Rate Steam Locomotives - Page 3 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2020, 12:07 PM   #21 (permalink)

George;

I don't know whether this locomotive will suit your taste, but you may want to consider finding a Hartland Locomotive Works Big John or Paul Bunyan. These locomotives are loosely based on the Dunkirk geared locomotive, a precursor of the Heisler. The locomotive is ugly as sin, but reasonably priced, and can just about pull stumps. I once owned a Bachmann Spectrum Heisler. Coupling the locomotives back-to-back with polarity reversed on the Heisler allowed me to test the Dunkirk's tractive effort. The ugly little Dunkirk would pull the elegant Heisler anywhere he wanted to go -- with the Heisler kicking and screaming all the way.

HLW has announced they have "ceased production indefinitely," but Reindeer Pass and other dealers still have the Dunkirk in stock.

Best wishes, David Meashey

P.S. The layout shown belonged to a friend who has since passed away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BigJohn.JPG (338.4 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Dave Meashey; 06-29-2020 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Correct font
Dave Meashey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 10:38 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Meashey View Post
George;

I don't know whether this locomotive will suit your taste, but you may want to consider finding a Hartland Locomotive Works Big John or Paul Bunyan. These locomotives are loosely based on the Dunkirk geared locomotive, a precursor of the Heisler. The locomotive is ugly as sin, but reasonably priced, and can just about pull stumps. I once owned a Bachmann Spectrum Heisler. Coupling the locomotives back-to-back with polarity reversed on the Heisler allowed me to test the Dunkirk's tractive effort. The ugly little Dunkirk would pull the elegant Heisler anywhere he wanted to go -- with the Heisler kicking and screaming all the way.

HLW has announced they have "ceased production indefinitely," but Reindeer Pass and other dealers still have the Dunkirk in stock.

Best wishes, David Meashey

P.S. The layout shown belonged to a friend who has since passed away.
Dave,
Thank you for the response. That little Dunkirk model looks pretty cool, I wouldn't label it ugly. And if it pulls as you say, that is pretty awesome. I have blown the budget for now, but will keep that Loco on my list.

Your friends layout is awesome, sorry for your loss.
George
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2020, 11:44 AM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Toney

I know the C19 is a nice and highly regarded model. Just not my flavor for garden railroading. I do love the slightly smaller "Annie version" of the 4-6-0 as its to a scale ratio that better matches what I have for rolling stock. I am still running one of the earlier versions of it on my railway with onboard battery power in the tender. Once that drive craps out, I will stick one of those spare chassis in it. But for now its like the pink bunny in those battery commericals, it just keeps going and going and going with the gear noise those earlier drives had. If you got one of the C19's or the ten wheeler, either will serve you very well. Just lay your tracks nice and smooth and enjoy! Maybe one day the dark side of live steam operation will tempt you once the family budget allows such items. I know mine is blown right now after buying a ICRR 382(Casey Jones engine). Now I have to save back up to buy the proper passenger car kits for it to pull. Post up pics when your new engine arrives! Mike
SA#16
Mike Toney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 12:22 PM   #24 (permalink)

Also my era but I prefer small back woods engines, find it hard to beat LGB and H-L-W/Kalamazoo for durability and up until recently LGB only offered mostly European but have expanded their line to include some american models. When I started there was no American and finally they introduced their mogul which is a work horse and recently, a Forney and also a porter saddle tanker so in order to have what I wanted I kit bashed my own from their European models. Bachmann has come a long way since they got into it and find their models to be extremely highly detailed. There are some other good brands out there but price goes up with them, good luck, Bill
choochoowilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2020, 01:42 PM   #25 (permalink)

Its a shame the USRA 0-6-0 that was in final developement by LGB before the original company went bankrupt never made it into production. That would have been an awsome USA style non narrow gauge locomotive. Piko also does a steller 0-6-0 camelback switcher. Of coarse we have the LGB Mogul in its many forms as a steller engine in the garden if smaller non 1:20.3 locos are your thing. Anything from Hartland or even the Kalamazoo stuff that preceded it are good runners with the later needing painted to make them a bit less toy like. Most all take very well to onboard battery power to, especially anything with a tender. The Hartland Dunkirk is one that would require a dedicated trailing car to carry the batteries. There is just no place to put a decent size battery in that one. You will find over time, that onboard battery becomes a very nice idea. Gone is the track polishing, the need to clean rail joints or install rail clamps to keep power flowing. Just clear the leaves and sticks, and run trains.
SA#16
Old 07-01-2020, 09:45 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Toney View Post
I know the C19 is a nice and highly regarded model. Just not my flavor for garden railroading. I do love the slightly smaller "Annie version" of the 4-6-0 as its to a scale ratio that better matches what I have for rolling stock. I am still running one of the earlier versions of it on my railway with onboard battery power in the tender. Once that drive craps out, I will stick one of those spare chassis in it. But for now its like the pink bunny in those battery commericals, it just keeps going and going and going with the gear noise those earlier drives had. If you got one of the C19's or the ten wheeler, either will serve you very well. Just lay your tracks nice and smooth and enjoy! Maybe one day the dark side of live steam operation will tempt you once the family budget allows such items. I know mine is blown right now after buying a ICRR 382(Casey Jones engine). Now I have to save back up to buy the proper passenger car kits for it to pull. Post up pics when your new engine arrives! Mike
Mike,
It's funny, part of the reason I bought the Bachmann 2-8-0, is because I thought the Delton 2-8-0 was too small for the rolling stock I have.

