Elevated Railway Structure Designs - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2020, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Elevated Railway Structure Designs

Hi Folks-
I'm in the planning stages of building a small elevated railway in our back yard with a total closed loop run of about 100 ft. I've seen plenty of pictures on this and other sites of different types of elevated structures and can't seem to settle on one design to move forward with. So would anyone be interested in posting some pictures of their elevated railway with pictures of details about how you connect from one vertical support post to the next etc. and the PROS & CONS of your building choice.

Currently I'm planning to use 4x4 treated posts set into precast concrete deck piers but since 4x4 posts aren't available in my area for now I'm considering alternatives. I would like to have a horizontal surface of approx. 18" width on which to put the track and buildings/landscaping.

So any pictures in response to this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Robin Young
hoosier daddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2020, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi Robin,
My advice is always to work with materials you are 'happy' to work with.
Locally we have railways built with wood and also metal.
Mine is in wood as I enjoy working with wood and it's easy to cut, drill and screw.
Bot if you like metal and pop riveting or other ways of doing it, I would make sure that it is material that you understand and enjoy working with.
Mine is all wood with posts sunk in the ground and 2 x 3 and 2 x 4 cross pieces all screwed together with a plywood top cover in self adhesive roofing.
Cheers,
David Leech, Delta, Canada
David Leech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2020, 11:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Robin,
Hi, this is not my work and I hope whoever wrote it doesn't mind me sharing it.
I used this document with some modification and am very happy with how it is turning out.

I don't know how tall you want your track to be, and an 18" wide right of way might be hard with this method.

But here you go for some interesting reading:
https://familygardentrains.com/prime...ed/ladder1.htm

Aflyer
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 11:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Right at the top of the article: Written by Paul D. Race for Family Garden Trains(tm)

At the bottom of the page:
Note: Family Garden Trains?, Garden Train Store?, Big Christmas Trains?, BIG Indoor Trains?, and BIG Train Store? are trademarks of Breakthrough Communications (www.btcomm.com). All information, data, text, and illustrations on this web site are Copyright (c) 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 by Paul D. Race. Reuse or republication without prior written permission is specifically forbidden.
Family Garden Trains is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Always give credit when even linking, it's the best practice and supports the people who are kind enough to share information.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2020, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi David-
I agree that working with the material you're most familiar with seems best advice. For me that would be wood as well. However, 4x4 treated posts like you used aren't available for the time being in Maryland due to Covid (I guess) so am open to other solutions.
Thanks for the picture as well, very much appreciated. I am very big on not trying to re-invent the wheel if not necessary.
Robin
Old 07-13-2020, 01:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Aflyer, I did take a look at your link and, youre' right, this might not be suitable for a wider surface on which to lay track. But this method hasn't been ruled out, either, just collecting ideas at this point.
Robin
Old 07-13-2020, 02:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Greg, this looks quite substantial, maybe overkill for my small empire. My initial idea is to use single vertical 4x4 posts aligned under the track centerline. The posts would be mounted into precast concrete deck piers. From what I've read on another post using this method, they suggested to simply put the piers directly onto the dirt (leveled up, of course) without need for any type of footer. It's how to connect each post that's got me stuck.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
However, 4x4 treated posts like you used aren't available for the time being in Maryland
4" sewer pipe works just as well and fits the deck posts. Just remember to paint it. Then you can use plumbing elbows, etc.

I sent you the PDF from Carl showing how he built his track using deck piers.

Last edited by Pete Thornton; 07-13-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Pete Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2020, 03:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks, Pete, I did get your email and PDF. Exactly what I was looking for.
Robin
Old 07-17-2020, 12:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lord of the Steam

Old blog I put together when I installed my elevated railway: http://calicopotomacrailway.blogspot...d-railway.html

Scott
Follow on Twitter @SmallScaleSteam
scottemcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in