Total confusion regarding power packs! - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2020, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Total confusion regarding power packs!

Hi: Iím brand new to this site, and to the garden railroad hobby as well. I havenít actually starting my layout yet, but Iíve been reading pretty much everything I can, trying to understand whatís proving to be a somewhat complicated hobby (or maybe thatís just me!). I think Iíve decided on brass sectional track as being the best way to get started, and I plan to use track power for now. I also plan on using DCC.

But where Iím still completely lost is with the issue of power packs. I simply donít understand what I need, and Iím not sure I can even ask a proper question here. Iím looking for advice on where to start: Components I need; reputable brands/models; anything anyone wants to offer. Sorry this isnít a more coherent question, but I guess the only stupid one is the one that isnít asked, right? Thanks, Paul
paul2887 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2020, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Modulator

You need to pick your locos first, how many, what general type or brand, how many cars you want to pull and what kind of grades...

basically, decide this AFTER you have made other decisions.

Some people can get by with a 2 amp transformer, some need 10 amps.

Make your other decisions first... also if you want one that can be used for DCC later, then get a fixed 24-27 volt 10 amp regulated switching supply and a separate throttle.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2020, 06:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

Paul, in your profile at least give us the state/country you live in as there may be someone with lots of knowledge near you or even a club to join.
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 08:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm in Central Oregon. Don't know of any groups here, and of course with the COVID crisis I'm not really joining anything anyway.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Modulator

I have 10 pages of FAQs for beginners, here is the first page:

https://elmassian.com/index.php/larg...layout-will-do

Greg

Old 06-21-2020, 12:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you Greg, I'll definitely read this over before I start buying anything. Much appreciated! Paul
Old 06-21-2020, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Paul. If Medford is close at hand they have a very knowledgeable group. They run a large outdoor railway park usually open to the public one weekend a month. If Portland is closer they have a very active club with a wealth of knowledge. They put on the garden railroad convention last year and there membership covers a large geographical area. Both organizations membership are very willing to provide recommendations specific to your needs.
Mike
Mike Paterson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2020, 06:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

piko has a nice 5 amp power supply that has a remote key fob to operate it. that amp will should run any train. to run may be 2 or 3 engines you will need more power , usat has a nice 10 amp setup to, but for a start both are nice power supply's that come with a controller. the 2 amp power units that come with starter sets probably won't have enough power for any thing other than what came in the set and will over heat with bigger engines with 2 motor blocks . some brands engines use use more power than others but 4 to 5 amps will get you started. building your own is not a bad idea and cheaper but may be to much to start with . that just my 2 cents

Last edited by pressta; 06-23-2020 at 07:37 PM.
pressta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2020, 06:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you for that. I'm continuing to read and work my way thru what I can find on the web. I think I'm finally getting a better handle on what the basic components are that I'll need. Looks like I might as well plan on 10 amps to handle what I need now and into the future. I'm currently looking at the NCE Pro-10R. A little more than I wanted to spend, and probably more than I need starting out, but seems to get good reviews and should handle everything I want to do. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again everyone!
Old 06-24-2020, 04:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Modulator

one of my favorites, recommended

https://elmassian.com/index.php/dcc/.../nce-equipment

Greg

Last edited by Greg Elmassian; 06-24-2020 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in