myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

myLargescale.com > Community > Forums (https://forums.mylargescale.com/)
-   New Members Forum (https://forums.mylargescale.com/33-new-members-forum/)
-   -   New to G-Scale in AZ (https://forums.mylargescale.com/33-new-members-forum/81057-new-g-scale-az.html)

Huh? What? 06-19-2017 11:58 PM

New to G-Scale in AZ

Hi. My wife and I recently bought a new home with a half acre of landscaped property. We looked at it and decided it needed a garden railroad. I've done n-scale, and some HO, but never G-Scale outdoors, so this is going to be a learning experience.

My wife is busy researching materials to use for track bed. She;s a building inspector who used to teach CAD drafting and construction admin at a college level. She also has architectural experience. I'm a diagnostic electrician, with an electrical Instrumentation degree.

Greg Elmassian 06-20-2017 02:20 AM

there's lots of ways to go, check out my beginner faqs on my site.

Greg 1,127

p.s. welcome!

Huh? What? 06-20-2017 08:23 AM

I'll take a look, thanks.

Stan Cedarleaf 06-20-2017 11:06 AM

Where in Central Arizona have you landed???? :) :) :cool:

Greg Elmassian 06-20-2017 11:12 AM

You can tell by his user name... it's HOT...

Greg

Huh? What? 06-20-2017 11:21 AM

Actually, we just left Prescott Valley. We're down in the Yarnell area now.

Pete Thornton 06-20-2017 01:59 PM

Welcome. Looks like you've got a good skill set between you!

For track bed, many folk use 'crusher fines' or 'rock dust'. Same stuff used under flagstone paths. 4" well tamped down will provide a solid base. I found a 4" trenching shovel at Home Depot and used that to make the trench for the ballast.
Others use concrete, or run the track on blocks/bricks.

Finally, you may want to elevate it a little. A raised garden reduces back strain and cuts damage to the track from little feet. But that means a lot of walls and backfilling. Alternatively, a raised (3'-ish) wooden platform will make life easy though it is less like a 'garden' railway.

There are dozens of threads here on this topic. The easiest way to find them is to google "site:mylargescale.com track bed" or something similar.

Treeman 06-20-2017 11:56 PM

The ladder method using PVC pipe driven into the ground, then screwing two PVC 1X to each side of the pipe seems to be very piratical and popular.

Stan Cedarleaf 06-21-2017 09:03 AM

When I had the layout in Dewey, I used 3/8 minus decomposed Granite for my roadbed and let the track "float" in it. With the heat expansion of brass track, I found it the easiest to maintain. That was just my choice.

A "cloth" weed barrier was used under the entire layout area, covered with 3 inches of DG, then the track laid on that and more DG added under the track to form the roadbed. Other landscaping was added over the base of DG as well..

We moved from the Country Club in Dewey to a retirement community in PV a year and a half ago so all has been dismantled and sold.. :D :)

Huh? What? 06-21-2017 08:03 PM

We lived over on the back side of PV until March when we bought a half acre with house, koi pond and about 30 trees including oak, maple, peach, apple, plum, and grape vines near Yarnell. Now we have space to set up a layout. I've never worked outdoors, or with g-scale, so this should be fun.