain. Or hyperactive squirrels.
Laying a proper foundation is a lot more work up front, but it makes for much easier running in the long run.

Dan Pierce 06-18-2020 08:00 AM

On the ground I dug a trench and then installed weed block, then 1/4 inch gravel, then float the track. Weed block is not for the weeds, it is to keep the gravel from mixing with the dirt. For a lot of track power info, and LGB product info, please download the (search for) (LGB 559 pdf) file. It is an older document but does explain the LGB system.

Aflyer 06-18-2020 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcchaser (Post 1156132)
The nice thing about starting with powered track is you can always switch to on-board battery power later if you want.

I highly recommend putting your track on some sort of subroadbed support --the ground can and will move around a surprising amount. It's nice to be able to go out and run trains without having to deal with track that has shifted on you during the winter. Or heavy rain. Or hyperactive squirrels.
Laying a proper foundation is a lot more work up front, but it makes for much easier running in the long run.

dmcchaser,
Agreed, good point on the later upgrade to the battery power. The quick and dirty never pays in the long run, I did more reading yesterday and am thinking I will build a PVC ladder sub roadbed for it.
Aflyer

Aflyer 06-18-2020 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Pierce (Post 1156136)
On the ground I dug a trench and then installed weed block, then 1/4 inch gravel, then float the track. Weed block is not for the weeds, it is to keep the gravel from mixing with the dirt. For a lot of track power info, and LGB product info, please download the (search for) (LGB 559 pdf) file. It is an older document but does explain the LGB system.

Dan,
Thank you for there response, that PDF is great and has answers to many of my questions.
I think I am going with a PVC ladder system for the sub roadbed, It will be a lot of work, but maybe easier to level and maintain later.

I purchased a lot of used LGB track, and would like to use as much of it as possible. I have 22 R5 curves, 48 R2 curves and 12 R1 curves. From my S gauge railroading there are a couple of places where I have mixed 2 different radius curves, and it works. What are your thoughts on doing this?

Thank you,
George

marwen 06-18-2020 11:15 AM

Welcome to the Forum! There is a wealth of experience on composite repair on here.