I have several Bachmann big Hauler freight cars, seem to be 1:22 and one lonely Delton wooden trussed hopper car that must be 1:29.

Can't have the Caboose being wider, taller and almost as long as the Locomotive.
I will be doing more shopping and selling as time goes on.
George
Old 07-01-2020, 09:48 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoowilly View Post
Also my era but I prefer small back woods engines, find it hard to beat LGB and H-L-W/Kalamazoo for durability and up until recently LGB only offered mostly European but have expanded their line to include some american models. When I started there was no American and finally they introduced their mogul which is a work horse and recently, a Forney and also a porter saddle tanker so in order to have what I wanted I kit bashed my own from their European models. Bachmann has come a long way since they got into it and find their models to be extremely highly detailed. There are some other good brands out there but price goes up with them, good luck, Bill
Bill,
Thank you for that information. I am learning new stuff everyday.
George
Old 07-01-2020, 10:04 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Toney View Post
Its a shame the USRA 0-6-0 that was in final developement by LGB before the original company went bankrupt never made it into production. That would have been an awsome USA style non narrow gauge locomotive. Piko also does a steller 0-6-0 camelback switcher. Of coarse we have the LGB Mogul in its many forms as a steller engine in the garden if smaller non 1:20.3 locos are your thing. Anything from Hartland or even the Kalamazoo stuff that preceded it are good runners with the later needing painted to make them a bit less toy like. Most all take very well to onboard battery power to, especially anything with a tender. The Hartland Dunkirk is one that would require a dedicated trailing car to carry the batteries. There is just no place to put a decent size battery in that one. You will find over time, that onboard battery becomes a very nice idea. Gone is the track polishing, the need to clean rail joints or install rail clamps to keep power flowing. Just clear the leaves and sticks, and run trains.
Mike,
My shopping locomotives might be done for a while, I see lots of things suggested here that I like a lot, but for now 3 will have to do.

I am reading allot of positive things about battery powering our outdoor trains, and I am guessing I will get there soon.

My current plan is to go ahead and put the track together polishing the joiners and using conductive grease like it will last forever. But realistically understanding that the track cleaning will get old really fast, especially at ground level.

By the way, love you elevated railroad.
Thanks,
George
Old 07-01-2020, 01:36 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
I have several Bachmann big Hauler freight cars, seem to be 1:22 and one lonely Delton wooden trussed hopper car that must be 1:29.
George,
(Did you see my message about the sound card? It would work in your C-19.)

Most Bachmann Big Hauler stuff is 1:22.5, the same nominal scale as LGB. Bachmann made some Spectrum 1:20.3 freight rolling stock which is very nice but made of unobtainium. Accucraft also makes 1:20.3 stock that would suit your C-19.

The Delton (Aristocraft Classic Series) freights are 1:24th, and that wooden hopper is actually almost big enough to be 1:20.3. Kevin and I (among others) use them in our East Broad Top trains.
This pic is a Delton/Aristo wooden hopper next to a Hartford Q&TL wooden hopper (made from wood from a kit) and a Bachmann 2-bay on the left and a bashed caboose on the right. All are 1:20.3 except the Delton/Aristo hopper.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6804C hoppers.jpg (267.1 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Pete Thornton; 07-01-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Pete Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2020, 05:29 PM   #30 (permalink)

Thats George, what 3 engines did you end up with? I just got a new live steamer for my railroad today. I started where your at, ground level and track powered. Then I got the live steam bug, that lead to battery power for the sparkies. Then to elevated instead of ground level after the new family Beagle decided the railway was his place to dig and dump as a puppy. I was ready to go elevated as well, the knees and back really appreciate it. Enjoy the journey and dont fret the little mistakes. Its all part of the journey in large scale. Dont be afraid to mix and match scales. If it looks good to you, then its all good....Rule 1,(or rule 8 if your from the UK) its your railroad. Mike
SA#16

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in