myLargescale.com > Community > Forums - View Single Post - Looking for protype LNER Teak info

View Single Post
Old 06-15-2008, 07:28 AM   #17 (permalink)
david bunn

Default RE: Looking for protype LNER Teak info

I have enjoyed reading this thread for so many resons.
Before and after the war my late Dad worked for the LNER and during that time made many long standing friends on the railway, one of these was an assistant station master at Kings Cross and on one memorable day arranged a private visit for Dad and me around Top Shed,in the cabs of A3s,A4s,V2s,A1/2s etc.
Later in life Dad ran a pub and becames friends with the chairman of the 'Sir Nigel Gresley'preservation society which at the time was based at Carnforth. During one of our trips there on a trip pulled by Sir Nigel there was a footplate ride which meant a tight squeeze through the corridor tender, not for the agrophobic!
As a lad of course there was a lot of trainspotting, the best spot for this was at the mouth of Welwyn 'north' tunnel. The sight of the 'Elizabethian' or the 'Scotsman' headed by an A4 blasting out at full throttle with the chime whistle blowing was awesome, driver or fireman always having time for a smile and a wave.
Anyway up to date. I have a large cllection of Dads books and magazines from the 30s,40s and 50s so if there is anything specific I will try and look it up for you.
Regards
Bunny
david bunn is offline   Reply With Quote