Delton 2-8-0 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2020, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Delton 2-8-0

Hello all,
I have acquired a rather old Delton (Early American Trains) 2-8-0, bad picture attached.
It is new and came with instructions, but not very detailed. It has no sound, it has a weak smoke unit, and ran forward and reverse on a 6' section of track. The instructions don't even tell me about amperage needs or optimum voltage for running.
I am hoping to find someone who has one to learn more about it. A quick check so far tells me it has pickup wheels on the locomotive as well as the tender. I can't find any screws to remove the tender shell, is it just all glued together?
Thank you,
Aflyer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2-8-0.jpg (247.1 KB, 23 views)
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2020, 07:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

Aristocraft got the Delton molds for the 2-8-0. here is what Aristo called it for a document

Classic1_24Delton/80100c-16.pdf

Hope you can find it, if not I have a soft copy that can be emailed to you.
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2020, 08:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Aristocraft got the Delton molds for the 2-8-0. here is what Aristo called it for a document

Classic1_24Delton/80100c-16.pdf

Hope you can find it, if not I have a soft copy that can be emailed to you.
Dan,
Hello and thank you for the response. My first try brought up a manual for a Caterpillar crane. I will keep looking, but if you do not mind emailing it to me that would be great: [email protected]
Thank you,
Aflyer

Old 06-24-2020, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
I have acquired a rather old Delton (Early American Trains) 2-8-0,
I have an early Aristo 2-8-0 which must be pretty much the same as yours. I think I bought it as it said "EBT" on the side!
You'll find the manuals here:
https://www.gscale.net/resources/manuals/aristocraft

Years ago I fitted the sound system from an Aristo slope-back tender in the tender, along with the speaker and a couple of 9.6V NiMH battery packs. (So mine is running on 19.2V. Most Aristos are good for 12-24V.) Inside the loco is an Aristo onboard receiver (5490?) with an accessory relay board (5494) to turn on the sound and lights. [It didn't - I had to build a proper relay board to handle the current going to the sound board in the tender. The sound board is a 20+ yr old design, and it is terrible.] I also swapped the trucks for those on the slopeback, and increased the cab height by 1/2" to make it look more like a 1:20 model. (It's actually 1/24.) In this pic the coach is 1:20.

I had it working when I did a seminar at ECLSTS in 2003, so it pre-dates that! Here's the electronics inside the boiler.

To answer your question, the tender has 4 screws at the corners. They are very well hidden above the trucks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slide0027_insdie-c16-boiler-electronics.jpg (15.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2390-c16-ebt20-8.jpg (76.7 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Pete Thornton; 06-24-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Pete Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2020, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

1 is use manual the other is parts
http://gscale.net/images/manuals/Ari...ion_Manual.pdf
http://gscale.net/images/manuals/Ari...tion_Parts.pdf
choochoowilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2020, 02:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Thornton View Post
I have an early Aristo 2-8-0 which must be pretty much the same as yours. I think I bought it as it said "EBT" on the side!
You'll find the manuals here:
https://www.gscale.net/resources/manuals/aristocraft

Years ago I fitted the sound system from an Aristo slope-back tender in the tender, along with the speaker and a couple of 9.6V NiMH battery packs. (So mine is running on 19.2V. Most Aristos are good for 12-24V.) Inside the loco is an Aristo onboard receiver (5490?) with an accessory relay board (5494) to turn on the sound and lights. [It didn't - I had to build a proper relay board to handle the current going to the sound board in the tender. The sound board is a 20+ yr old design, and it is terrible.] I also swapped the trucks for those on the slopeback, and increased the cab height by 1/2" to make it look more like a 1:20 model. (It's actually 1/24.) In this pic the coach is 1:20.

I had it working when I did a seminar at ECLSTS in 2003, so it pre-dates that! Here's the electronics inside the boiler.

To answer your question, the tender has 4 screws at the corners. They are very well hidden above the trucks!
Pete,

Thanks for the Information, that is much more info than I got in the Delton instructions. That upgrade you did is something I have in mind for down the road.
George
Old 06-24-2020, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoowilly View Post
choochooowilly,
Thank you,
Aflyer
Old 06-24-2020, 05:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Can't compare it to the AristoCraft as they use different motor block systems.

Deltons drive one set of wheels and the rest through the side rods. This is a real weak point with these old engines.

Follow the link for info on the C-16, primarily AristoCraft, but some Delton in there too.
http://www.trainweb.org/girr/tips/tips5/c-16_tips.html
toddalin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2020, 06:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Toney

That is correct Todd, the single gear box is the weak link on the original Delton version of this model. For the OP, keep your trains very short and the track as level as you can and she will run for quite awhile. Typicaly most brands other than LGB were set up for 12 volt power. LGB used 24 volts for max power although most run at much lower voltages. A shop I get most of my G scale from in Zionsville, Indiana has a bunch of Delton rolling stock new or nearly new in the boxes. Some Delton stuff is very high end and made of Brass instead of plastic. Mike
SA#16
Mike Toney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2020, 10:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

toddalin, Mike,
Thanks for the information, I did know there were differences.
Here is a link to some early information I found: Someone else might be interested in seeing it.
http://npcrr.com/Articles/PhilJensen...ensenStory.pdf
Aflyer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in