myLargescale.com > Community > Forums - View Single Post - Size comparison of parts for 1/20th scale and 1/13th scale

View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Amber

Default RE: Size comparison of parts for 1/20th scale and 1/13th scale

I've looked at several websites with 1 inch scale parts, but they're always more expensive than 7/8ths scale parts, and most of the 1 inch scale parts are designed for standard gauge equipment. Generally speaking, the parts are bigger than narrow gauge parts. The car that I plan on building with these parts will run on 45 mm gauge track, roughly 2 foot gauge.
The wheels and journal boxes for 1 inch scale trains on 4-3/4s or 5 inch gauge are rather expensive, beyond my current means.
I might only build this one 2 foot gauge ore car, just to use the parts that I have. If it works out well, I might be persuaded to buy more 7/8ths scale wheel sets and parts for another car or 2. :-) At least I have a drawing for this car, unlike my larger cars that I'm not getting anywhere on. It's based on the ore cars of the Iron Mountain Mining Company of western Montana. It's a 2 axle drop bottom wood frame car.
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote