Total confusion regarding power packs! - Page 2 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2020, 03:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thank you Greg - great to know!. By the way, your site has quickly become one of my favorite "go-to" spots on the web for information. I think it's wonderful that people like you take the time to put together the kind of information you have and make it available to others, especially those just starting out in the hobby!
paul2887 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2020, 07:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Modulator

It was initially notes to myself, but I was inspired by the great George Schryer, and have tried to continue on with things he has not gotten to yet.

It's basically there to help others, glad it can be of service.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2020, 07:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Paul

I'm with a company that makes traditional track power power packs. We have a thing on our website which discusses some of the things that you should be thinking about:
https://bridgewerks.com/tech-corner/...er-controller/

We are located in Newberg OR. The Rose City Garden Railroad society is a very active club, with most activity around the Portland area - you might want to join them just to read all of the e-mail traffic which talks about what is going on with garden railroads locally. If it's exciting enough, it might entice you to take a drive to check something out.

Mark
Mark_s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 08:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Just my two cents. I purchased a Bridgewerks 10amp and it worked really nice. Where I am going with this is while I was building my layout, I got so tired of lugging that 20 lb power pack around, I found myself reaching for my MRC 6200 (2 amps). You could start with a smaller pack just to get you started then progress as needed. Keep in mind I was running mostly LGB single and two motor locomotives with smoke & sound. Usually one at a time on a small to medium sized layout. The MRC control master 20 (5 amps) works good two. I was able to double head twin motor locomotives with that one. Still, if building a medium to large layout, you will need a 10amp or larger pack eventually.
wolfetrac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2020, 04:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

https://www.gscalegraphics.net/store...hrottle.html#/

His friend Jerry Dillon looked up at the hillside and said; There is a big ledge, and the whole damned hill is a total wreck with quartz boulders of ore.
Totalwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2020, 07:02 AM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

Many of us in my club with wireless DC and DCC keep our receivers inside. I had the 27mhz users double the antenna length and the range increased a lot. My older Zimo MX1 and newer MX10 are in my basement (raised ranch) and I have never had a range isue.

The point of this is I do not have to lug power supplies around, they are in a permanent place and protected from weather, and my latest DCC has 12 amps to the track and my older Aristo has 10 amps to the track. Just have to carry the remotes.
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2020, 01:15 AM   #17 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. I'm scared of making an expensive mistake here. I'm a retired contractor, and I fully understand all the construction aspects of this hobby. But so much of this seems to revolve around electronics - not at all something I'm comfortable with - that I feel like I'm in WAY over my head sometimes. Throw in the track power versus battery power debate, and I get completely lost!!
Old 07-08-2020, 03:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
Super Modulator

never endng debate, if budget is a priority, the crossover point between battery power and DCC is about 4 locos....

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

Not quite clear on that answer, so to simplify (for me) let me put this another way. I'm planning on having two, perhaps three locos. I'm comfortable with regular 110V AC wiring. I know next to nothing about computers and electronics. I'd like to keep things simple to start, at least while I'm getting going. So are you saying DCC is the best choice until I get to around four locos? Or are you saying battery is the best choice until I get to four locos?

My apologies for being so dense on this, and I appreciate the clarification!
Old 07-09-2020, 07:52 AM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

Battery for less than 4 locos, DCC track power for over 4 locos. And now there is DCC for battery powered locos by several vendors.

My friend has the DCC version revolution, receiver in the engine with a Zimo decoder, track powered so he does not need the batteries. Since it is the USA Trains GG1, should not have a power pickup problem and the MX699KV has super caps to keep the decoder alive.
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in