New Member Intro - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2020, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Member Intro

Hello all, and thank you for making joining this forum so easy.

Been searching the G scale forums for a day or two, and learning a little bit about outdoor railroading.

I am a longtime S gauge modeler and have a WIP railroad about 12 X 18 in a dedicated room. Just to insure that never gets completed, I have purchased some G gauge trains to put a little layout in the garden, LOL.

I want to build an L shaped single track loop, that will be about 90' long. The area is pretty flat drainage is good, going around some small shrubs and a Japanese maple.

General questions are:
If I go DC transformer power how many feeders needed for 90' of track. If I go with battery power who makes decent but not killer expensive.

I really want a simple build here, not elevated what's a good method for sub roadbed? I am building in south central NC, frost not a big concern.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice,
Aflyer
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2020, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi Aflyer,

I'm fairly new at this as well, but I'm happy to share what I know.

I went with battery power right out of the gate, so I can't speak to DC power needs.

What locomotives you have and what systems they already include or don't include will affect the cost and complexity of the battery conversion.

I have an older RailBoss system from G Scale Graphics in a Bachmann 55 ton Shay, along with a Phoenix sound board. I really like how it works, but it is a bit cumbersome dragging a full-size R/C transmitter out to run it.

I just finished installing an AirWire system in a Bachmann Climax. This system utilizes the built in DCC decoder and sound board. So far I really like the system, it has a ton of customization and control features so the learning curve is a bit steep. Someone with a background in DCC would have an easier time, but I came into it cold.

I also have a live steam locomotive that will be getting a radio control system from https://www.rcs-rc.com/
These systems are primarily for Live Steam locomotives, but on board battery power options are available too.
I don't have direct experience with the system yet, but I can say Mr. Walsham has had excellent customer service answering my many questions.
dmcchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2020, 02:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome aboard,
I went with batteries onboard and R/C

The new Railboss R/C transmitters fit in your pocket ..

https://www.gscalegraphics.net/store...roducts.html#/

His friend Jerry Dillon looked up at the hillside and said; There is a big ledge, and the whole damned hill is a total wreck with quartz boulders of ore.
Totalwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcchaser View Post
Hi Aflyer,

I'm fairly new at this as well, but I'm happy to share what I know.

I went with battery power right out of the gate, so I can't speak to DC power needs.

What locomotives you have and what systems they already include or don't include will affect the cost and complexity of the battery conversion.

I have an older RailBoss system from G Scale Graphics in a Bachmann 55 ton Shay, along with a Phoenix sound board. I really like how it works, but it is a bit cumbersome dragging a full-size R/C transmitter out to run it.

I just finished installing an AirWire system in a Bachmann Climax. This system utilizes the built in DCC decoder and sound board. So far I really like the system, it has a ton of customization and control features so the learning curve is a bit steep. Someone with a background in DCC would have an easier time, but I came into it cold.

I also have a live steam locomotive that will be getting a radio control system from
These systems are primarily for Live Steam locomotives, but on board battery power options are available too.
I don't have direct experience with the system yet, but I can say Mr. Walsham has had excellent customer service answering my many questions.
dmcchaser, thank you for your response.

The only locomotive I have right now is an Aristocraft U25-B. I have a 1/2 dozen freight cars, and a pile of LGB brass track. The loco and rolling stock are new and were a bargain, the track is used but was a very good deal. It won't be enough for the loop I want I will need a lot more straight track.

An inexpensive remote control system is a great plan but probably down the road a bit. Going with a battery pack would make things easy while I build a loop and test it out. I need to verify what to buy so I can get it ordered.

Need to figure out if I am just going to lay track on the ground, or build a ladder system to mount the track too.

Thanks again,
Aflyer

Last edited by Aflyer; 06-17-2020 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalwrecker View Post
Welcome aboard,
I went with batteries onboard and R/C

The new Railboss R/C transmitters fit in your pocket ..
John,
Thank you for your response, Those transmitters are pretty sweet and reasonable priced.
I wasn't thinking about the R/C when I asked about battery power, obviously I would need both.
Think I will go ahead and start with track power first, as I already have a power supply.
Now to decide about ladder sub roadbed or track on the ground.
Thanks again,
George
Old 06-17-2020, 10:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

The nice thing about starting with powered track is you can always switch to on-board battery power later if you want.

I highly recommend putting your track on some sort of subroadbed support --the ground can and will move around a surprising amount. It's nice to be able to go out and run trains without having to deal with track that has shifted on you during the winter. Or heavy rain. Or hyperactive squirrels.
Laying a proper foundation is a lot more work up front, but it makes for much easier running in the long run.
dmcchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2020, 08:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

On the ground I dug a trench and then installed weed block, then 1/4 inch gravel, then float the track. Weed block is not for the weeds, it is to keep the gravel from mixing with the dirt. For a lot of track power info, and LGB product info, please download the (search for) (LGB 559 pdf) file. It is an older document but does explain the LGB system.
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2020, 08:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcchaser View Post
The nice thing about starting with powered track is you can always switch to on-board battery power later if you want.

I highly recommend putting your track on some sort of subroadbed support --the ground can and will move around a surprising amount. It's nice to be able to go out and run trains without having to deal with track that has shifted on you during the winter. Or heavy rain. Or hyperactive squirrels.
Laying a proper foundation is a lot more work up front, but it makes for much easier running in the long run.
dmcchaser,
Agreed, good point on the later upgrade to the battery power. The quick and dirty never pays in the long run, I did more reading yesterday and am thinking I will build a PVC ladder sub roadbed for it.
Aflyer
Old 06-18-2020, 08:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
On the ground I dug a trench and then installed weed block, then 1/4 inch gravel, then float the track. Weed block is not for the weeds, it is to keep the gravel from mixing with the dirt. For a lot of track power info, and LGB product info, please download the (search for) (LGB 559 pdf) file. It is an older document but does explain the LGB system.
Dan,
Thank you for there response, that PDF is great and has answers to many of my questions.
I think I am going with a PVC ladder system for the sub roadbed, It will be a lot of work, but maybe easier to level and maintain later.

I purchased a lot of used LGB track, and would like to use as much of it as possible. I have 22 R5 curves, 48 R2 curves and 12 R1 curves. From my S gauge railroading there are a couple of places where I have mixed 2 different radius curves, and it works. What are your thoughts on doing this?

Thank you,
George

Last edited by Aflyer; 06-18-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

Welcome to the Forum! There is a wealth of experience on composite repair on here.
marwen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in