Problem: Threads "blank" after loading - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Problem: Threads "blank" after loading

I am having a problem with many threads on this site when I open them... the window seems to populate with the text and images, and then it blanks out, leaving nothing in the window. Seems to happen to me mostly with the threads about posting images.

I have to reload/refresh the thread many times before it 'sticks'.

Sometimes I have to refresh the page and then click the 'stop' button on the right end of the address text box at "just the right moment" and then I can read the content.

Sometimes the page gets locked-up somehow (won't refresh at all) and I have to close it and re-open it and start over trying to get it to not blank out.

Is that happening to anyone else?

P.S. Greg - Sorry about the derail in the other thread, I was just in "conversation mode" and posted my frustration in that other thread, leading to the derailment. Thanks for the reply.
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2017, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes, two of my local friends are reporting the same thing.
I am NOT having any issues with my Mac.
Is it a PC, or Windows thing?
Regards,
David Leech, Delta, Canada
David Leech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2017, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well... I am running Winders 10 and using I.E.-11... I suppose it could be OS/Browser specific.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Modulator

I was going to ask try it with a different browser.

Does it do it with Edge?

What plugins do you have in IE? Is your IE up to date with latest flash? Java?

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2017, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm having the same trouble. My "Favorite" couldn't get me in to the active forums, so I wrote in a simple "largescale.com" and got the old Home page. I logged in and was taken to the normal home page, but wasn't logged in. So I logged in again, clicked on this thread and it flashed before my eyes, then got a blank white screen, then some odd error screen.

I went thru the entire double-home process again and whooppeee!!! it stuck.

I'm running IE-11 on a three year old desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium (whatever that means) and a terabyte hard drive - this is not a Commodore I'm running. And, I don't think we users should have to explain ourselves. I don't expect to have to try Firefox or Edge (that's another browser, right?), plug out our plugins or up date our flashes. It doesn't matter what equipment we're running. I have two sites of my own and they work with anything this side of a TRS-80. I suggest we all get together and come up with $60; that'll pay for a year's service from the provider I use. Or...is there a site where we can all voice our complaints publicly about the rotten service we're getting from Vwhatsis?

JackM

Serving the transportation needs of the Land of the Crabapple since 2009
JackM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2017, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

No problems here - Win 10 & Firefox
Old 01-13-2017, 04:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

After posting #5 I went back to active forum list, clicked on something, got it for a split second, then blank white page and a little spinny thing going round and round. Typed in "mylargescale.com" and got the old home page. I was still logged in. Went to active forums, clicked on some topic, got the flash, then blank page. Went round and round a couple more times. Giving up. I'll try tomorrow.

Maybe I should spend some time on one of the cars. At least I know when I open the hood, the motor will still be there.

JackM

Serving the transportation needs of the Land of the Crabapple since 2009
JackM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2017, 05:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Jack, I'm a little confused about your part in red below.

If you are mad at the site managers, I can understand.

But it was ME that asked these questions, and yes, you don't have to answer these questions, just like I don't have to help anyone here on the forum.

In any case, if you are having issues, and other people are not (with the same hardware and software0, it's really most likely your computer. Plugins can block ads, and sometimes if the site detects you trying to block ads, it will "show you" and block the page.

So, I hope you understand that, as bad as the site is, this is most likely your computer setup.

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackM View Post
I'm having the same trouble. My "Favorite" couldn't get me in to the active forums, so I wrote in a simple "largescale.com" and got the old Home page. I logged in and was taken to the normal home page, but wasn't logged in. So I logged in again, clicked on this thread and it flashed before my eyes, then got a blank white screen, then some odd error screen.

I went thru the entire double-home process again and whooppeee!!! it stuck.

I'm running IE-11 on a three year old desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium (whatever that means) and a terabyte hard drive - this is not a Commodore I'm running. And, I don't think we users should have to explain ourselves. I don't expect to have to try Firefox or Edge (that's another browser, right?), plug out our plugins or up date our flashes. It doesn't matter what equipment we're running. I have two sites of my own and they work with anything this side of a TRS-80. I suggest we all get together and come up with $60; that'll pay for a year's service from the provider I use. Or...is there a site where we can all voice our complaints publicly about the rotten service we're getting from Vwhatsis?

JackM

Old 01-13-2017, 06:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Had to go away for a while, but now I am back to do more experimenting...

I had trouble even accessing this thread this time. Then it worked okay and has not failed to open properly in dozens of refreshes of the page. I opened another thread and it failed.

So I ran Edge. Had to log-in again since the two browsers do not share cookies. So far I have not experienced a failure using Edge.

So I assume at this point that it is an incompatibility with I.E. and something that is randomly showing up on the web page (a rotating advert maybe?)

But I am one of those 1st class members that should not see adverts. But maybe it senses that one is to be displayed before it decides to not display it, and "punishes" me for using a method to block adverts before it decides to not display the advert.

I suppose that those having trouble might be subscribers to one of the ad-blocking services that update the Hosts file to block advertising and they have the same site blocked as I do. I do NOT subscribe to one of those services, but maintain the Hosts file myself by adding names to it when I discover an obnoxious advertiser, although I have not updated it in nearly a year, so I am doubting that is the cause.

But (again), I think both I.E. and Edge share the use of the Hosts file, so I would expect the same behavior in both if that were the case.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Modulator

I should not see advertisements, since I am at least a "Gold" lifetime member... but I see them if I drop my Adblock Plus and Ghostery.

I figured the no ads thing would not last.

By the way, using the hosts file to redirect stuff is really old technology, rarely used and rarely effective.

Ads are getting more sophisticated.. but the bottom line if Edge works and IE does not, then you have your answer. IE is only there for some backwards compatibility, and IE is going away.

In my opinion, you should use something safer anyway, I like Firefox since it is not owned by Google (Chrome) or Microsoft (Edge, IE) or Apple (Safari).

There is a rich set of plugins for FF that will make it so you don't see junk. I have 3 running and have ZERO problems, and this is on about 10 computers. (Yes I own 10 computers, I'm a sick puppy)

Greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in