DCC question - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2020, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default DCC question

I am new to DCC. I have a spot on my DCC track where the locomotive slows down a great deal. I replaced the track and all the connectors with new aristo connectors and brand new aristo track. I also used the track connectors that I bought from Anna Kramer and figured that would work and the train still slows down . This is a small rectangular layout with about 20 feet of track. I am using the LGB track connector to run from the digitrax to the track. Should I run a jumper wire to the dead spot? The Loco is a Diesel White Pass & Yukon . The layout is indoors on carpet so I know it will move over time so I moved it around and that did not help. Any other suggesions? I am using a 5 amp Digitrax system which is capable of running 2 big LGB Diesels.
thank you

Michael
mjll1958 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2020, 07:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

One must determine if it really is power, or is it a wheel/track guage issue creating a problem.
For power, remove the joiners and use rail clamps, and even trying to just power the layout from the 'bad' section of track.

Another thought is do all the wheels and sliders conduct power on this engine. Run the engine upside down and try touching power each of the pickup points to see if the engine works.
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2020, 11:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Modulator

What Dan said... how big is this "spot"? length in feet. You did not specify how far it is from the main feed.

If it is a section of track, swap that section for another one.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default DCC problem

The engine is not the problem. I have a interior line and tried on that and it works fine. I already substituted brand new track Aristo track that I had . Some of the connectors were looking a bit dicey so I chanced them out using brans new ones that I had. I put brand new connectors that I had that I had bought from Ana Kramer to hold the track solid too since it is on carpet. I had always used them on my outdoor layouts. The interior line runs fine. I even tried my other loco which I use on the interior line and I have the same problem. This is a new problem. The line worked great for months until a couple of days ago. I thought I may have a shot from a wire running under the track so I used a piece of cardboard to insulate and that doesn't help. I am baffled
Old 09-12-2020, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

The bad part is 7 feet from the connector. When the train hits the connecting wire that brings power it slows down a bit but stops about 6 or 7 feet down the line and then accelerates to normal speed after about 10 0r 15 seconds.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default DCC problem

Just to make sure I cleaned the wheels and pick up shoes a second time and tested the loco on the inner DCC section which works fine and the outer dc section which also works fine. I tried my second and even my third DCC locomotives and have the same problem. This gremlin just started this week after working for months. I even tried changing the location of the connecting wire. I said I even changed the track with new track and put new connectors a new track connectors from Anna Kramer so at this time Iím at a loss. I know I have plenty a transformer or power. I have five I have 5 AMPs.Which can run 2 LGB diesels and I only run 1 at a time..I even use my old cleaning car and ran it around a bunch of times. I even checked For shorts
Old 09-12-2020, 01:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default DCC problems

The original track that I removed was LGB 1 foot track which operated well for over a year. I replaced it with brand new 2 foot aristo 2 foot track and added track joiners and I still have same problem with losing power in a section of track. This is a small layout with only about about 30 feet or less of track and the section that loses power is right after the power connection.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Ok, haveing a little trouble sorting this.

So, it's not the track.... is all of this with the same loco? If so:

1. run the loco in reverse, slows in same spot?
2 take the loco off the track and turn it 180 degrees and put on the track and run again, both directions.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2020, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default DCC problem

I ended up cleaning the loco pick up shoes again and running it on the other the other loop loop of the layout. I used another loco on the same section of the layout. It turned out the big White Pass and Yukon Diesel canít pull more than 9 , 4 axle boxcars with metal wheels and I had 12 cars. I found this out by accident when I put this locomotive on the other loop which has 13 cars which are mostly 4 bay LGB and USA hoppers and tankers and 50 foot box cars and this diesel could not pull this train. This train is pulled by a Uintath or a Sumter Valley. I had recently added 4 cars to that inner loop. After removing those 4 cars and using my Aristo cleaning car and running it around several times it runs great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in